Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

inklings do cosmic battle with crowley!

The local matushka (priest's wife -- she's also a writer in her own right) just alerted me and some other Christian sci-fi buffs to this announcement:

HEAVEN'S WAR

(W) Micah Harris

(A) Michael Gaydos

BW 120pp $12.95 Graphic Novel

In stores the week of November 19th.

THE CONCEPT:

1938: As the world moves toward global war, a secret angelic battle is waged in the heavenly realms to determine mankind's fate. The infamous Aleister Crowley plans to manipulate those angelic struggles and thus shape the world according to his will.

Only "The Inklings" -- fantasy authors J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams -- oppose him. They must decipher a landscape of sacred geometry to intercept Crowley at the threshold of heaven. And, for one of the Inklings, the pursuit will reach outside time itself.

The battle begins in November.

COPYRIGHT:

Heaven's War TM and © Micah Harris and Michael Gaydos, 2003. All rights reserved.

Anyone know anything about these comic-book writers/artists?

The name "Micah Harris" sounds familiar to me, but I don't know why. I'm trying to imagine CSL, JRRT, and CW as action heroes and failing miserably, but doubtless in the heavenly realms they've achieved quite different personae--we know they all had champions' souls.

smile.gif

DanBuck wrote:

: It sounds like a Christian League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Speaking of which, isn't the new Gentlemen series all about Mars, and does it not include Lewis's aliens along with the aliens created by Burroughs and Wells, etc.?

Anyhoo, an e-pal turned up this five-page preview of Heaven's War on the artist's web site, featuring what seems to be a meeting between Crowley and Williams:

http://www.michaelgaydos.com/news/hw_index.html

A friend of mine who is a HUGE Williams fan saw this and said, "Gadzooks! Actually the concept could really work. Someone obviously liked 'War in Heaven' and it seems to me that this concept makes Williams more or less the key Inkling in all of this. (That and the fact that he knew Crowley, I believe.) . . . Actually you could probably apply certain alchemical concepts - Tolkien being Earth, Lewis being Water, Williams being Air and Crowley (no surprise here) being Fire. Wonder what Tolkien and Lewis' descendents would have to say?"

This is actually getting alot more buzz than I expected. One of the chief comic review sites (www.thefourthrail.com) posted it in their "Previews for September" column and they were fairly positive toward it. It's being published by Image too, which is, after Marvel and DC, the 3rd biggest funnybook publisher.

Compared to former forays by Christians in to comics, this seems to have quite a bit of credibility. Cool.