Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Outsiders (1983; dir. Coppola)

Or should that be The Outsiders Redux? smile.gif

The new two-disc set expands the movie by 22 minutes, and has yet ANOTHER 10 minutes of still-deleted scenes. It does not include the original version of the film, which is now out of print.

Link to Associated Press story on Francis Ford Coppola.

Link to Associated Press story on the cast (where are they now? well, we know about Tom Cruise and Rob Lowe and Diane Lane, but what about Patrick Swayze and C. Thomas Howell and Emilio Estevez...?).

I have never seen this film, but I remember reading about it when I was in junior high. Is it worth seeing? And which version should I watch first? (Now I know what all those people who have never seen either version of Apocalypse Now have to go through...)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I saw it as a tike in school, and didn't dislike it. Given how long ago that was, I guess that doesn't help at all.

Given how little I liked the Redux changes of a certain other Coppolla film, I'm not sure this will be to my liking. But I expect I'll rent it.

What you want to watch is RUMBLE FISH, Coppola's "art movie for teenagers." Probably heavy-handed compared to "art movies for grown ups," but I was sure taken with it when I saw it - and heck, I wasn't even a teenager!

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

I'm still trying to figure out what that heck this means, from Anne Thompson:

Inside Move: Coppola tackles 'Youth'

Film is director's first since 1997

The new United Artists led by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner is in talks to acquire "Youth Without Youth," Francis Ford Coppola's first film since 1997's "Rainmaker." Move would reunite Coppola with Cruise, whom he cast as an unknown in his 1983 pic "The Outsiders." UA had no comment. ...

[The film] stars Tim Roth as a 70-year-old who is struck by lightning and suddenly gets younger and more brilliant. His quest: to understand the origin of language and consciousness. By movie's end, he and the love of his life (Alexandra Maria Lara) are literally speaking in tongues. (Ed.: Huh ???!??) Bruno Ganz also stars, and Matt Damon makes a cameo appearance.

"Youth Without Youth" is both "intellectually challenging and emotionally remote," said one acquisitions exec at a studio subsid. Another distrib likened the film to an arty "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

--Does anyone know anything about the source novel on which the film is based -- "the 1976 novel by Romanian-born religious historian Mircea Eliade"? I find myself very interested in this project.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Sounds to me like this film deserves a thread of its own. Speaking of which ...

Ahem.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

:close_tema:

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Moved from the "What I'm Watching This Weekend" thread, in which I responded to Thom's plans to watch The Outsiders:

We are going through movies based on books our boys are reading/have read. This weekend is The Outsiders.

Boys are still assigned The Outsiders? The movie came out right as I read the book in junior high, and I have vague memories of it beyond its cast, which, of course, went on the big things in many cases. But the film from junior-high that stands out was the adaptation of Tex, which I watched and then wrote a paper about that received a bad grade. It was the first time I had flubbed an assignment, and I wasn't sure what I'd done wrong or how/why I could've missed so much. I can't recall the details, only the impact of seeing the grade on my paper. That was 7th grade -- a year before The Outsiders, if memory serves.

Moved from the "What I'm Watching This Weekend" thread, in which I responded to Thom's plans to watch The Outsiders:

We are going through movies based on books our boys are reading/have read. This weekend is The Outsiders.

Boys are still assigned The Outsiders? The movie came out right as I read the book in junior high, and I have vague memories of it beyond its cast, which, of course, went on the big things in many cases. But the film from junior-high that stands out was the adaptation of Tex, which I watched and then wrote a paper about that received a bad grade. It was the first time I had flubbed an assignment, and I wasn't sure what I'd done wrong or how/why I could've missed so much. I can't recall the details, only the impact of seeing the grade on my paper. That was 7th grade -- a year before The Outsiders, if memory serves.

Christian, this wasn't a school assignment. My wife suggested my oldest son (11) read it. He loved it! If there is a movie based on a book he has read we like to watch it and discuss the differences, our individual involvement and how we pictured things. It's a fun exercise.

As for school reading assignments...those are horrible! We have even had to refuse to let him read one because of the poor story and questionable content. Questionable content mixed with poor story telling is a dangerous mix for a preteen, in my opinion.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

That's admirable, Thom. Any plans to read/watch other Hinton books/adaptations?

Tex may be on the list but the other Hinton Y.A. novels start pushing the boundaries for our 11 year old. We'll see.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

We just finished watching The Outsiders and my boys were disappointed. I was too, to be honest. It wasn't as good or as powerful as I remember it. However, if I think of it as an art film then there are some saving graces. Then again, it feels a little like a remake of Rebel Without A Cause for most of the movie.