Hail, Caesar! (2016)

George Clooney will join the Coen Brothers yet again for Hail, Caesar!

This plot sounds more like a Christopher Guest project than a Coen Brothers film...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 years later...

Anne Thompson speaks to the Coens:

What about your comedy project with George Clooney, "Hail Caesar?" I always liked the sound of that. 

Joel: We've been working on that one. 

Ethan: It's about the movie business and life and religion and faith. Faith and the movie business. It's still George.

Joel: There's a good chance that would be next.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The AICN report says the movie would have something to do with actors putting on a Greek tragedy, but the very title of the film suggests something Roman, rather than Greek (and besides, Roman epics have always been far more popular than Greek tragedies in Hollywood).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 5 months later...

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Have to admit, I liked the first posts description of this film more than this new take. 

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Patrick Fischler, David Krumholtz, Fisher Stevens and Clancy Brown have been added to the cast.

FYI, Clooney's character is named Eddie Mannix.  If based on the actual person, Eddie Mannix was previous played by Bob Hoskins in Hollywoodland.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The Coen bros have been critiquing Hollywood implicitly starting with Blood Simple, but this has to be the most explicit one since Barton Fink. And it looks like they're having a ball. 

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

I think it easily looks passable, and more likely looks like it will be party. The only thing that remains to be scene is whether that party will be a la Burn After Reading or O Brother Where Art Thou.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

I think it easily looks passable, and more likely looks like it will be party. The only thing that remains to be scene is whether that party will be a la Burn After Reading or O Brother Where Art Thou.

Either way, it's win-win! 

Looking at the trailer again, the Coens seem to be delivering a satire not only of biblical epics, but MGM-style musicals (with Channing Tatum as a singing sailor and Scarlet Johansson as an Esther Williams type), WWII movies, and of course, film noir/crime flicks which inform the kidnapping plot.

The real teaser, though, is the identity of "The Future," the mysterious kidnapping group. Given that the Coens are avid film history geeks, and knowing that the movie is set in the '50s, I'd guess that the kidnappers are symbolically tied to the decline of the American studio system in some way. Maybe they are independent talent agents liberating studio contract players from their 7-year contracts. If that's the case, then the film could become a bittersweet ode to the passing of the despotic yet beloved dream factory (the "Caesar" of the title).

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

On further reflection, that theory might be too nerdy. Probably has something to do with the Red Scare or the rise of TV or something.

Twitter     Letterboxd