Sign in to follow this  
Persona

AUDITION

I saw from Darryl's journal that this was a recent viewing. What'd you think? Is Miike the true face of the real gore scene or what?! wink.gif This had to be the only film i've ever seen that started out as the Courtship of Eddie's Father and ended up as Wes Craven's New Nightmare times ten. I'm still not sure what to make of it, and it's been seven months or so since i saw it so some of the details are a little fuzzy, but didn't it give us the option in the end that maybe it was "all a dream?" And was the dead guy in the bag rolling all over the apartment floor ever fully explained?

I have to say that in terms of films that make complete genre transition in the middle of the story (i.e. From Dusk Til Dawn, etc.) the mystery and then sudden force of the twist into horror and decline was riveting. The ending was very hard to watch, but from about the halfway point, the genre twister was slipping fast and hard into darkness, and i can understand why it ended up there. It seemed appropriate, in a twisted way, i suppose.

Anyway, Darryl, i don't think anyone else has seen this, i was just curious as to what your thoughts were fresh from seeing it.

-s.

stef:

This had to be the only film i've ever seen that started out as the Courtship of Eddie's Father and ended up as Wes Craven's New Nightmare times ten.

Ha! Wonderful description!

I'm still not sure what to make of it, and it's been seven months or so since i saw it so some of the details are a little fuzzy, but didn't it give us the option in the end that maybe it was \"all a dream?\"

Well, no. But it did make us think that we were going to get that option. I thought this part of the film was excellently done. I suppose you could be critical and say that it had one too many endings, but I think it played around very effectively with continuity and actually has a few nice surprises regarding that.

And was the dead guy in the bag rolling all over the apartment floor ever fully explained?

Well, he wasn't dead. Just missing a tongue, his feet and some fingers if I remember correctly. I assumed he was the briefly mentioned missing record company executive -- but I suppose he could be someone else, I don't think it was definitely said.

The character I was confused by was the dance instructor. Was he a victim of the girl or a tormentor? Or both?

The ending was very hard to watch, but from about the halfway point, the genre twister was slipping fast and hard into darkness, and i can understand why it ended up there. It seemed appropriate, in a twisted way, i suppose.

As I said, I thought it did some wonderful things with its continuity. And I think it actually said a lot about how we can be blind to attraction and blinded by attraction, if not love. I thought it was surprisingly thoughtful for a horror/mystery/thriller (which, of course, started out as something completely different). Although, I thought the end went a little over-the-top without adding anything but gore.

Overall, an interesting movie, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it to many...

Overall, an interesting movie, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it to many...

Yep. It's one in which the ending was so over-the-top that i couldn't recommend it based on the last half hour or so. But the intro was so campy, so light hearted... I wouldn't have thought from the start that it was going there.

It was also interesting to see what the horror genre can do with real characters, instead of just the Grade A teen-star prototypes of Jason and Freddy and all its look-alikes.

The character I was confused by was the dance instructor. Was he a victim of the girl or a tormentor? Or both?

I can't remember. Seems he was a person in her life that sexually abused and humiliated her. But it also seems like she later went after him... It's been too long, and i'm not planning on watching it again, so we may never know.

I thought the director's words about watching the crowd and waiting for the time when a certain percentage of people would walk out was pretty interesting. He seemed to celebrate those who couldn't finish his film.

Has anyone else seen any other films by Miike?

-s.

Has anyone else seen any other films by Miike?

I've only seen bits and pieces, and based on that (admittedly) limited experience, I got the impression "Audition" is probably the "tamest" of his films. From what I've seen and based on what I've read, his films are epitome of "over the top", utilizing excessive violence (much of it very misogynistic), disturbing themes (incest, necrophilia, S&M), and a major fascination with bodily fluids.

I'm not trying to dismiss his films. Since I've seen so little of them, that would be a bit unfair. However, they don't really strike me as my cup of tea.

You can find reviews of several of his films (the "Dead Or Alive" and "Fudoh" films, "Gozu", "Visitor Q") here...

http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/index.shtml

We have this DVD sitting in our "Foreign" section at work, and I've been tempted to pick it up. I will probably do so now.

Been seeing links to this Tom Cruise wife audition report and upcoming Vanity Fair expose` all over Facebook today. Thought it would be better to resurrect this old thread to link to the story, rather than start a whole new thread on the subject.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Been seeing links to this Tom Cruise wife audition report and upcoming Vanity Fair expose` all over Facebook today. Thought it would be better to resurrect this old thread to link to the story, rather than start a whole new thread on the subject.

This makes me so very happy. And it makes me picture Katie Holmes dismembering Tom Cruise with a piano wire.

It took 20 years, but I finally got around to seeing this film. And...ouch. I'd heard that this was an uncomfortable film to watch, but I still found myself with mouth agape in horror for the final 20-30 minutes (I had managed to avoid plot details). Still, there's something interesting here, both as a formal exercise and in the ideas being explored here about love, gender, and trauma.

Looking up details, this premiered at VIFF in October 1999. Anyone here from BC around to see it back then?