Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MattPage

How will you fare in the new list?

Will you have seen more films in the new top 100 than the old one?   23 members have voted

1. 1. Will you have seen more films in the new top 100 than the old one?

• Yes, I reckon I'll have seen more
    • No, I reckon all my hard work catching up will be undone
    • I'll be about the same

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 posts in this topic

I'd seen 36 of last years list.

This year: 22.

(off-topic: Jason, I hope you preserve these quotes from your kids so that you may exploit them for later personal humor value, if not subsequent economic value.)

I'm really hoping that the new top 100 doesn't give me an even worse percentage of films that I've seen in it.
Really, Matt? I can honestly say that it's the lists with the most films I haven't seen that are the most interesting to me. How sad would it be if I'd already seen the most spiritually significant films? I might as well pack up and find another subject of interest.

I think this is in part a personality thing. I totally understand your point, but I don't work like that. I'm a completer-finisher, so if I was in the nineties I'd get those last 10 wiped off really quickly. When I was in the upper fifties, improving myself was a creditable goal, and so that motivated me as well. But having watched many of the more accessible titles, I now find myself down to 46, with few accessible titles being added, and if each of the other more obscure 54 take as many viewings to appreciate as Au Hasard Balthazar, or Stalker then it just seems like a lost cause. Few of the films I have yet to see are easily available for hire, so I'd have to join a UK equivalent of Netflix or something, and even then, many many titles are only available in the US, which means I'd have to buy them, and I just don't have enough spare cash.

So whilst I totally take your point, the new list just inclines me to give up trying to watch more filjms on it, and just spend my time catching up on films which are easier to get hold of (which includes international and art house fare, but might not be as "spiritual"). Actually I'll probably try and get my half century, and then give up.

Mark position (having seen 100, and now slipped back to 80) is possibly the ideal for me. Having completed last years target I can now get on with completing this years new, and very acheivable target.

For the record, I've only seen 87 of them, which is about the same as last year.

I haven't seen:

Well, my percentage has fallen from about 40 to 30 in the new list. And I've added ten of those to my list within the last year. You all don't make it easy to catch up, but at least it's fun trying. smile.gif

I only needed to see 1.5 of the films off of the last one by last year. At one point I thought it was .5, but I was incorrect.

In this list I need to see 12 or 13. So that makes for a significant drop, which is fine with me.

Edited by MLeary

I hope I'll go up, but I reckon IU'll probably go down again.

:(

Matt

I reckon I'll be about the same. I'm only saying this because I've never made an attempt to keep up with the list. I have no idea how many I'd seen from it last time (but it wasn't many) and equally, I'll have no idea how many I've seen from it this time round because I won't be counting.

I think my approach to this board is slightly contrary - I don't go anywhere near threads of films that I haven't seen and so my movie going/DVD renting habits remain largely uninfluenced by what happens here. Not to be taken personally. I refuse to read/listen to/watch ANY reviews until after I've seen the film. And anyway, it's the debate that comes afterwards that's of interest to me.