Link tp the VIFF 2002 thread.

Link to the VIFF 2003 thread.

Link to the VIFF 2004 thread.

VIFF 2005 is now under way, sort of, almost. They had their press conference this morning, and the press screenings begin tomorrow. The festival itself will begin in three weeks. The preliminary list of films I'm looking forward to is here.

Hopefully I'll see at least a few of this board's members there...?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Anyone here know anything about the Brazilian film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442751/' target='_blank'>Cafund

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, syncretism is usually refered to co-mingling of two faiths: i.e. believing that Christ died for you sins but still buying charms to protect your children and is a huge problem in the church in Nigeria (and also Latin America, as I understand it). However, could "genesis of religious and cultural syncretism in Brazil," refer to a co-mingling of religion and culture? that would be a good thing in my book.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

Yeah, exactly, the word could mean something good or it could mean something bad, depending on what it's actually referring to.

Thanks, Peter, for flagging that batch of films with "Christian content"...

Arvo P

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

The word "syncretism" kinda rings alarm bells, but maybe it shouldn't?

Given the blurb on the website, I reckon it should. "A freed slave, he worked as mule herder, soldier, cook, farmer and drunk before becoming famous as a black healer and spiritualist who combined Catholicism and African beliefs. Seen as a Brazilian saint and even known as the "Black Pope," he was arrested 17 times before his death at 84 in 1942. The film primarily focuses on his early struggles, culminating in a vision that leads him to build his "black and mysterious Church of the Red Water." The charismatic performance by L

Edited by Ron

Now that I've scanned the write-ups for your "Christian content" flicks, I'm wondering if you know something about a few of these that I'm not seeing.

I'm guessing you list BARDO because the blurb mentions Dante? "Amazing imagery in Lin Tay-Jou

FWIW, I haven't read any of the longer write-ups on the website just yet -- I am going by the three- or four-sentence paragraphs that were provided in the preliminary program last Wednesday and in the media-screening announcements, which so far only go to the end of this week. Since I haven't actually seen any of these films, my use of the phrase "Christian content" is, at this point, pretty all-encompassing.

And FWIW, I have Protocols of Zion listed under "Jewish content".

Incidentally, Ron, all three of the "Canadian content" movies I mention at my blog appear to have "Christian content" too, at least in the broad sense in which I am using the term.

Ron wrote:

: The more I read about DOG NAIL CLIPPER, the more I wonder if there's a Christian

: sensibility behind it. A quote from the director (and I think writer?), Markku

: Polonen, caught my eye; "In these days when the spiritual atmosphere of the world

: is becoming crueller and crueller - becoming more "medieval" - it is important to

: remind people that good still exists. It is just so quiet that it doesn't produce

: material for tabloids as easily as the works of evil." And I note a couple titles in his

: filmography; GIFT FROM HEAVEN and ON THE ROAD TO EMMAUS. Hmmm...

FWIW, a friend of mine who just moved here from Finland (to study at SFU) says:

I'm very interested in catching as many (good) films the festival has to offer. Furthermore, I haven't seen Dog nail clipper (Koirankynnen leikkaaja), and it sounds good. I'd like to see it. ... Yes, a Finnish web review I just read mentions the main character as a 'fool of God', who finds it hard to fit in the world.

The director is one of those (rather few) finnish directors who've become famous back home, bringing forth something of a 'new boom of domestic film' there. Others include Aku Louhimies, producer Markus Selin (mass appeal stuff); Hmm, there's more and better, can't remember em now.

Sounds like one to see, then!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone here know anything about the Brazilian film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442751/' target='_blank'>Cafund

Ron wrote:

: . . . as do EVE & THE FIRE HORSE and 3 NEEDLES.

Yup, those would be among the Canadian films that I said had some sort of Christian content. And one of them is specifically Vancouverite, if memory serves!

Wow. That's quite a line-up. From what I've seen I can highly recommend:

- Cache

- The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

- L'Enfant

- Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

- The Intruder

- Three Times

All except for The Intruder (which was my favorite film of last year) will definitely end up on my best of 2005. Most are fairly obvious choices (Haneke, Dardennes, Denis, and Hou), but don't miss Lazarescu and Instructions. They're amazing, amazing films.

Wow. That's quite a line-up.  From what I've seen I can highly recommend:

- Cache

- The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

- L'Enfant

- Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

- The Intruder

- Three Times

All except for The Intruder (which was my favorite film of last year) will definitely end up on my best of 2005.  Most are fairly obvious choices (Haneke, Dardennes, Denis, and Hou), but don't miss Lazarescu and Instructions.  They're amazing, amazing films.

Well thank you, Mr H! I'll add those to my list - especially THE INTRUDER.

Okay, having given the old programme a thorough going over, here's what I come up with (not including Darren's recent recommendations);

VANCOUVER INTERNATION FILM FESTIVAL

Sep 29

FWIW, I got my media pass today, and the program too, and after several hours of reading, making notes, and juggling time slots -- not to mention trying to anticipate how much time I'll need off to get some actual work done -- I'm STILL figuring out my schedule. Put I'll post it to my blog once it's ready.

FWIW, I got my media pass today, and the program too, and after several hours of reading, making notes, and juggling time slots -- not to mention trying to anticipate how much time I'll need off to get some actual work done -- I'm STILL figuring out my schedule.  Put I'll post it to my blog once it's ready.

Do you have access to any press screenings? Are there any press screenings?

Ron, if, while scheduling, you discover that Hell (L'Enfer) competes with another film you'd like to see, you should seriously consider going with option B. My first impressions from TIFF:

"During his Q&A, Tanovic spoke often about how this film is his homage to Kieslowski. K's spirit is alive and well in the content of the film -- it poses another of those classic moral conundrums without offering anything like an answer -- but I felt little of Kieslowski in the style. I'm ambivalent about this one, so I'll hold my comments for a bit."

With time, I've come to think even less of the film, and I've read several other reviews that also didn't care for it.

re: The Intruder. You might want to take a look at this thread. It's a tricky film, and, to be honest, I was really frustrated by it during my first viewing. In this case, I think it would help to learn a bit about the film beforehand and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Ron wrote:

: Do you have access to any press screenings? Are there any press screenings?

Yes, for the first two weeks they were at the Pacific Cinematheque, but starting this week they are at the new Vancouver International Film Centre; it was at these screenings that I saw Cafundo and Yasmin (my favorite so far) and a few others. (Occasionally a festival film that already has a distributor will screen somewhere else entirely, and the VIFF will refrain from holding any other screenings at the same time; hence yesterday's screening of Water at the Fifth Avenue.)

But I've been so busy with various assignments and whatnot that I haven't had time to check out more than half-a-dozen or so. Which, uh, makes writing that preview article that's due in a couple days a little difficult.

FWIW, a lot of the films, though not all of them, are also available as screeners.

Oh, and thanks for the tips, Darren! Even if they make my schedule a little more crowded than it already is. smile.gif

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

FWIW, we already have threads on 3 Needles, Manderlay and Dear Wendy.

LA NEUVAINE (THE NOVENA)

Sat Oct 1, 6:40pm (Granville)

Mon Oct 3, 12pm (Vancity)

Winner of the Ecumenical Jury prize at the Locarno Film Festival for presenting simple faith with respect and acknowledging the difficulty of belief in the face of tragedy. Dr Jeanne Dion considers suicide. On the St Lawrence river, near the basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre, she meets an enigmatic young grocery clerk named Francois. He is on a nine-day pilgrimage, or novena, offering prayers for his dying grandmother's life. The doctor must confront her agnosticism as Francois reveals his deep belief and hope."

I can't believe I still haven't finalized and posted my VIFF moviegoing schedule. Argh. In the meantime, Ron, I just thought you should know I watched a screener of this one today and rather liked it, and I suspect you might too. If this were a Hollywood film and not some obscure foreign-language Quebecois indie, Grace Hill Media would be all over it.

It's still very much an on-the-fly work-in-progress, but FWIW, here is my VIFF 2005 schedule, which I will be revising and updating repeatedly over the next two weeks.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway