Sign in to follow this  
Sara

Writing on a topic and getting an "ahem"

Yesterday I watched "The Son" and felt the need to post to the forum - maybe to get some insight, and maybe just to express myself.

But someone, a friend, posted "ahem" which linked to an old thread on "The Son" that I was not aware of. blushing.gif

So what should one do before one posts a "new topic?" Should one do a search on the film and see if there is already a thread - even if it is old - and pull that up and post at the end of that? unsure.gif

I want to follow the right procedure.

I am enjoying this forum and am glad I found it.

Sara

Hi Sara. I ahemed you (and ahemed myself this morning.) blushing.gif

The reason for ahems is to try to keep down duplicate topics. So it is a good idea to search before starting a topic, and resurrecting old topics is a good thing. that way we don't have to keep saying, "Look at what I wrote here." It may also be the case that in looking at an old topic, you may find whatever issue you address is already been fought over.

peace

Hi Sara.  I ahemed you (and ahemed myself this morning.)  blushing.gif

The reason for ahems is to try to keep down duplicate topics.  So it is a good idea to search before starting a topic, and resurrecting old topics is a good thing.  that way we don't have to keep saying, "Look at what I wrote here."  It may also be the case that in looking at an old topic, you may find whatever issue you address is already been fought over.

peace

I understand, Darrel and thanks for your response. So then just a minute ago I went to "search" and typed in The Son and the answer came back that my search had been in vain.

Maybe I don't have the hang of the search function here. Is there a help file on it?

Sara

Hi Sara. One thing about the "search" button is that I don't think it wants to search words containing four letters or less. I'd try running a Google search of A&F. Scroll toward the top of the page and look on the right side for the Google search.

Hi Sara. One thing about the "search" button is that I don't think it wants to search words containing four letters or less. I'd try running a Google search of A&F. Scroll toward the top of the page and look on the right side for the Google search.

Thanks, Diane. I found the Google search for A&F on the right hand side, but when I typed in The Son OVER 10 pages came up. I would have a hard time deciding which thread to put my post in!

Maybe I'll get the hang of it soon. Or maybe next time I post it will be about a movie with more than 4 letters so I can search the threads easily!

Thanks for helping.

Sara

Thanks, Diane. I found the Google search for A&F on the right hand side, but when I typed in The Son OVER 10 pages came up. I would have a hard time deciding which thread to put my post in!

In that case Sara, I would probably search on a word less common than Son, yet still likely to turn up in a thread about the film. For instance, in this case I might search the google for "Fils" or either search function for the directors names, the Dardennes. That might yield better results with less pages.

Edited by John

In that case Sara, I would probably search on a word less common than Son, yet still likely to turn up in a thread about the film. For instance, in this case I might search the google for "Fils" or either search function for the directors names, the Dardennes. That might yield better results with less pages.

Edited by Sara

4 letters work, but not if you include them in a series of words in "quotes". I'm not sure why, but then I'm a theologian not a techie. However, the more common the word the less useful it is to search for. film would by utterly useless. Sometimes the director's name works better than a title, although some of those have a number of threads too. It takes a little practice. And they we still screw up (like I did this morning.)

Maybe I'm just confused and the search engine doesn't want to pick up three letters. Anyway, it won't pull up anything for "The Son," but it pulls up many different threads if I put in "Fils." Hmm.

Edit: Oh, I see Darrel's posted on this.

Edited by Diane

I wouldn't stress too much about it Sara. We (and by "we" I mean "I") would certainly rather get a duplicate thread than have you censor yourself because you can't find an old thread. My modus operondi is to do a search for the title, and if I'm shocked not to get any results, I'll do another search by director or actor. If it's a film that I'm not surprised hasn't had its own thread I might not even do the second search.

And don't take the "ahem" personally. It's kinda an inside joke. I'm sure that most of us mean it to be much more polite and sensitive than it sounds smile.gif

And don't take the "ahem" personally. It's kinda an inside joke. I'm sure that most of us mean it to be much more polite and sensitive than it sounds smile.gif

I didnt' even know about that Google search feature. I just assumed that it was a link to the Google search engine, not that it could specifically look up stuff here at A&F. Thanks Diane! I'l be sure to try that the next time I do a search! Sweeeet!

It's especially fun to get "Ahem"-ed by Peter. You might think of it as a rite of passage.

Edited by Jeff Kolb

Some "a hems" should be qualified, at least for the newer participants, because they do come off as smug and/or mean.

Everyone that joins is not familiar with the way things are, and have been, done around here for a long while, so why not make their early participation pleasant and inviting, instead of inciting contempt?

Ash, you son of ahem.

-s.

See, now that is what I mean. Stef's got the right idea.

amen to your ahem!

"ahemalam alikom" to all of our arab and muslim friends out there!

"ahemalam alikom" to all of our arab and muslim friends out there!

and an "alikom ahemalam" to you as well.

It's especially fun to get "Ahem"-ed by Peter. You might think of it as a rite of passage.

Peter has

Yeah. You've heard that every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings? Well, every time Peter ahems, an angel gets a wedgie.

Yeah. You've heard that every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings? Well, every time Peter ahems, an angel gets a wedgie.

Who is Peter??? I did not get a-hemed by him. You make me wish I had.

Sara badgoalie.gif

Who is Peter??? I did not get a-hemed by him. You make me wish I had.

Sara badgoalie.gif

You got something against angels?

Sara is to Chavez as Peter is to *ding* Pat Robertson *ding*!

So Peter is asking all of us to kill Sara??!!

bomb.gif:-->blowingup.gifnep.gif