Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

Ernest goes to Baltimore.

After an impromptu, unofficial world premiere at Flickerings, my third film, "Ernest Goes to the Window," will be having its official premiere as part of MicroCineFest in Baltimore sometime between Wednesday, October 15th and Sunday, October 19th. I will most likely be there, if any of the D.C.-area conglomerate would like to meet the blight upon this otherwise lovely board. More details will be posted as I get them. My acceptance letter says that 250 entries were received; given the quality of "Ernest," I am currently assuming that at least 240 were accepted.

Also, my fourth film, "S.C.," will be screening in Richmond as part of the "Attack of the 50-Foot Reels" program at 8:00p on September 24th. I will certainly be there, if any of the imaginary Richmond-area conglomerate would like to meet the blight upon this otherwise lovely board. More details available by e-mailing or PMing me, but I don't think they'll be necessary.

Dale

Not that anyone's going to attend. But.

The world premiere of "S.C." is tonight at 8:00p in Richmond's Canal Club. (Apparently, they have power.) For some reason, I suspect it will either be the best of the 20 films on the program or one of the worst. I am not sure why. My intention was to write the score myself, but because of the hurricane, I am cheating and using parts of Georgi Sviridov's "Pastorale" and "Time, Forward!" instead. (The latter is the piece used as the score in Guy Maddin's "The Heart of the World"; I am hoping no one in the audience is the wiser.)

The (official) world premiere of "Ernest Goes to the Window" is on the "Experimiscellaneous Shorts" program in Baltimore's MicroCineFest at 8:00p on Thursday, October 16th. That is not the time I was hoping for. I have no idea at this point whether or not I will be able to attend, but if some of y'all DCers are able and willing to watch me make a fool of myself as an actor for nine minutes, I'll make more of an effort to appear in person. Shockingly, the festival only took 77 films rather than the 240 films I hypothesized in this thread's first post; I'm thus assuming the acceptance of

I foolishly wrote:

: The world premiere of "S.C." is tonight at 8:00p in Richmond's Canal

: Club.

Alas, the reels for the festival are lost somewhere between Roanoke, Va. and Richmond, Va., so -- assuming they find them eventually -- the premiere has been rescheduled. I will let you know when the event will happens. (Not that you care, mind, but I need to keep my post count up near Esdeegee, Danny, and R. Lucas, and every little bit helps.)

Dale

For the sole reason that I promised I would let you know: The new premiere date for "S.C." is this coming Wednesday, same time, same location.

Dale

Thank you for your interest, Donald! I did not know you cared.

The premiere went quite well. Judging from audience reaction, "S.C." -- easily my most populist film, despite centering on punctuation -- was one of the three or four best-received shorts of the 20 on the program. (The best-received short was stupider than stupid; the second-best-received was easily my favorite.) Due to the processing or the projection or the camera I used or my Super 8 incompetence, the film as a whole came out a couple notches darker than I would have liked (which I should be able to fix when I get the MiniDV copy in the next couple weeks) so the folks in front and middle (where the intertitles were more readable) were laughing their butts off, while the folks in back were largely confused. Regardless, in most ways, I'd consider it the best of my four films, and I certainly need to film on Super 8 again.

Dale

Of the Prins films I haven't yet seen, "Ernest" is definitely my favorite.

I hypothesize that of the Prins films you have not yet seen, "S.C." would be your favorite. But I could certainly be wrong.

Dale