Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Top100 Process

5 posts in this topic

Make Field of Dreams an automatic qualifier

wink.gif

Matt

It seems to me that next year there should be a waiting period between the close of the nominations and the start of the final voting.

Right now, we're having some excellent discussion of the merits of various films. The problem is that about 50% of the expected voters have already cast their votes. While our discussions still have value in themselves AND for the remaining 50%, a buffer period--perhaps a week--might be appropriate next year, especially if we have more time (i.e. get started earlier  blushing.gif )

Ah yes, but that's why some of us made our pleas when we did.

Matt

Mmm... I'm not sure if one continuous thread (for the nominations) lends itself to discussing individual films particularly. Perhaps each nominated film could have a linked discussion that people could participate in seperate to the nomination discussion itself - whilst the nominating process is happening?

It would solve the problem of not enough time to discuss the films - I, for one, feel that the nomination/voting has kind of crept up on me. Although this isn't such a massive problem, it would have been nice to get a bit of time to watch some of the nominated films I hadn't seen & I think the only thing that would have encouraged me to do this is a discussion regarding those films.

As for voting before discussions really got going - I'm afraid for me it's a matter of necessity. Off on holiday in 2 days, swamped with work, and I just wanted to be certain not to miss out. I tried to be as even as I possibly could with my voting, I tried putting aside like/dislike in favour of merit & value, although I'm not sure it's possible to do this in an indiscriminate way.

As for seconding nominations - the idealist in me would like to think that this would foster more discussion and encourage others to watch films they haven't seen. The realist, however, says that a lot of small indie low budget international movies that may otherwise, wouldn't even get past the nomination stage.

There are several new threeads about one film, with a subtitle of "Defend this for the Top 100". I think THAT's the discussion of which Alan speaks.