Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

2005 College Football

As a Florida State alum and a University of Tennessee student, I can't help but love college football. Although my interest in sports, in general, seems to be waning as I get older, I still love wasting a Saturday afternoon flipping between the different games.

Any other fans?

I was prompted to start this thread after spending amost of last night screaming profanity at the TV, convinced that UT was the sloppiest, most over-rated team in the country, before having to eat my words in the second half. The Vols put on one of the best comebacks I've ever seen, beating LSU in Baton Rouge in overtime after being down 21-0 at half. That's why I love the game.

As a Florida State alum and a University of Tennessee student, I can't help but love college football. Although my interest in sports, in general, seems to be waning as I get older, I still love wasting a Saturday afternoon flipping between the different games.

You're an FSU man?! That's awesome! I root for the Noles' myself, not because I'm from Florida but because I just really like their tomahawk chop, their helmets, and the whole milieu that surrounds their home games. Also, the only team we have up here is BC and I don't like them (and I currently go to a school that doesn't have its own team).

Additionally, my sister is currently doing campus ministry at the Catholic Student Union down there, so thats another reason why I like FSU. Part of her outreach involves making sure the Catholic football fans don't get too drunk on game-day.

I was glad to see that the Noles' laid the smackdown on theologically-hokey Boston College two weeks ago. Triumph of the Bible Belt over the cynical north, it was. biggrin.gif

I was there during the "Wide Right" years. The 'Noles ain't the team they used to be -- when Mark Richt left for Georgia, he took the FSU offense with him -- but I still follow the team pretty closely.

True story. My college roommate was a regular attender at the Catholic church just across Tennessee street from campus, and he used to laugh (and sigh) about how the leaders of the Catholic Student Union would schedule gatherings around local happy hours. I was active in Reformed university Fellowship. We drank, too, but we sure as heck wouldn't admit to it. wink.gif

I have spent the vast majority of my post-college autumn saturdays mourning the fact I did not immediate contribute to Ohio State's alumni fund and thus secure myself a certain ticket to at least one Buckeyes game per year.

A proud and prominent DVD in my home movie collection is the 2002 National Championship game, one of the greatest Collegiate. Football. Games. Ever!

user posted image

Go Bucks! (Who I am convinced will be playing Texas in a rematch in this years Rose Bowl). excl.gif

Oh shut up. "M" Go Blue! At some point if Carr can get his team to play. wink.gif

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Fight On!

Hmm. I really need some Crimson and Gold to make it plain that Troy rules the world (for a 3-peat?)

True story. My college roommate was a regular attender at the Catholic church just across Tennessee street from campus, and he used to laugh (and sigh) about how the leaders of the Catholic Student Union would schedule gatherings around local happy hours. I was active in Reformed university Fellowship. We drank, too, but we sure as heck wouldn't admit to it.

That's probably the same Church my sister works at; Saint Thomas More, I think it's called? Anyways, yes, I've heard many tales of rowdy partying down there. My current spiritual director, a Brother from the Brotherhood of Hope, attended FSU too (that's how he found the Brotherhood, actually), and boy does he have some stories to tell. Not like he still participates, or anything. biggrin.gif

I've actually toyed with the idea of going to FSU myself... but it's far away, and the culture is probably a lot different from what I'm used to. Still, that might make it even more fun.

On a more football-related note, I was slightly disappointed that Clemson lost last weekend. Those damned Eagles. angry.gif

Oh shut up. "M" Go Blue! At some point if Carr can get his team to play. wink.gif

I would have responded earlier, but Ephesians 4:29 prevents me from talking about that school up north.

But it doesn't prevent me from saying, Go Spartans! (until Oct 15). tongue.gif

Oh, and Arizona State will beat USC. And ND and Cal might, too. That's right. You heard it here first.

(By the way, if anyone is interested, I have some nice oceanfront property for sale just 20 minutes north of Cincinnati...)

Well, its only the second quarter in the USC-UCLA game, but I am publicly eating crow. Not Crow from A&F. Just crow.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

I'm not watching the game, but it looks like "Conquest" and "Fight On" are probably getting pretty boring for the Trojan band.

UT fans, get used to hearing these.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Florida State gets a BCS bowl? Does ACC get an automatic spot there in non-championship years?

The ACC has always been a member of the BCS. The only difference this year is that, because of the league's expansion to 12 teams, they've instituted a new championship game (like the SEC's and Big 12's) that determines who gets the BCS spot. Despite their crappy record, FSU still managed to win the "Atlantic" division of the ACC to earn their spot in the championship game. Virginia Tech and Miami both have better records and higher rankings, but by beating VT on Saturday, FSU is ACC champ.

I'm sure the folks at the Orange Bowl don't mind. They get a Florida team (and a guaranteed sell-out) and the Bowden-Paterno match-up will generate almost as much pre-game publicity as the Rose Bowl.

I'm a Univ. of Oregon student; must I say more?

SFD SFD SFDD"ASS FMKL:

S AFKL:

Wow...for just bangin' the keyboard, I got some pretty nasty stuff to come out.

And really, my other team is Notre Dame, so I can't complain...too much. I would have loved to see Oregon vs. ND. Still, I think OSU is probably a good bit better that Oregon.

And Florida State? So much for good match-ups this year. Can you say 'playoffs'? Yes, I know it's all about money not matchups, but really...

And Florida State? So much for good match-ups this year. Can you say 'playoffs'? Yes, I know it's all about money not matchups, but really...

You are distracted by the four games of the BCS. The BCS only exists to pit a #1 against a #2. After that, it is business as it always was with the legacy bowls getting the first pickings. We always get a #1 against a #2. Every year. The BCS, with its "refinements" here and there, gets its job done.

I'm a Univ. of Oregon student; must I say more?

SFD SFD SFDD"ASS FMKL:

S AFKL:

Wow...for just bangin' the keyboard, I got some pretty nasty stuff to come out.

And really, my other team is Notre Dame, so I can't complain...too much. I would have loved to see Oregon vs. ND. Still, I think OSU is probably a good bit better that Oregon.

tongue.gif

(Displaying the grace commended by Rich in the OSU-UM thread)

edit to include: Oh, and the Bucks will trounce ND too.

Edited by Buckeye Jones