"I've never seen...." Confessions

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen any of the Rambo movies.

You mean because they are about you?

No, because they're not angry.gif I'm very peaceful. My father's ancestors are doctors, ministers, and missionaries.

At the same time, there's no such thing as bad publicity. unsure.gif

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Russ and Doug, I'll remedy the Dreyer situation soon. Both Vampyr and Joan are in my queue. Too bad Netflix doesn't carry Ordet; I requested that they purchase it long ago.

Cool, Diane, you're in for a serious treat, especially with Joan. And don't let the poor quality of the Vampyr DVD detract from your enjoyment of the film; a restoration is on its way.

It would be interesting to know just how many times the Dreyer box set has been requested at Netflix. I'd say at least a dozen people from this board alone have done so.

Incidentally, Vampyr is the latest addition to the BFI Film Classics book series, to be released shortly:

user posted image

Doug is right on this one. I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc, and think that it actually a fairly accessable film for someone who is interested in expanding their film interests. I didn't find it as "frusterating" as I would have expected. However, Joan is the only Dreyer I've seen.

Peter, I'm shocked that you haven't seen A Man For All Seasons. blink.gif

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Anders wrote:

: Peter, I'm shocked that you haven't seen A Man For All Seasons. blink.gif

A number of people are. FWIW, I've had the library's VHS copy sitting at my work station for weeks, now, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Take that as a sign of my anticipatory respect for the film -- I don't want to have it playing in the background while I do other stuff, the way I do with some of the less important films.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Bell, Bare And Beautiful (1963)

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Peter:

So ... combining the IMDB Top 250 and the Oscar-winners list ... the films I should prioritize, perhaps, would be The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), The Apartment (1960), Midnight Cowboy (1969), Patton (1970) and The Deer Hunter (1978).

Hmmm... No, no, no. Looking at your list, I'd say:

Mr Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Cinema Paradiso (1989)

Cool Hand Luke (1967)

The Hustler (1961)

Roman Holiday (1953) (Right on, Anders!)

Harvey (1950)

Miller's Crossing (1990) (Dan's the man!)

You Can't Take It with You (1938)

A Man for All Seasons (1960)

Now, films I haven't seen (taken laregly from the IMDB top 250):

Cinema Paradiso (Interesting, I'm so sure it's good, I recommend it without having seen it)

ET

Titanic

Pulp Fiction (in it's entirety)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (although I've rented it three times)

Sunset Blvd.

Apocalypse Now

Chinatown

The Maltese Falcon

The Sting

The Elephant Man

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Russ and Doug, I'll remedy the Dreyer situation soon. Both Vampyr and Joan are in my queue. Too bad Netflix doesn't carry Ordet; I requested that they purchase it long ago.

Odd, but when I read your confession, Diane, the first Dreyer film that popped into my head as one you might like was Day of Wrath. Does Netflix have that one?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Using the AFI top 100 list, here are the movies I have not seen:

Lawrence of Arabia

All About Eve

Chinatown

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Raging Bull

E.T. The Extra-terrestrial

The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

The Godfather Part II

It Happened One Night

Midnight Cowboy

The Best Years of Our Lives

Doctor Zhivago

The Birth Of A Nation

Taxi Driver

The Philadelphia Story

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Third Man

Fantasia

Tootsie

The Manchurian Candidate

Shane

Ben-Hur

Dances with Wolves

Giant

Platoon

Duck Soup

Mutiny on the Bounty

Frankenstein

Easy Rider

The Jazz Singer

A Place In The Sun

Goodfellas

The Searchers

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

• 1 month later...
So ... combining the IMDB Top 250 and the Oscar-winners list ... the films I should prioritize, perhaps, would be The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), The Apartment (1960), Midnight Cowboy (1969), Patton (1970) and The Deer Hunter (1978).

Well, I can scratch Midnight Cowboy off my list now. Don't know why, but I recently went on an early-Jon-Voight kick and picked up this film, Deliverance, and Coming Home from the library. I watched Midnight Cowboy yesterday and Deliverance today. Interesting...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Still haven't seen:

The Godfather

Casablanca

Fritz Lang's Metropolis

Superman II

The Decalogue

E.T.

Schindler's List

Dances with Wolves

The Last of the Mohicans

Lawrence of Arabia

Mystic River

On the other hand, though, I've caught up with these titles over the last month. My shame is now lessened:

Citizen Kane

Nosferatu

Superman: The Movie

Braveheart

Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn

Jaws

Reservoir Dogs

Million Dollar Baby (bleah)

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

I am pleased to announce that I have now seen all the films in the world, and have no more shame.

Godfathers I-III

Any Rambo movie. I have my reasons.

Taxi Driver

Deliverance

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill 1 or 2

The Usual Suspects

Miller's Crossing

A Simple Plan

Reservoir Dogs

Eyes Wide Shut

The Blair Witch Project

The Exorcist

Alien 1, 3, or 4 (I saw Aliens to please the guy I was dating at the time; I never made that mistake again)

Closer

And probably a whole boatload of fine films I just didn't want to see.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Godfather III

Platoon

Lawrence of Arabia

The Blair Witch Project

The Erotic Witch Project

Or in fact Nosferatu or A Canterbury Tale

Matt

Ok, Ok. Someday soon, when The Dissertation is done. You can buy me more films in the mean time if you like.

: You can buy me more films in the mean time if you like.

Ha, fat chance. I'm taking this personally...

As for me, I have been consciously tracking down missed clasics, and the reason I still haven't seen a Rocky, Rambo or Police Academy film is because they don't fit into that bracket. In fact there's not much now that I feel I haven't seen that I really should have (although there are 37 still to go on the 2004 Top 100), probably the only ones that people would be surprised at are any of the Alien films, and Titanic.

Now films I still feel I need to see is a different matter...

Matt

Edited by MattPage

Just how old are you?

I'm 6,791 years old. I began watching movies day and night on my third birthday, knowing I'd need to get a head start on things before films started coming out too fast to keep up. Needless to say, I haven't necessarily seen final cuts of all those films - get real! - but often had to settle for pre-release screeners, which may differ from the final, commercially released version, which often didn't reach the theatres for several millenia after my sneak preview.

Ron

Ron is the fourth person of the trinity. He got squeezed out though when someone pointed out that if he joined they wouldn't necessarily be a trinity.

But it explains why we agree on so much....

Matt

Ron is the fourth person of the trinity. He got squeezed out though when someone pointed out that if he joined they wouldn't necessarily be a trinity.

But it explains why we agree on so much....

Matt

laugh.gif