Sign in to follow this  
BethR

"God Bloggers" Conference

Christian bloggers confer at Biola U. AP covers the story.

Thought this might be of interest to some here.

Conference schedule and link to conference blog.

I didn't go looking for this, BTW, and it didn't come to me from Biola--the story turned up in the "Technology" news section of my ISP homepage.

I guess there's a conference for everything.

I have a hard time understanding the appeal of conferences in general. In my experience, conferences are a waste of time and money. As long as it's on my employer's dime, I don't mind them, but what can you learn at a conference that you can't read in a book in a fraction of the time? Maybe people pay all that money for plane tickets and registration fees for the opportunity to network.

Thoughts?

Links to the same story as in my post, at a different site.

what can you learn at a conference that you can't read in a book in a fraction of the time?

Jonathan Last, in "God on the Internet" , answers this question:

Archbishop John Foley...did understand something about the dangers of weakened incarnation.

Beth,

I'll take human-to-human interaction over the Internet any day... All I'm saying is that in my experience, conferences are often inefficient (and the ones I've been to are shmoozefests at best).

Beth,

I'll take human-to-human interaction over the Internet any day... All I'm saying is that in my experience, conferences are often inefficient (and the ones I've been to are shmoozefests at best).

Seems to me that the last quote of Beth's was not responded to, finnegan. Foley is taking the argument beyond schmooze and hanging out and into corporate worship. Doesn't he have a point about the worship aspect? Even if you don't believe in the Real Presence, do you believe that a virtual communion service would be even a reasonable standin for kneeling together with any number of folks at all in humility before God?

GodblogCon hits the bigtime in Las Vegas this year. Apparently I'm the only A&F'er who finds this phenomenon of interest, but even if I wanted to attend, which I don't particularly, Vegas is one of my personal metaphors for hell (apologies to all the good folk who live and work there in non-glittery capacities), so...

GodblogCon hits the bigtime in Las Vegas this year. Apparently I'm the only A&F'er who finds this phenomenon of interest, but even if I wanted to attend, which I don't particularly, Vegas is one of my personal metaphors for hell (apologies to all the good folk who live and work there in non-glittery capacities), so...

Some of the more "technical" seminars -- "Basics of Blogging", "Writing Well in the New Media" -- look intriguing, but mainly because I'm a geek. I hope a lot of people attend the "Writing Well" seminar, perhaps even moreso than "Design Desiderata for the Godblogger." Dang it, people really need to know how to write for the Web, especially if they're going to be blogging.

(Oh, and the fanboy in me hopes that Dustin Steeve gives ExpressionEngine a fair shake when he's talking about the various blogging platforms out there, and doesn't just focus on the likes of WordPress and Movable Type.)

[Vegas is one of my personal metaphors for hell

I hate Las Vegas. I had to go there for the NAB convention for a few years in the 1990s, and the experience, while essential to the business that employed me, was thoroughly detestable. I would never return voluntarily.