Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Coffee Maker Died

We were always happy with Bunn coffee makers and ALWAYS got a great cup of coffee and quick.

When we lost our last Bunn due to, what we guess was, too much good coffee we decided to look around for something with a timer that matched our other appliances better. We decided on the Cuisinart 12 cup brew central. We got ours from Costco but Marshall Field's now has the model above ours for right around the same price (coffee anyone?)

It has been a great coffee maker, now if we could only afford a better ground.

We recently bought a new Mr. Coffee and, with only one complaint, we've been pleased with it. Three or four weeks after we purchased it, the thing began coughing and spitting, but it wouldn't percolate properly. We tried out the self-cleaning cycle, and it worked like a charm. We've had to self-clean one more time since.

I like three things about this particular coffee-maker. First, it stops percolating if you pull out the pot. (I'm a bit impatient when it comes to getting my morning fix.) Second, the spout is designed to avoid drips. And, third, it looks really cool. wink.gif

We bought ours at Target. I'm pretty sure it was $50 or $60.

Without a doubt, get one with a built-in grinder for the beans, such as this one by Cuisinart.

We have its predecessor now, and when it dies, we'll get the one linked above.

Ummm, did you notice my pricing specs, Alan? $225 ain't gonna happen.

The deed is done. I found a Hamilton Beach model, recommended as a best buy in the most recent Consumer Reports coffee-maker roundup, for $60 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I had a $5 off coupon (thought it was one of those 20% off coupons. Grrrr!!!), so I saved a little.

Don't let me decision stop you from recommending your own preferred brand. This could be a useful thread for others.

Edited by Christian

This is lame, I know, but I'll never buy a coffee-maker with a built-in grinder because I can't handle the noise. Plus, I've never been terribly impressed by the difference in flavor. I buy my coffee pre-ground, and it tastes pretty good to me.

I am with your youngest daughter, Christian. Not only would the grinder wake me up with some thing other than the sweet smell of coffee, it would scare the crap out of me.

I am also with you as a parent. When the kids are asleep, bless their little hearts and let them sleep a little longer.

I wouldn't get a built in grinder for two reasons. 1) It would be gimmicky and you would not be able to control the quality/durability of the grinder which would be the first thing to go. Nothing complex about a coffeemaker apparatus. 2) Once the grinder went (and it will), you would lose interest in the novelty of the thing and you would have on your hands, a machine whose salient feature is busted.

Best coffeemaker I've ever had was a Krups combo cappucino/coffeemaker (steamed milk valve for foam). It had great pressure for both espresso and the foam, but only had a 10 cup coffee beaker. Great coffee too. With a bit of price shopping, you should be able to pay within $15 either way of $100. I now have a separate Krups cappucino maker and Krups coffee maker (12 cup) with digital timer. Great machines that have lasted quite a while.

ANOTHER POINT ABOUT GRINDERS: I now have a Bosch grinder that has lasted more than 10 years. It cost $90 at the time but has made more than it's money back. It was my fourth resevoir grinder. The typical resevoir grinder was about $35 to $40 back then and lasted about a year and a half. Now, one can find off brand resevoir grinders for as low as $20 here and there at outlet malls, so maybe the longterm investment of the Bosch is not as good anymore (I should say that my best friend has an early Braun version of the Bosch design that he bought around 1982. Except for the fact that the nub that locks the receiver to the machine has worn off, it works just like the day it was bought. You only must hold the receiver in place).

Two words: French press.

I find that you have to use more grounds for this method, plus you heat the water seperately.

Ahh...but if you don't get the combo brinder/brewer, then you might as well forget about the auto-timer function.

This, I don't understand.

We recently bought a new Mr. Coffee and, with only one complaint, we've been pleased with it.  Three or four weeks after we purchased it, the thing began coughing and spitting, but it wouldn't percolate properly.  We tried out the self-cleaning cycle, and it worked like a charm.  We've had to self-clean one more time since.

I like three things about this particular coffee-maker.  First, it stops percolating if you pull out the pot.  (I'm a bit impatient when it comes to getting my morning fix.)  Second, the spout is designed to avoid drips. And, third, it looks really cool. wink.gif

We bought ours at Target.  I'm pretty sure it was $50 or $60.

My best friend got one of these and likes it. It indeed looks VERY cool.

Two words: French press.

Amen. We haven't owned a coffee maker for many years now. The press is simple, easy, and can be used to make things other than coffee which makes it a multitasking space saver. And, imho, it makes a superior cup o joe with deeper flavor. I especially enjoy the coffee solids (not grounds) that are not filtered out by this method.

As for heating water seperately...I can only say that manly men of stout heart and discerning (read snobby) buds do not mind that horrific inconvenience of placing water from the tap into the kettle and setting it to boil whilst we make our morning visit to the loo.

As for more grounds....this from the man willing to spend over $100 on a coffee maker. w00t.gif

As for more grounds....this from the man willing to spend over $100 on a coffee maker. w00t.gif

Ah, but consider the amortization of that $100 over the life of the coffeemaker, while you suffer a continuous inefficiency of beans necessary for a good cuppa. For me, that would be considerable as I consume close to a pot a day.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

I brewed my first cup of coffee using the new coffee maker this morning. It had a little bit of a soapy taste -- residue from my insufficient first rinsing of the carafe, no doubt.

I decided not to use the programmable timer function the first time out, because I wanted to watch the brewing process. It was fine, of course, although the carafe system has a few drawbacks. According to the instructions, I have to wait a couple of minutes after brewing is complete before I can remove the carafe. I guess the chance of coffee dripping onto the brewing-plate area could damage the coffee maker? Maybe I've been duped. I don't believe the brewer plate has any warming function -- the insulated carafe keeps the coffee warm -- so I'm not sure what harm a few drops of drip-coffee would do to the coffee maker. But I'm not taking any chances at this point.

Oh, and I had to wait an extra day to use the coffee maker because I discovered, upon unpacking the machine, that the filter basket it comes with still requires an additional filter! So I bought a permanent #4 filter, manufactured by Braun, which fits all coffee makers that use #4 filters, but which keeps the coffee maker lid from completely closing. Go figure.

I decided not to use the programmable timer function the first time out, because I wanted to watch the brewing process. It was fine, of course, although the carafe system has a few drawbacks. According to the instructions, I have to wait a couple of minutes after brewing is complete before I can remove the carafe. I guess the chance of coffee dripping onto the brewing-plate area could damage the coffee maker? Maybe I've been duped. I don't believe the brewer plate has any warming function -- the insulated carafe keeps the coffee warm -- so I'm not sure what harm a few drops of drip-coffee would do to the coffee maker. But I'm not taking any chances at this point.

If you watch a conventional drip process closely, you will notice that coffee will still pour through the filter system well after the gurgling indicates that brewing is done. There is nothing wrong with the machine. You just can't see the process through the caraffe and they are warning you that the process is not finished.

Oh, and I had to wait an extra day to use the coffee maker because I discovered, upon unpacking the machine, that the filter basket it comes with still requires an additional filter! So I bought a permanent #4 filter, manufactured by Braun, which fits all coffee makers that use #4 filters, but which keeps the coffee maker lid from completely closing. Go figure.

This is odd. Try taking the handle loop off of the filter. Is this one of those gold ones, or a nylon permanent filter?

Oh. What did you buy? Darren's machine?

Edited by Rich Kennedy

It's a Braun #4 filter that fits all machines that take a #4 filter. My new machine is a Hamilton Beach, but there were no HB-specific permanent filters available at the store.

Melitta no longer makes that particular model. My wife gives it six months. We'll see.

At that price, it is worth the risk. I'd have bought two just in case.

We recently bought a new Mr. Coffee and, with only one complaint, we've been pleased with it.  Three or four weeks after we purchased it, the thing began coughing and spitting, but it wouldn't percolate properly.  We tried out the self-cleaning cycle, and it worked like a charm.  We've had to self-clean one more time since.

I like three things about this particular coffee-maker.  First, it stops percolating if you pull out the pot.  (I'm a bit impatient when it comes to getting my morning fix.)  Second, the spout is designed to avoid drips. And, third, it looks really cool. wink.gif

We bought ours at Target.  I'm pretty sure it was $50 or $60.

Awesome. Ali bought me a new coffee maker for father's day, and little did I know that I, too, was the owner of a Mr. Coffee Model Hughes 2000.

I REALLY can't believe you guys. A coffee maker has JUST died and you not only spoke of entering into a relationship with a new one but have already done so. One's with better features or possibly a whole new kind of appliance altogether (French Press). Damn it people! Shouldn't you at least mourn your loss and give yourself time??? And what about the viewing and funeral? NO ONE spoke about that!!! Imagine if your coffee maker replaced you so soon? You wouldn't like it would you? You guys REALLY disgust me. You seem to be celebrating this! That is sooo sad.

It's not my fault! Honest. Decades and decades of planned obselescence have programmed me to be hardened to this. The spirit is willing but the caffein cravings are weak.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

You know Alan? That's the WORST thing you could do. No. Wait! The WORST thing you could do is throw it out while holding a cup of coffee in your hand brewed from your NEW coffee maker!! You didn't do that did you??

And you Rich. Well, I EXPECTED that from you. Of course, you're like that with EVERYTHING.

C'mon people!!!

Would you brew a dead person's ashes?? Yeah, "Ick" is right. No. Give it a proper funeral. Cremate it. Bury it. Whatever. But MOURN your loss (however long it takes. APPARENTLY some people get over these things faster than others). Get back to me on this, aiiight?

I with you bro. Got cho back. All the way. Straight up. Keep'n it real. Yo.

Gee, was I wrong to just toss my old one in the trash?

You know, it's amazing what can be sold at a garage sale. As you say, it can still brew something. Slap a $7 tag on it and say that there is something wrong with the grinder. Some gadget guy will rise to the challenge for the entry fee of $3 to $5. Really.