Sign in to follow this  
tctruffin

Halo: The Film

Yesterday, Universal and 20th Century Fox announced a film deal to bring the video game Halo to the big screen in 2007.

The IMDB listing shows Alex Garland, who wrote 28 Days Later, attached to write the script.

Bungie, the company who created Halo, has posted this story with some interesting bits about how things have progressed to this point.

Films based on video games have never fared all that well--can we say Double Dragon?--but the Halo game features a well-developed story that is rather cinematic on its own. I also happen to know one of the artists who worked on the Halo games, and his experience of the folks at Bungie tells me that they take their games and their stories very seriously. It will be interesting to see if that devotion to story survives Hollywood's meat grinder.

For the uninitiated, here's the Bungie pages for Halo and Halo 2.

(P.S. a.k.a. Full Disclosure: Yes, I'm a recovering video game nerd from the 80's [do the numbers 2600 mean anything to you?]. And, yes, I do own an XBox. But I currently only own about 5 or 6 titles and am woefully out of the loop on most VG matters. Mainly because I'm also a cheapskate, and I couldn't stand it when arcade games started costing more than a quarter to play.)

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones

Or how about this?

But in all seriousness, I do hope the Halo movie kicks all sorts of butt. I love the games. They are quite cinematic, and from what I've heard, Bungie has mapped out a major timeline/storyline that spans well beyond the games. (I wonder if this is what is used for the novels?)

The Bungie article you linked to was a great read, and got me rather excited about the possibilities.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I'm sorry if this is OT, but I'm shocked they've never made a Half-life movie. It has a lot of potential. I always pictured Ed Norton playing Gordon Freeman.

Or how about this?

Fantastic stuff, thanks for linking. Supposedly they're uploading a new episode imminently.

That's just how eye roll.

Word from Bungie is that Peter Jackson - yes, the Peter Jackson - is serving as executive producer. Click here...

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Word from Bungie is that Peter Jackson - yes, the Peter Jackson - is serving as executive producer.  Click here...

w00t.gif I'm so happy. Now if Jackson can only convince James Cameron to direct, I'll be in video game movie heaven.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

INteresting new twist on this: now Jackson is going to helm a series of X-Box games based on the original game:

King Kong director Peter Jackson has agreed a deal with Microsoft to create what he describes as a "new form of interactive entertainment".

The Oscar-winning film-maker said he would be creating a series based on the Halo video game franchise, created by Bungie Studios.

"I'm getting a little bored with films," he said.

Also this from The Guardian:

Jackson's announcement inevitably plays into the hands of those who have always regarded him as a populist hack. By and large, the gaming community is still dismissed as the pond-life of the cultural scene. Its inhabitants are stereotyped as a bunch of sniggering masturbators with a penchant for virtual sex and violence and a terror of the world beyond their console. In catering to their juvenile desires, Jackson is set to pander to the lowest common denominator and drag the great art of cinema to the level of Grand Theft Auto.

But is this really the case? After all, who is more passive: the video gamer with their hand on a joystick or the cinemagoer with their eyes on the screen?

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk

I don't know... I find that article to be a little on the alarmist side. I don't think Jackson, when he says he's bored with movies, is implying that "cinema is, by its nature, a passive, spoon-feeding medium". I think he's just excited at some of the different possibilities that interactive video games offer, possibilities that movies don't necessarily have. And it doesn't surpise me that Jackson, who is obviously very enamored with the technical side of filmmaking, would be drawn to video games and their technology.

And besides, it's not like Jackson is the first filmmaker to move into video games.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The Halo movie is "entirely dead. In the configuration it was in." Which is a shame, because I really liked the look of the shorts that Blomkamp had put together as short promos for the game. If the movie would've been something along those lines... ah well.

I have an interest in degraded, screwed-up looking footage as opposed to beautiful, well set up picturesque imagery. So, and I think, once you resign yourself to being OK with lo-fi, degraded images, then you can start to pull imagery from a lot of different places. Like that overhead infra-red photography, that idea just came from looking at military footage that you see where they're dealing with quite chunky, compressed 640x480 video that's coming off the battlefield, and unmanned aerial vehicles that photograph that stuff in infra-red. I just wanted to mimic that. But you have to be OK with saying I'm not going to go out there and make something that looks like a Darius Khondji, kind of lit, beautiful piece. You have to be OK with saying "Yeah, it's going to look like shit, but it's going to feel a little bit more real."

You can see the 3 shorts he references here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVSv_EHboy0, and here.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Halo 4 comes out later this year, and as part of the storyline, a Halo webseries titled Forward Unto Dawn is being produced. Here's the first trailer (I will admit to having a geek moment when the Warthog made an appearance):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3Y8Ws3plI

Synopsis:

"Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn" is a live-action digital series that takes fans back to the terrifying beginning of the Human/Covenant war, when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC's greatest vessel: the UNSC Infinity.

Sidenote: the series stars Anna Popplewell, who played Susan in The Chronicles of Narnia films.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The first episode of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn has been released. Looks good. In all, five 15-minute episodes will be released prior to Halo 4's release in November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJVgXBfSH8

Opus, Twitter, Facebook