Sign in to follow this  
The Baptist Death Ray

NaNoWriMo!

I'm somewhat back on track, now....

Oh, yes, the editorializing. I'm just glad I decided to write something light; if I were trying to write "Light in August" or something, it never would get done! And you're right; writing on through does help the plot develop more (dare I say it?) naturally.

I've hit the 10,000 word mark. I'm doing a rewriting-reenvisioning of a previous story idea. I think that this exercise is good even though the process does result in a lot of overly verbose and meandering prose. It helps me in developing a plot, since I'm not good in outlining one ahead of time.

I'm scared to go back and try to edit this junk, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that for a month. I just hope I can salvage something worth keeping.

Edited by Crow

I made my 50,000 words.

I suspect my efforts are the literary equivalent of Joanna Newsom lyric-writing, but hey, I got a cool certificate out of the deal! ::w00t::

Edited by Crow

No such luck/committment here. Sigh.

Well--there's always next year, right?

Is anyone doing NaNoWrimo this year? I'm giving it a shot, one again. I have an (admittedly flimsy) plot idea, but hopefully I can turn it into a lot of words that make sense. Maybe I'll wind up with a passable novel out of it. Or maybe use it as the starting place for a masters thesis on redundant verbosity.

Or else give me an excuse to drink a lot of coffee :computer007:

I've managed to lurch over the halfway mark, 25000 words. But now that my two main characters have finally met, I need to figure out what these two are going to do together. I might have to resort to my old standby when stuck in these situations, Ninja fighting!

::ninja_hide::

I'm really lagging behind. I'm just at the 10K mark, and I need to double that ASAP. I don't know what happened, since the whole historical romance thing isn't really hard to do. I think I'm caring about plot and character development too much and that's holding me up. :)

I have made it, 50,480 words!

And now I'm only a couple thousand words until the end of my novel, so I hope to knock those out this weekend. Then I'll have to go back and actually look at what I've managed to put on my computer. I suspect by the time I knock out all the filler, I'll wind up with a short novella or a long short story, but that's OK.

I never got around to any ninja fighting, just a story about a guy who wins the lotter and turns into a rather isolated and apathetic person, who learns to rejoin the human race by his encounters with interesting people and finding a cause to care about. At least I think they're interesting people.

Anyone attempting this for 2010? Panella?

A co-worker of mine is doing it and encouraging me to try as well.

If I can come up with an idea in the next week I might try it.

I'm going to try this year, thought wisdom suggests I shouldn't; between grad school and other little bits of busy-ness, I'll not have much time. Still, my strategies this year are 1) don't stop to edit, and 2) throw all terrible genre conventions at the wall and hope some stick (and this is from ALL genres), and 3) when in doubt, have pirates attack.

I'm making another attempt. There is a pretty big Nanowrimo community where I live, so it will give me a chance to hang out with some old friends again as we get together on Saturdays in a local coffee shop, staring at laptop while we talk about sci-fi and zombies.

As far as what I'm actually going to write, well, I have a vague outline involving medical experiments, hallucinations, dream sequences, ninjas, and aging rock stars turned into superheroes. I don't know what to make of all it, but I'll throw it all into my laptop and see what sticks. Maybe a side plot about hipster Christians, that seems to be all the rage these days. :)

As to whether I'll have time to get this done in November, due to having a real life, that's another matter (never mind the past writing projects that are sitting in my laptop, that I haven't got around to finishing.) And since Nanowrimo starts on a Monday this year, I'll need to increase my coffee consumption accordingly.

Edited by Crow

I was tempted to do this, but I don't have time. Now I'm tempted to try to somehow turn the energy behind this into some kind of 'month of academic writing' if that's possible. Like, using all the NaNoWriMo tools and ideas and things to make myself do the other writing that I need to do. Maybe somebody has had this idea before. I'll Google it.

(pause for Googling)

OK, Somebody came up National Research Writing Month last year...that's kind of fun. Some people have also suggested National Dissertation Writing Month, though that doesn't seem to have gotten off the ground either.

I might've stalled out before I even typed a single word, but this month has still been useful: I've been building the skeleton of a novel that I plan to work on. This is exciting, since I've been on a three-year hiatus from fiction writing. This might actually work!

Yeah, I definitely won't finish by November 30, but I've got an idea that I really like. I'm going to keep working on it and hopefully have a rough draft done by the new year.

I'm actually on pace to finish early this year, which is a nice change. I have my wife on board as well, so we spur each other on to new heights (or lows, depending on perspective).

I have crossed the 25K mark at the halfway point of November, and the novel is still somewhat on track. And it is clear that the time has come for my main character to grow a spine and kill some vampires and zombies. Yea!

I have crossed the 25K mark at the halfway point of November, and the novel is still somewhat on track. And it is clear that the time has come for my main character to grow a spine and kill some vampires and zombies. Yea!

Fantastic, Jim! I'm impressed...you're really keeping pace, too!

I have managed to stagger across the finish line! A shade over 50,000 words.

In our region, St. Louis, that makes me the 20th person to hit 50K, so we've had a good year. It if wasn't for our supportive community, I don't think I would have been motivated to make it this far.

Zombies and other creatures have been dispatched, damsels in distress have been saved, and superpowers have been unleased by aging musicians. I don't know if there is any redeeming value to this prose, or if will corrupt the minds of impressionable youth. But I got a nice little certificate.

Edited by Crow

Congrats, Crow! My wife finished yesterday and posted on Facebook. I added a response -- and then watched my Hotmail In Box fill up with other responses from her friends to that post.