Looks like it's a dead link.

Edited by opus

Looks like it's a dead link.

just worked for me

but here's what it said

Video games get religion

SAN ANSELMO, Calif. (AP, 7/12/05 )

Edited by Darrel Manson

So when it comes to the real gory parts in the Bible, what do they do, show actual graphics? I can just imagine.

Exodus 4:25

25 But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it. "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me," she said.

25 But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it.  "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me," she said.

I wonder what kind of graphics card you'll need for that?!?

I read a similar article a few weeks ago, which touched off a pretty loud debate (which didn't come as a surprise, frankly).

Personally, I'd love to see more thought-provoking, thematic games - regardless of genre - and I think this is one area where Christians could really shine. But most "Christian" video game companies seem interested only in churning out Christian versions of Doom or Half-Life where, instead of blasting aliens, you're an angel blasting demons (though, to be fair, that's what you're doing in Doom). Who knows, maybe we'll see a "Christian" version of Grand Theft Auto where you try to witness to the prostitutes rather than get them in your car.

IIRC, weren't the brothers who created Myst - one of the most popular games of all time - Christians? So does Myst count as a Christian game? There's not a single bit of bloodshed in the game, it's a fairly slow and contemplative game, and people still responded in a huge way. I suppose the game hasn't aged too well, but even so, why not focus on what made that game so fascinating - the worlds that it inspired, the focus on mystery and artistry - rather than try to Christian-ize whatever is "cool"?

You think Christians would learn from their experiences in the music biz... try to capitalize on whatever's cool, and you risk becoming even more alienated and ostracized from the general culture.

IIRC, weren't the brothers who created Myst - one of the most popular games of all time - Christians?
Yes...in fact, they still are. An acquaintance of mine knows them personally. Their approach to creating the games is very fascinating to me, but I can't find any of the articles that I've read. IIRC, they're both very interesting in writing these games/stories as a way of doing something like Tolkien's idea of sub-creation. Furthermore, they talk about the importance of writing "truthful" stories that are, nevertheless, not Christian allegories.

I have an FPS (First Person Shooter) called Catechumen that I played about 1/3 of the way through. It was interesting enough--fighting demons, 'healing' by picking up scrolls containing Bible verses to strengthen the resolve--the biggest problem that ultimately led to my abandoning it was the technology. I was used to competing in superfast 360 degree rotational, international, online league-ladders for Quake 2. Catechumen was much slower, the rendering wasn't nearly as advanced and the monsters/demons were blocky...and the suspense/endorphines were pretty much non-existent. I played for a while because I felt obligated to give a Christian game a shot, to support the team that made it--but ultimately, it didn't deliver.

Most likely my (excessive) gaming experience has jaded me to anything but the time-sucking, brain-numbing, adrenaline-milking games that are probably directly from the enemy's top producers...