Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Youth Without Youth

Part of me is excited that the man who made The Godfather and Apocalypse Now is making another movie.

Then I remember Jack and that Grisham film that I didn't even know was Coppola's until later. This is one of those cases where I gues it could go either way. Does he have another great film in him? Or did he burn out early and transfer his greatnes on to his children?

I just saw Godfather Part II for the first time earlier this week, and I was amazed by the direction, in particular his skill at framing a shot. But I don't hold out much hope that this will be comparable to his earlier movies.

Considering that I am still in love with Apocalypse Now (non-Redux, throw the Redux in the trash), I admit to being excited about anything Sofia's dad lays his hand on. Considering that Apocalypse Now is a better film than much of what I've seen in the past two and a half years since I first saw it, I will look forward to ANYTHING the guy does. Oh, and, the Hearts of Darkness doc has something to do with this love affair to.

Did I happen to mention that I love Apocalypse Now?

What does Bortz want us to look at? I don't get it.

-s.

Stef, I saw the Hearts of Darkness doc finally this summer. It rekindled my love for the film.

And I agree, though I've been dissapointed with his last few films, I'm willing to give they guy who brought us Apocalypse Now and The Godfather the benefit of the doubt.

Anders, when I get to heaven I am going to go backpacking with you.

-s.

stef wrote:

: Considering that I am still in love with Apocalypse Now (non-Redux, throw the Redux

: in the trash), I admit to being excited about anything Sofia's dad lays his hand on.

But stef, isn't the Redux reason enough to NOT get excited? Isn't getting excited by the prospect of a new Francis Ford Coppola film now a little like getting excited by the prospect of a new George Lucas film in 1998, a year after he ruined the original Star Wars trilogy with those "special editions"?

OMG, ATROCITY ATROCITY. You just said FFC and GL in the same breath. We can all vacate the movie section of the boards, artistic treason has been commited. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! I would've thought that after we'd corrected the TOP 100 we would've all learned our lesson by now. Wasn't it fun to watch Annakin boil?

-s.

stef wrote:

: OMG, ATROCITY ATROCITY. You just said FFC and GL in the same breath. We can all

: vacate the movie section of the boards, artistic treason has been commited.

Heh. Of course, you know that Lucas's first two films (THX 1138 and American Graffiti) were produced by Coppola, and you know that the idea behind Apocalypse Now -- translating Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness to Vietnam -- was Lucas's, right? This is why Harrison Ford appears in so many of their movies from that era, and why he plays a guy named "Col. G. Lucas" in Apocalypse Now.

Oh, is this that fantasy trilogy (or whatever) that Jeff was so excited about here a while ago? (If I could remember any distinctive words that came up in that thread, I would find it and link to it...)

Oh, is this that fantasy trilogy (or whatever) that Jeff was so excited about here a while ago?  (If I could remember any distinctive words that came up in that thread, I would find it and link to it...)

Yup, one and the same.

If there ever were a tangled web woven, this was one.

Y'know, I can't decide whether or not to capitalize "without" in the title of this movie. I generally don't capitalize prepositions (and I HATE it when iTunes or RealPlayer calls up a track list and Every Single Fricken "A" And "Of" And "And" And So On is capitalized...), but it seems weird not to capitalize a seven-letter word in a movie title.

Y'know, I can't decide whether or not to capitalize "without" in the title of this movie. I generally don't capitalize prepositions (and I HATE it when iTunes or RealPlayer calls up a track list and Every Single Fricken "A" And "Of" And "And" And So On is capitalized...), but it seems weird not to capitalize a seven-letter word in a movie title.

It depends on which style guide you want to follow. Chicago still would have you lowercase all prepositions regardless of length. Many others tell you to capitalize any word more than four letters long, regardless of which part of speech it is.

I was watching a longer trailer for this film on my Mac, when I could have sworn I saw Matt Damon in a short scene. So I looked it up on IMDB, and low and behold he is listed as uncredited. Huh.

Yes, Matt Damon is in this film, for all of half a minute,

As far as the film itself, it is bizarre, like Coppola was trying to channel David Lynch. The film makes as much sense as Inland Empire, or Zardoz or something like that. The "plot" concerns an elderly linguistics professor who gets struck by lightning, turns into a much younger man, and has an uncanny knack for knowing every language imaginable. And a girl who reminds him of a former flame from many years ago. And a lot of philosophical mumbo-jumbo. And exploring the origin of human speech. Or something like that. In any event, this may be the first sci-fi film I've ever seen set during World War II.

But the film is beautiful to look at, and in spite of the absurdity of it, or because it is so strange, I really enjoyed it. Or maybe I was in a weird mood when I saw it.

Edited by Crow

So... Exactly ONE person saw this after all the hype. And I got the DVD, my weekly $3 Big Bucks at Big Lots, and check it out, Big Lots has finally failed me. Big time. Half of this film is in, like, Elf language or something and there are no English subtitles. Well, there aren't for the film. There are for the director's commentary.

I saw enough of it to think it was pretty like Crow, but I'm not certain it merits a Netflix rental. How disappointing.

PS Totally hilarious, Overstreet duplicates his own thread. Been there, done that. :)

So... Exactly ONE person saw this after all the hype. And I got the DVD, my weekly $3 Big Bucks at Big Lots, and check it out, Big Lots has finally failed me. Big time. Half of this film is in, like, Elf language or something and there are no English subtitles. Well, there aren't for the film. There are for the director's commentary.

I'm not the only one complaining about this.

When I saw it on DVD, the subtitles were working fine.

Anyway, I don't really like YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH. It's a load of pretentious twaddle, even if it is shot and scored very, very nicely.

When I saw it on DVD, the subtitles were working fine.

Anyway, I don't really like YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH. It's a load of pretentious twaddle, even if it is shot and scored very, very nicely.

But I LOVED IT!

(jokin')

I would like to actually see it though. I think. I don't know, maybe not.

I would like to actually see it though. I think. I don't know, maybe not.

I'm actually glad I saw it once through, but only because I'm a big Coppola fan, and this was perhaps the most personal film he's made. Between this and TETRO, it's been nice to see him return to small-scale filmmaking. I greatly prefer TETRO to YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH, though, even if it's far from perfect.

We had a good thread on this somewhere I thought. The film is the best depiction of notions of Sacred Time that I have seen in film. A wonderful philosophical treatise.