Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
agentsoffuture

NEW WORSHIP? (no groaning)

30 posts in this topic

Matt: a church that might be of interest for you to look at is Church on the Journey. They do each week what it sounds like your wife does occasionally.

Nathan Partain and Rick Jensen have been writing stacks of rich, poetic, musically accomplished anthems for our church for years. Many of the lyrics they're using are actually the lyrics of old hymns or sacred poetry, simply because those lyrics have lasted for good reason... they exhibit the qualities of classic poetry rather than catchy, rhymey chorusses. Part of their goal is to get beyond "chorussy" church music and involve the congregation in singing pieces that are more complex, more crafted, than the simple singalongs that are the bread and butter of many Protestant church traditions. I've found their music to have a meditative quality that does not draw attention to what's going on with them, but to the lyrics, which stir my soul. And when they perform a new song, they do it during communion or the offertory, without any sort of "performance" for people to watch, just focusing on the music.

More here. Click on WORSHIP and then, at the top, on MUSIC.

Keep posting agentsoffuture.

Darrell - thanks for the link.

Matt

Lukas Kwong asks: Christian musicians should be striving for... what exactly? What will characterize the pioneers of tomorrow's sacred music? Should Bono and Sufjan Stevens be role models?

Speaking of 'new worship', is there anything happening in the realm of instrumental-music-as-worship? I keep hearing my friends say things like "Sigur Ros, now that's real worship music," but I don't know if people are trying this kind of thing out in church or church-ish settings. Any thoughts?

Urban Hymnal in Seattle is doing some pretty innovative worship stuff, from what I've heard.