Followers 0
Overstreet

So... I need a new laptop computer.

92 posts in this topic

Or you could do this.

Looks like Mac users are going to have a lot of options. ::w00t::

Edited by TexasWill

Looks like Mac users are going to have a lot of options. ::w00t::

No doubt. It's going to be very interesting if the next version of OS X (aka "Leopard") contains virtualization capabilities as rumors claim.

Jumping into the laptop fray... With the prospect of me beginning to do audio and video editing at work, my employer gave the final approval for me this afternoon to get a fully loaded MacBook pro.( ::w00t:: ) While this should be a cause for celebration, I'm actually hesistant to accept the offer due to some very political, interoffice shenanigans. A real quandry for me, 'cause i can almost smell the danged thing! But the majority of my coworkers- who granted, are not working in tech or creative/design related fields-- are still laboring with outdated PC's, many who've been complaining for years about their slow-as-mollasses systems. I've been with the organization for nearly a year, and in that time have received some benefits (major hardware upgrades, software and slightly less regimented work schedule than my comrades) that have sparked major jealousy and strife from some veteran coworkers. Sheesh. Nothin's ever easy.

If it's a career issue, I'd definitely encourage anyone to get by with as few status symbols as possible.

I agree. But the Macintosh with OS X is the best platform for audiovisual work on the market... and having the ability to easily run other operating systems that might be necessary to interact with other users with outdated systems just makes good sense.

The issue is not that someone is making a wise move and buying the right tool for the job. The real issue is that the other employees are not getting the tools they need to do their job well.

My concern is the issue of perceived favoritism. Walking in with a brand new MacBook Pro could open a pandoras box of strife amongst the peeps still using PC's with PII processors.

OTOH, these other folks are doing strictly accounting and data entry on their systems. My supervisor, our CEO and CFO have all encouraged me in this and given their full approval. It still doesnt change the fact that I feel a little awkward about it. The fact is, it has bothered me to the degree that I have had a professional grantwriter investigate some funding sources for equipment for the nonprofit work I do outside the office, just so I can get the danged thing myself and avoid the politics.

Well, Pandora's box is officially open... The dual core 2.16 ghz, 17" MacBook Pro has been sitting on my desk as of this morning, beckoning me to come and play. ::w00t::

Well, Pandora's box is officially open... The dual core 2.16 ghz, 17" MacBook Pro has been sitting on my desk as of this morning, beckoning me to come and play. ::w00t::

Niiiiiiiiiice... I'm absolutely loving my dual core 20" iMac. I think you'll have many fun computing days ahead of you.

Niiiiiiiiiice... I'm absolutely loving my dual core 20" iMac. I think you'll have many fun computing days ahead of you.

Can you believe, after less than a week the laptop is DOA??? 8O

I was so busy last week, i really didnt get to play around until Friday afternoon. Then, after about an hour of using Motion, the unit rebooted unexpectedly. I've used PC laptops since the mid 90's, so i know all of them can run hot but the MacBook was on fire. Then over the weekend I was doing some editing and the thing rebooted three times!!! Called Apple this morning and they have officially tagged the unit as DOA and are issuing call tags for a return. They will be swapping it out with a replacement, which probably will leave me computer-less for about five days.... Sigh. Always problems. Maybe all of the negative energy around here has affected the hardware.

Not looking forward to re-installing Final Cut Studio, which took about 2.5 hrs to install!!! Yikes... On the positive side, the 17" MacBook Pro with my 20" monitor is amazing- I'm definitely in love.

I guess some serious thermal issues with the new MBP's are starting to appear... THIS may explain the issue with mine.

My replacement MacBook Pro arrived today. Interesting that while I was installing Final Cut Studio just now--on the NEW SYSTEM, mind you-- the OS seized up like it was in the death throes! I'm on my second go- around now and holding my breath.

My replacement MacBook Pro arrived today. Interesting that while I was installing Final Cut Studio just now--on the NEW SYSTEM, mind you-- the OS seized up like it was in the death throes! I'm on my second go- around now and holding my breath.

Yikes...

I'm always a little paranoid whenever I get a new system. I usually reformat the drive as soon as I take it out of the box and reinstall everything, so I can rebuild it from scratch. That way, I know exactly what's going on there, and I can keep off anything I know I won't need.

On a sidenote, I'm wondering if we should just create a catch-all computer thread, as this thread has moved well beyond Jeffrey's initial question and into more general geekiness. Thoughts?

Edited by opus

I guess some serious thermal issues with the new MBP's are starting to appear... THIS may explain the issue with mine.

This might also come into play...

So there IS a premium...

If you're planning to simply run Windows on a Mac box, then yes...

If you're planning to run OS X and the suite of iLife software that comes with it, then the "premium" is a bargain. Plus you get the best customer support in the industry (Consumer Reports has been reporting that for the past few years) and some of the nicest industrial design.

Just last Sunday afternoon, I was showing a Windows-obsessed friend a few quick tricks with GarageBand (which comes "free" with a new Macintosh), and he was very impressed with the sophistication of the software. He wanted to know how much it cost, I told him it comes free with a Macintosh, and he was stunned. (He had just spent his tax refund buying a new Windows machine because it was a little "cheaper" than a comperable Macintosh.)

• Brighter 15.4 inch WSXGA+ (1680 X 1050) Wide Screen and Digital Thermal Sensor
  • Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T9300 ("Penryn") 2.5GHZ 6MB Cache
  • 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 1 X 2048MB
  • 250GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
  • 8X Multi format +/- DVDRW/CDRW
  • 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • 1000Mbps Ethernet
  • Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN & Internal Bluetooth
  • Nvidia GeForce GO 8600M GT Graphics with 512MB Video Memory
  • Micro Express Standard 2-years Warranty on all parts and labor
  • Intel Robson 1GB TurboMemory Module
  • Fingerprint reader

Sounds good. I'm interested in your experience since a number of my Windows-loving friends are looking for alternatives to the Dells, Toshibas, and HPs of the world... and they (for whatever reason) decided not to "go Mac".

What flavor of Vista are you getting? Ultimate?

Woo hoo! It just arrived. I am dutifully neglecting my wife and family while I play with my new toy tool.

Nice.

I'm interested in hearing about the noise levels idle and under load (does it have the "Windows whine and clicks"?) as well as the battery life.

These things tend to change so quickly, I figure I should check in again.

It's been three years almost to the day since I started this thread, and it's time to toss the Toshiba.

It's been great. The screen is still beautiful, it's been dependable (except for the cheap-o power cords supplied by Best Buy, which keep breaking). A great unit for DVDs and music (the Harmon Kardon speakers are amazing, as laptop speakers go).

But the battery... I've been through two of them. The second is holding a charge for, oh... 30 minutes now.

This has proven to be the biggest problem. I travel a lot, and I plan on getting a lot of work done. I need something that will last longer.

Best Buy's performance plan served me well, and I have the option, if I want it, of adding an several more years, but I don't want to keep taking it in to the shop, and I've used up my quota of battery replacements.

So...

I'm thinking about options.

I'm so, so tempted to switch to Mac now.

Basically, I use my laptop for writing and Internet, but increasingly, as I'm traveling a LOT, I'm using it for film-review stuff as well (that is, watching movies). It's that latter part that makes me hesitant...

PROS

- The Mac book is within my price range, finally

- the battery is said to last 6 hours (wow, that would save me from so much grief)

- it's lighter than my current laptop, which is good considering that I carry it back and forth to work in a backpack, and I often take it out hiking at the beach

- same 3-years performance coverage at Best Buy, which is just down the street and very convenient if anything goes wrong.

CONS

- The screen is much than my Toshiba, and it just doesn't look as impressive for video (or am I imagining that?)

- the speakers are not awesome, a big step backward from the Toshiba

- I'd have to give up Google Chrome until they come up with a Mac-friendly version. And I like Google Chrome.

I really can't afford to go over $1500. If anybody would like to recommend another option, now's the time, and I'd appreciate it!

If there's a MacBook Pro that will give me a lasting battery, and cost me less than $2000, I'd be interested. I'd be willing to carry something heavier if it meant I got a big beautiful screen. But I hear that the bigger screen means a much shorter battery life...

Argh. Why am I always faced with options that have plenty of CONS to go with attractive PROS?

Well, the cheapest MacBook Pro is $1,999.99. Which comes with a "glossy" screen intended to make video and images look better and richer. As for the battery life, 6 hours might be a bit of a stretch -- I think 4.5 to 5 hours is more reasonable. But that all depends on how you configure your computer (e.g., if you run it in low energy mode, turn on or decrease less essential features).

However, if you opt for a MacBook, you can get something much cheaper (starting at $1099) but smaller and less powerful.

And if you want something that looks cool and is ultra-portable, there's always the Macbook Air.

Best Buy's performance plan served me well...

Print that out and frame it somewhere. It's probably the only time I've ever witnessed that sentiment!

(But awesome for you that it's paid off!)

I've taken it in five or six times in three years, and always had swift service and good repairs. But then, I *have* had to take in five or six times....

Okay, I'm getting flooded with advice on Facebook. Looks like the choice is now between a Macbook and a Pro, and the trick is to find the best route for a discount through Apple. Enough people have told me to ONLY buy from Apple, because of the dependable service, so I've resolved to go that route.

Another question:

Since I'm accustomed to Word for Windows, Powerpoint... the basic Office package... should I get Office for Mac? Or should I just learn to switch to the iWork package?

Office for Mac is basically the same as Office for Windows; the programs are pretty interchangeable. And the latest version, 2008, has received some pretty high reviews. If you're feeling geeky, here's a pretty indepth overview of what's good and bad in the latest Mac version:

The applications are better looking, and produce better looking documents too. Sure, you can tell that My Day is a 1.0 addition, but that's not much of a complaint. Perhaps the best thing that can be said about software that one uses in the course of working is that even if it doesn't make the work fun, it doesn't make it any worse, and that's certainly the story with Office 2008. Those spreadsheets, presentations and software reviews won't write themselves, but now it's a deal easier to make them look like they did. That it does that in just the way you'd want a great Macintosh program to behave is good news for Office workers.

I've not worked much with iWork, but my office is in the process of switching from to NeoOffice, an OS X version of OpenOffice, which is an open-source Office competitor. I've used it a little bit -- I don't do much word processing in my line of work -- but yeah, it's pretty much an Office application. You've got word processing, spreadsheets, etc. I don't know how it compares with the more advanced Word features that someone like my wife -- who works as an editor -- would use. But for everyday writing, it gets the job done.

Okay, I'm getting flooded with advice on Facebook. Looks like the choice is now between a Macbook and a Pro, and the trick is to find the best route for a discount through Apple. Enough people have told me to ONLY buy from Apple, because of the dependable service, so I've resolved to go that route.

Personally, I'd go with a Macbook Pro, primarily because of the bigger screen and extra horsepower and memory. And yes, go through Apple. I've never had anything but good experience with them.

One thing about buying from Apple, though. All of the models of the Macbook Pro come with 2GB of RAM, which is decent. But I'd recommend maxing that out to 4GB; you'll never complain about the extra speed and performance.

However, don't order the upgrade via Apple. For whatever reason, Apple charges a premium on their RAM. Instead, order the extra RAM from a third party like Crucial. Apple will charge $200, whereas Crucial will only charge you $81.99 for the full 4GB. Of course, that requires you (or a geeky friend) installing the RAM -- which isn't difficult, but something that some folks don't want to mess with.