Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Linking vs. Cut-and-Paste

Which do you prefer?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I must admit, my eyes tend to glaze over, or I tend to skim ahead, if somebody quotes a giant essay (whether their own or someone else's) that was written for a completely different context and thus does not engage with the conversation here. But that's only when I'm in a rush. (Which, admittedly, is somewhat often.) So it varies.

Alan, just speaking hypothetically, if the CT review I'm quoting in full happens to be one that I myself wrote, I assume there would be no copyright problem there, since I do retain some sort of right of re-printing -- I merely have to attribute CT whenever I re-print it, which of course I would be doing by linking to the original. Or for that matter, it could be a review written by somebody else (like, say, Jeff) who had given me permission to quote it here, right? Like I say, I'm just speaking hypothetically.

I find that even Peter generally cuts and pastes the most relevant para. or few sentences and then liks to the source for those interested in more. This seems the best of both worlds.

Many schools have guidelines as to what constitutes fair use of copyright material. perhaps our acedemics can share the policies they are suppose to follow for us to reference.

I voted for the cut and paste - but I agree with Peter that a long paste is daunting. I like it when a pertinent section is pasted and then a link is given to the entire - should someone want to read the whole - or the context for the partial.

Denny

Alan Thomas wrote:

: Peter, that depends entirely on your arrangement with CT. If you are essentially

: writing for them, I would think it would violate copyright. If, however, you are

: essentially granting them the right to print what you have independently written, then

: that is something else. Literally, the copyright on their website would imply the former

: even if the latter is technically true.

Well, yes -- to cite the most recent example, my review of Sky High was written by me after the editor told me that the original critic wouldn't be able to catch the press screening, so could I fill in for him, etc., etc. So this was definitely something I was writing "for" CT, as opposed to something I was writing independently. And yet, the "arrangement" between me and CT, as you put it, is indeed that the copyright belongs to me, subject to whatever terms they and I agreed upon. (Or, as they put it: "

I think the crucial issue is length. If I've written a full blown review, I just link to it - if anyone wants to read it they can and will, it's worth their time to click over, and I don't imagine people who aren't that fussed want it making the post longer, p articularly if they are tring to follow the thread of a discussion.

But blog posts can sometimes be shorter and particularly relevant, whereas reviews or articles are perhaps less contextually dependent.

As for copyright, again I would think size is the crucial issue. Just as anyone writing an essay can quote from someone, a few lines, or even a short paragraph is agreed as being acceptable, thus is the nature of work, particularly if the author is cited. But it's generally not the done thing to insert a huge paragraph.

So personally I'd think stuff over a couple of paragraphs is best left to links albeit with a taster para or something.

But there's no option for that. But then I guess the poll was to aide the discussion rather than dominate it.

Matt