I'm trying to learn my way around this forum

Hello. I am so happy to find this forum today. I found it by doing a Google search on Robert Bresson!

I am overwhelmed at the number of topics and posts here. I hardly know where to begin...

Thanks to Netflix I have been able to see many of the films of Robert Bresson, Luis Bunuel, Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, Andrei Tarkovsky, Claude Chabrol, Krzysztof Kieslowski, as well as many wonderful American films.

Also I am grateful to a small forum I belong to at www.foreignfilms.com .

I guess what I would like to know is the best way to get around on this forum. I want to go in depth on some films - for example, I have just seen A Man Escaped and Au Hasard Balthasar and would love to learn more. But there are so many options.

Also, I would like to ask questions about books on films and questions about films by Eric Rohmer or Ozu or Ki-duk Kim. Where should I post these questions? You have many subdivisions on this forum and I want to post in the correct place.

Anyway, I am elated to find this forum. I just need a little time and perhaps some help navigating my way around here.

By the way, my name is Sara and I live in the state of Georgia in the USA.

Thanks for any help getting around here.

Sara

By the way, my name is Sara and I live in the state of Georgia in the USA.

Welcome Sara from Georgia!

You'll have to meet TexasSara soon.

The world needs more Saras! biggrin.gif

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Sara, you can post those questions or topics in this forum. That's just fine.

You'll find several fans here of all the filmmakers you mentioned. I'm a big Rohmer fan.

Welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for welcoming me! I notice that "TexasWill" has a quote at the bottom of his name from Flannery O'Connor. I would like to tell him that her home is about 30 miles from me and has been restored. Also, a dear friend of mine, Robert Drake (deceased) wrote a small book on Flannery and introtroduced me to her short stories - and my life has never been the same!

Sara

Welcome, Sara!

Flannery O'Connor, eh? I can't resist pointing out our latest A&F book club thread. smile.gif

Welcome Sara!

It is great to see your enthusiasm for the conversation here.

I love Kieslowski, Bergman and Rohmer - throw in Murnau, Truffant, Brakhage and Leconte - and I am just getting to know Bresson, which I am enjoying.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Hi Sara & welcome.

It generally doesn't take too long to work out where it all goes, and generally I believe most people use the "view new post" option at the top of the page to find out what's been added, rather than trawling through each forum individually looking for new posts, so anything you post will probably get picked up.

But a good rule of thumb is to just post it where you think best and not worry too much. There is a great team of admin-ers here, and so anything that might fit better in a different section will probably get moved. (For example I suspect that this post may end up in "About this Website" sooner or later).

The search engine is really useful, and playing with the "search entire post" or the "search titles only" option is useful is finding the main discussions on certain films. 5 pages of Bresson results is a little daunting, no?

Hope you enjoy it here. See you around.

Matt

Ditto: welcome!

I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.

Sara, if you say that you like Walker Percy, I will propose to you.

Go right ahead, Michael! I loved the Moviegoer and the Second Coming though it has been a long time since I read either.

But my favorite southern writer (well, Faulkner, of course) is Flannery O'Connor.

My favorite southern movie (and book) is "To Kill a Mockingbird." Amazing that this movie was Robert Duvall's first appearance.

Sara

Sara, you will fit in quite well in these parts. Welcome.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Thank you all for welcoming me! I notice that "TexasWill" has a quote at the bottom of his name from Flannery O'Connor. I would like to tell him that her home is about 30 miles from me and has been restored. Also, a dear friend of mine, Robert Drake (deceased) wrote a small book on Flannery and introtroduced me to her short stories - and my life has never been the same!

Sara

Welcome, Sara!

I am still fairly new here myself. It is always good to learn of a new Flannery fan.

I made a pilgrimage to Milledgeville back in early 1996. But they were not letting anyone near Andalusia at that time. We did visit her grave and her parish church.

Yours truly,

ABP

No one with a good car needs to be justified. -- Hazel Motes

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

Hot Rod Anglican blog ...

You might enjoy this site. Hope you do.

www.andalusiafarm.org

Sara

Thanks, Sara! I will check it out.

Yours truly,

ABP

No one with a good car needs to be justified. -- Hazel Motes

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

Hot Rod Anglican blog ...