Sign in to follow this  
Sara

How do I convert a picture into an avatar?

I have hated all of my avatars. They just were not me.

So now that I am a Member (smile.gif) how do I convert a photograph into an avatar? I am not that computer savvy. I do have a scanner. But after I scan the pic, what do I do? unsure.gif

Sara

You'll want to crop/reduce it down to a manageable size (say 150 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall) and save it out using a web image format (since it's a photo, you'll probably want to use the JPEG format).

What software are/will you be using?

You'll want to crop/reduce it down to a manageable size (say 150 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall) and save it out using a web image format (since it's a photo, you'll probably want to use the JPEG format).

What software are/will you be using?

Opus, I have an Epson scanner. I was planning on scanning a picture and then hopefully getting it into some folder in my computer. ( Using scan and save feature on the scanner, I think.)

But then getting it out of my computer and sending it here to use as an avatar ...well, I don't know how to do that.

How do I put it in JPEG format instead of BIT something or other? unsure.gif

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Sara

My laptop has gone boom, otherwise I'd offer to help you. It's a simple operation, and pretty much anyone here can do it, I'm sure.

Opus, I have an Epson scanner. I was planning on scanning a picture and then hopefully getting it into some folder in my computer. ( Using scan and save feature on the scanner, I think.)

You might need to check the documentation that came with your scanner, but I'm assuming that your scanner came with some sort of rudimentary photo-editing software. And different photo-editing software have different ways of doing things.

But whatever the case, your photo-editing software should allow you to do two things. One, it should allow you to resize and crop your image, which you'll want to do in order to get it to the proper size. Two, it should allow you to save or export your image to a new file, preferably as a JPEG image.

Once you've got that done, come to the Arts&Faith website, click on the "MyControls" link at the top of the screen, then click on the "Edit Avatar Settings" link in the left column (it's about 2/3 of the way down). Then you'll want to use the "Upload a new image from your computer" option, which will take the image you scanned, resized/cropped, and exported, and create your new avatar.

But as I said, you'll probably need to first look at the documentation or help material that came with your scanner, because that should tell you how to use the scanner and the photo-editing software that came with it.

Edited by opus

You might need to check the documentation that came with your scanner, but I'm assuming that your scanner came with some sort of rudimentary photo-editing software. And different photo-editing software have different ways of doing things.

But whatever the case, your photo-editing software should allow you to do two things. One, it should allow you to resize and crop your image, which you'll want to do in order to get it to the proper size. Two, it should allow you to save or export your image to a new file, preferably as a JPEG image.

Once you've got that done, come to the Arts&Faith website, click on the "MyControls" link at the top of the screen, then click on the "Edit Avatar Settings" link in the left column (it's about 2/3 of the way down). Then you'll want to use the "Upload a new image from your computer" option, which will take the image you scanned, resized/cropped, and exported, and create your new avatar.

Thanks, Opus. I think I understand now what to do. Problem I am having is with opening the files (JPEG) that my scanner sends to the computer. File says 45K or so, then I open, and there is nothing there.

I have worked on it today until I am crazy. No avatar is worth this.

I'm going to let it rest.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Sara

But as I said, you'll probably need to first look at the documentation or help material that came with your scanner, because that should tell you how to use the scanner and the photo-editing software that came with it.

First, introduce it to the avatar gospels!

Thanks Jason! I read the title of this just a second ago and thought I would post something similar, then I saw your post.

Perfect timing and yours reads better than mine would have. It made my LOL, which instantly made my response SOL.

Thanks, Opus. I think I understand now what to do. Problem I am having is with opening the files (JPEG) that my scanner sends to the computer. File says 45K or so, then I open, and there is nothing there.

Perhaps you have corrupted driver files? You might want to try to uninstall/reinstall the scanner drivers; or, alternately, try running the scanner from within your photo processing program (e. g. in "Photoshop LE" use the File-Import-Twain 32 option). Scanners are dodgy beasts at best, but they can usually be partially tamed, although mine still on occasion refuses to work at all without rebooting the entire system.