Sign in to follow this  
DanBuck

A Cowardly Daredevil

As I try to put down my thoughts on this film I can't help but be struck by how ironic it is that a film entitled "daredevil" is in fact, so un-daring.

I was truly disappointed by this film. And for those of you who require info on my comic background I was not a comic reader but here's where I fall (Loved: both X-men and Batman pt. I - was non-plussed by: Spiderman and Hated: All the other Batmans, the Shadow and now... Dardevil).

What a truly horrible parade of cliche's. And not even playful acknowlegdement of cliche's ala Scream, but just blind wandering through rehashed images and ideas. Affleck was uninspired, Garner is eye candy and nothing more. The film makers didn't follow their own rules for reality (i.e. gunshots can be dodged without a problem, but a pipe organ deafens him) and the CGI was some of the worst I have seen. Everytime I saw some, I had trouble not laughing. The religious imagery was horribly sloppy, and the villian was truly uninspired.

A real waste of an evening. It sent me to bed pissed off. And I hate that.

I was truly disappointed by this film.

For what it's worth, i was a huge Daredevil comic fan. It was probably my favorite comic in history, up there with Iron Man and a few other mini-series' like Wolverine and the Beast. If you think YOU were disappointed, think of the disappointment from someone who was truly in love with this fascinating hero. I wanted wanted wanted wanted to enjoy this film, even as i exited the theater i tried to make a list of excuses why i could learn to like it. But time has shown me that the film was nothing like the comic, a unique and awesome picture of a hero's hero -- written, penned and inked with extraordinary artistic flavour -- but next to its monument is now just another crappy movie that caters to the 13 and under crowd (note the soundtrack).

What a truly horrible parade of cliche's.

Yeah, i'm not gonna take up any defense against that statement. I do, however, feel compelled for the sake of my hero to let you know that the original comic was not a parade of cliches. Especially the issues penned by Frank Miller in the 80s (actually it's this part of the series that i loved, the rest is good but not as good as those done by Miller). Miller brought a whole new definition and meaning to what could be involved and created thru the comic medium. It was a higher standard than anything that ever went before it. It deserved to be made into a movie -- but not this one.

A real waste of an evening.  It sent me to bed pissed off. And I hate that.

Sorry, bud. I can feel your pain. It was mine after Sweet Home Alabama.

-s.

Just posting a link to our previous discussion of this film, which in turn links back to our original discussion of this film on the mother board.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Wasn't sure if this should go in the DVD section. Anyways...

From DVDFile:

at last announced is the much rumored Daredevil: Director's Cut, which Fox Home Entertainment will release on November 30th. Boasting over 20 minutes of additional footage, the flick will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1, and extras include a new audio commentary by director Mark Steven Johnson and Avi Arad and "The Making of the Director's Cut" featurette. Retail will set you back a mere $19.95, and note that the current theatrical version will remain on the market.

I'd be interested to see if this cut can improve the movie.

Edited by Clint M

Because you have NO DECENCY!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Don't get me started. I was the angriest not about DD, but what they did to my teenage crush, Elektra.

"Let's see...brooding, half-mad Greek who speaks only when necessary...oh, yes! The All-American Jennifer Garner! And one-liners! And riches! And and and..."

Garner did a good job--as a character completely unrelated to the original.

Edited by Jason Bortz

Because you have NO DECENCY!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Don't get me started. I was the angriest not about DD, but what they did to my teenage crush, Elektra.

"Let's see...brooding, half-mad Greek who speaks only when necessary...oh, yes! The All-American Jennifer Garner! And one-liners! And riches! And and and..."

Garner did a good job--as a character completely unrelated to the original.

I take it you aren't planning to see the Elektra movie, then?

I take it you aren't planning to see the Elektra movie, then?

....no.

Just a note to the effect that I have updated the link above to our earlier, and more in-depth, discussion of this film.

Indeed, come to think of it, I would not be opposed to merging this thread with that one. (I would, however, be opposed to merging that thread with this one.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Not even this teaser?

I see she adheres to the Catwoman rule of female enpowerment: wear outfits as ill suited to your profession but as 'hormonely stimulating' to teenage boys as possible.

So, yeah, it has all the requirements of the genre. Double knives against double swords, a scene with a bo-stick. So far, so Tomb Raider. But is there anything to make anyone *care* about this film existing?...

Phil.

Jennifer Garner is in it.

I stand corrected biggrin.gif

Phil.

Jeez. This clip just makes it look like... is it possible?... a knock-off of Catwoman. That is, the Halle Berry Catwoman. Does anyone remember that movie anymore?

Alas, I fear that Garner has taken the road more heavily traveled... the road of "I'll take anything that's offered me so long as it's glamorous."

Jeez. This clip just makes it look like... is it possible?... a knock-off of Catwoman. That is, the Halle Berry Catwoman. Does anyone remember that movie anymore?

Having just seen both Kill Bill films this clip reminded me a little more of those than Catwoman. Elektra didn't strike me as being so blatant about the sexploitation of its main character. Sure, the costume alone does that, but I almost puked when I saw the trailer for Catwoman. Elektra was eye candy but more about action than erections.

Wow am i a sucker. I am going to see it for sure.

-s.

I plan to... but since Netflix doesn't seem to be carrying it, I'm going to have to hie to my local video store at some point. And since I'm currently in the throes of my end-of-the-year push to complete my planned body of reviews, it'll probably have to wait till next year.

Since this is the closest thing to an active Elektra thread ...

What a half-assed movie. Daredevil had star power -- Affleck, Garner, Farrell, even Favreau and Duncan qualify as recognizable faces, if not quite names -- but Elektra has, um, Garner and Terrence Stamp, as the sensei who brought her back to life (and how exactly did he get involved in her life anyway? was it before or after she died? the film never says). And that's it. Not even a remotely decent villain. One gets the impression the studio didn't have enough faith in the material to go looking for any bankable stars. And they sure weren't interested in giving any of the local Vancouver-based actors a chance to strut their stuff, either.

Garner spends much of the film trying to protect some teenaged girl named Abby (does this draw on anything in the comics, I wonder?). So, naturally, I was reminded of all that teenaged stuff Garner did in 13 Going on 30. Whoops. Probably not the sort of happy-go-lucky, bubble-gummy, romantically-dreamy confection one should be thinking of while watching a hard-assed assassin fight other hard-assed assassins.

Except, um, the fight scenes are so lame, too. My friend Charlie pointed out that, for all the fuss made over quarterstaffs in the training scenes (and in one very pronounced visual, when Elektra is told to quit her training), we never see anyone actually FIGHT with one. And the fight scenes feature very little actual fighting and a whole, whole lot of special effects (people zip around like hummingbirds whenever it's convenient for them NOT to be hit, and they stand there and take the hits whenever the story requires them to BE hit after all).

Of course, there was also much tittering at the tittilating views of Garner's hooker-red outfit, especially near the end of the film.

Oh, and there's no Ben Affleck cameo. I guess we'll have to wait for the inevitable deleted scenes on the DVD.

So, like I say, a half-assed movie in a big way. And certainly not as operatically over-the-top enjoyably bad as Catwoman. But of course, it's January, the month of lameness.

'Coach Carter' Wins Box-Office Tourney

Jennifer Garner's action flick "Elektra," a spinoff of the Marvel Comics adaptation "Daredevil," finished fifth with $12.5 million. That was less than a third of the weekend haul for "Daredevil," which debuted as the No. 1 movie in February 2002.

Associated Press, January 16

Samuel L. Jackson No. 1 'Coach' at Box Office

Samuel L. Jackson scored the first hit movie of the year at the North American box office on Sunday with the basketball drama "Coach Carter," which ended the three-week reign of "Meet the Fockers." Jennifer Garner, meanwhile, dropped the first bomb of the year with her superheroine saga "Elektra," which opened at No. 5 amid withering reviews. . . . "Elektra" (20th Century Fox) came in with about $12.5 million. Even Halle Berry's unloved "Catwoman" did better, opening to $16.7 million last July. "It was a little softer than I would have hoped," said Bruce Snyder, president of domestic theatrical distribution at the News Corp.-owned studio. His target was $15 million. The movie, based on a Marvel Comics character introduced in 2003's similarly underwhelming "Daredevil," was budgeted in the mid-$30 million range, Snyder added. "X-Files" veteran Rob Bowman directed.

Reuters, January 16

Saw Elektra last night. Didn't think it was even half as bad as Peter described above. I guess I went into it expecting very little; I loathed Daredevil the movie after loving the comic book all my life, and I expected a continuation of the Elektra lame-ness from that film. But it wasn't half as bad as Daredevil, unless you count the fact that, as a whole, as noted above, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. (We don't ever really understand any of her mythology or the choices she makes, but here's to living in the moment of film.)

There were things to like though. I liked the fact that they could've chosen to make Jennifer Garner a whole lot more glamorous than they did. And the "hooker-red" outfit Peter describes wasn't all that showy, IMO, just the same outfit she always wore in the comics. True to the comic, sure, she was sexy, but more because of her strength and sais than anything else. They took out a lot of what ticked me off about Elektra in Daredevil -- which was that she was not much more than a Matt Murdock Boy Toy -- and maybe that made me a little happier about her character, at the very least. Not to mention the fact that Ben Affleck just didn't cut it as Daredevil, whereas Garner is more believable, and her icy vibes do bring the original character to life.

I liked finally seeing The Hand on the big screen. I wish Marvel would make a motion picture experience out of the Wolverine mini-series -- now there's a dream to dream.

I liked the music. There were some sweeping backward reverb effects at one point that I really thought was a good touch. Also the heavy snare drum patterns when she was holding the bow and arrow, as well as small touches here and there that nicely went with the action. Nothing spectacular, but nothing all that bad either.

I guess I wouldn't recommend it to anyone interested in film, but I would tell fans of the original Daredevil comics to see it. It took me back to the comic book world that I really enjoyed as a kid, something that Daredevil did not do for me because they tried to stuff too much into it (and Kingpin, I'm sorry, but -- are there no fat white bald actors left? Because that is what the Kingpin is).

I saw it much like I'm seeing the last Star Wars film tonight -- out of a sense of obligation. Almost that it is my cultural responsibility to see Star Wars, especially the finale, and that it is my responsibility to myself to see Elektra after all the years of reading Daredevil comics. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, and there were even a few things that brought me back to the days of my youth.

-s.

Edited by stef