Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Have You Ever Walked Out on a Movie...

Ever Leave the Theater in Mid-Movie?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I walked out of The Crow because my ex-girlfriend went to the bathroom and didn't come back.
Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Let's go Brandon Lee Loy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and if it turns out to be a girl, Brenda Leigh Loy.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I walked out on The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

Of course, it was like the 6th time I'd seen it, but my girlfriend made it to the part where they

cut out Pup's belly button

and she said "I'm leaving. You can stay if you want." I debated for a moment, then decided Yeah, I'd better go...

Years later she did the same thing with Closet Land. This was after we'd broken up but were still friends--and I'd rented the movie not knowing what it was about, just knowing we both liked Madeline Stowe and Alan Rickman. Her parting shot was "You always know how to pick 'em."

I felt nonplussed...like the look on Jack Nicholson's face in The Shining when Shelley Duvall accuses him of abusing their son after Danny goes into Room 237...

The only other movie I left was Coma, which I snuck into when I was about 9. Bad idea. I snuck back out, because roomfuls of bodies was a bit too much for me at that age. And a blue Tom Selleck with his tongue kinda pokin' out was just, like, yuck.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

I've never walked out of a movie in my memory. Of course, since I don't get paid to review films, it's rare that I see a movie that I don't have some interest in.

However, a friend of mine once walked out of Coyote Ugly when we went to see it. I stayed to "enjoy" it. blushing.gif

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

The Whole Nine Yards -- I was watching it at a dollar theater with a friend, and about half-way through, the movie became so predictable that my friend said, "You wanna go?" I don't regret it.

The only DVD I can remember stopping intentionally was Angels in America. There was a homosexual sex scene that sickened me. Really, the sound of it sickened me. I've seen worse on Six Feet Under, but there was something particularly upsetting about it at that exact moment.

Now if you asked how many times I've walked out of a church... that would've been a much higher number.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Totally forgot--I walked out of Showgirls because I was paged to come back to work 15 minutes before the end. I really could have waited...but nah.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Totally forgot--I walked out of Showgirls because I was paged to come back to work 15 minutes before the end. I really could have waited...but nah.

Alan, this post needs to be somehow incorporated into Jason's title ASAP. wink.gif

When I was five or so I was scared to death by the big storm in American Tail and had to leave.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

Yes: A friend of mine, her family and I went to see a showing of the film "1776"

at NYC's Radio City Music Hall some thirty years ago, when I was visiting her. That film was SOOOO boring that we both walked out in the middle of it and waited in the ladies lounge of Radio City Music Hall until it was over. We weren't the only ones--there were these two older women who'd also walked out of "1776" and who were laughing to each other about it.

Never walked out... but I've fallen asleep a few times.

Oops! blushing.gif

Just realized I told a fib. Back in 1985 I was on a date and we went to see the rerelease of Fantasia. I was not a true cinema afficionado yet (that began in earnest in 1988) and I didn't realize that Fantasia was a set of animated sequences without a strong plot holding it together. Both my girlfriend and I were bored and decided to try the new Timothy Hutton movie, "Turk 182!."

We shouldn't have skipped Fantasia and we should have walked out of Turk 182! blink.gif

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

When I was really young, my mother carried me out of the theatre when I got scared during The Elephant Man. That movie still kind of creeps me out.

I wish I had left Dangerous Beauty. I had difficulties with the premise of defend your local prostitute.

I fell asleep during The Truman Show.

The closest I ever came to walking out was during "The Rookie" with Clint Eastwood and Charlie Sheen. The female on male rape scene was bad enough but the ending was so morally offensive I was tempted to leave. And bear in mind, at that time in my life I was a high school kid who mostly watched dumb action movies and not much else. (I'd like to believe my tastes have improved since then.)

Just recently, I walked out of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' - come to think of it, this may've been the first time I walked out of a movie. I just found it very unfunny; plus, I was tired, and the special effects were giving me a headache.

Edited by Andrew

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I have walked out of at least two films.

Blue Velvet. First time I saw it the zooming in on the ear almost gave me a panic attack - and then I spent the rest of the time before leaving waiting for a particular torture scene someone had told me would be in the film. After a while I just decided that this isn't any fun, so what is the point, and left.

Since I have seen Blue Velvet several times. It turned out the torture scene didn't even exist. And it is now definitely on my top 200 list.

I also walked out on 1900 because I got very irritated for some obscure reason which now elude me. THis is also a film I have watched and enjoyed in it's entirety later.

If the circumstances under which I had seen it had been different, I would easily have walked out on The Cat in the Hat. Alas, when I saw it I was killing time before a party, so walking out would have been just as much a waste of time as staying.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

Link to new 'Movies you walked out on' thread. (Perhaps they should be merged?)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I knew the new thread sounded familiar. Thanks for reminding us Russ and from keeping me from saying the same exact thing.

Also, Peter just because one might follow his wife out of a theater does not mean he is whipped; love and respect are also shown in this way. Enjoy marriage! :)

Edited by Thom(asher)

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I have walked out on three films in my life: Prizzi's Honour and Liquid Sky through sheer boredom, and The Honeymoon Killers in order not to miss the last train home.

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)

The closest I've ever come to walking out on a movie was shutting off my rental of The Apostle. I think it was shortly after Robert Duvall attacked a man with a baseball bat and I felt the movie was going nowhere I cared about. However this was long long before I got "into" film, I'd say.

The ones I can remember:

Risky Business: couldn't figure out why every woman present wasn't walking out

The Emerald Forest: hamfisted symbolism

Michael: what a bore

King Kong: got our money back

On DVD? Too many to list or remember. The latest: Gods and Generals.

Greg Wright

Managing Editor, Past the Popcorn

Consulting Editor, Hollywood Jesus

Leader of the Uruk-Howdy, Orcs of the West

The closest I've ever come to walking out on a movie was shutting off my rental of The Apostle. I think it was shortly after Robert Duvall attacked a man with a baseball bat and I felt the movie was going nowhere I cared about. However this was long long before I got "into" film, I'd say.

Yeah, I think you might want to revisit it and see where the film goes from there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg Wright, what did you tell them to get your money back? "This film stinks, I want my money back?" Wow, I've gotta remember that one next summer.

For Kong though, maybe you should've stayed. It all pays off when they shoot that hairy ape off the building. You're just like, YES!, they finally kilt him.

And from there The Stinker is done.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Greg Wright, what did you tell them to get your money back? "This film stinks, I want my money back?" Wow, I've gotta remember that one next summer.

For Kong though, maybe you should've stayed. It all pays off when they shoot that hairy ape off the building. You're just like, YES!, they finally kilt him.

And from there The Stinker is done.

-s.

Stef:

Spoiler tags, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze. :shock:

I have walked out on three films in my life: Prizzi's Honour and Liquid Sky through sheer boredom, and The Honeymoon Killers in order not to miss the last train home.

Ha! Prizzi's Honor was a movie I walked out on (tho it was a VCR viewing with friends at Jesus People). Two killers in love? Who cares?! Someone told me the ending later and I was *so* glad I hadn't bothered. I'm a bit of a freak, movie-wise, though. I hate violence in film unless the violence is predictable (i.e., Eastwood or Arno or some such cotton candy). Just to prove I'm a wimp: The opening scene of "The Fugitive" was enough to make the rest of the movie no fun for me. Too close to real. Maybe that's why I like movies considered "chick flicks"? Hehehehe.... oh, man, am I in trouble now.