Rachmaninoff Vespers

Oh boy, Alan! You've done it now. I'm a huge fan of choral music and the Vespers are one of my favourites out of the late romantics.

First, which recording are you listening to? While a number of them are good(most people hear Shaw's recording), I think that the St.Petersburg Chamber Choir creates a sound that no American choir can match. You can find it on BN or Amazon. It's titled 'Evening Star'.

I prefer the earlier numbers as opposed to those that come later on the disc, but this might just be my lack of patience showing. I especially like #5, I think, with the bases ending on the low b-flat. Ridiculous! The tenor soloist...incredible...his voice is like butter.

I've sung a few of them with different choirs, including the Bogoroditse Devo (#6) and Khvalite imya Gospodne (#8 ) at a number of different locations in Russia! Definately one of the most powerful and moving experiences of my life.

What group did you hear perform them?

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry