TV shows I could watch over and over

And they are from the BBC (sometimes shown on PBS and now on DVD.)

They are:

Keeping Up Appearances

Are You Being Served?

Both so funny and very British and are just wonderful to watch anytime whether you are feeling good or bad.

Not "spiritual," except that they are fun (and poke fun.) And make you feel better. And raise your spirit!

They've been around a long time.

Sara

We've been renting Upstairs/Downstairs from Netflix. I was a devoted viewer when the series was on PBS back in the '80s. I don't think I want to own it, but am enjoying the re-view.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Are You Being Served?

I was a huge fan of this as a kid, when I'd catch the odd episode here and there on PBS. Good stuff.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The Kids In the Hall

Saturday Night Live! (largely post-Chevy Chase, 1984, and late '80's-early '90's)

The Dick Van Dyke Show

any incarnation of Bob Newhart's shows.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Holds up remarkably well for me and my dad, and still amuses my mother, who has had a series of strokes since 1994 which impaired her speech and, eventually, language comprehension abilities, but she still laughs and (occasionally) cries at the Van Dyke episodes on DVD.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

My folks never liked it, but Dena and I both enjoy it all the more as our relationship matures. This is rare in that our senses of humor are often incompatible.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I agree with the Kids in the Hall (which, fortunately, we can watch over and over because the good Mrs. Death Ray owns all seasons on DVD)

Babylon 5 (which, fortunately, we can watch over and over because I have every episode recorded on VHS for seasons 1-4 -- I'm missing a few of Season 5)

Farscape (need to get those DVDs)

Firefly (though I suppose it would wear a bit thin with only 14 episodes)

The Prisoner (I love this show so very, very much, and I have the complete run on DVD)

Annnd... hm. That seems to be all that I can think of. Funny, it seems very heavily tilted to a specific genre...

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

My favorite television show is the McLaughlin Group, but I doubt they'll ever release that to DVD, though I'd definitely buy it, just to see John McLaughlin shout down Eleanor Clift in slow-mo.

But other, non-political shows, that I could watch and watch again:

Seinfeld

Frasier

Sopranos

My best friend and his family watch Buffy over and over and over. I like the Buffyverse, but they've told me that they've watched the musical episode over 100 times. Whenever they watch it, they all pick whose parts they are going to sing.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I'm not sure if I could watch it over and over, but Star Trek: The Next Generation is fun to watch every now and again.

I'd say that my favorite show, and hence the one I would watch the most often, is 24. That's good stuff.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

So far, Firefly is the only I actually have watched more than once. And will again, once I get them back from my friend.

Babylon 5, though I still need to finish the series. I haven't watched season five yet.

O'Brien-centric episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

I just received the first season of Battlestar: Galactica (with the miniseries), though I haven't yet watched any of the episodes. If it's as good as I think it is, this one will probably also be a repeater.

Edited to clarify--the new Battlestar Galactica, not the original

Edited by Ann D.
Subtlety is underrated
Edited to clarify--the new Battlestar Galactica, not the original

You probably didn't need to explain, Ann. Although I'm sure there are people in the world who can re-watch the original B.G., no one would suspect you of being one of them.

Apologies--I know that's a snobbish thing to say, but if there's anyone here who wants to defend the original over the remake, go for it.

The Prisoner (I love this show so very, very much, and I have the complete run on DVD)

Agreed. Then there's Sandbaggers, which is also on DVD, which ran to all of 20 episodes. It's a spy show in which the main character can be best described as the anti-James Bond.

There's too much apathy in the world; but, then, who cares?