Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

How expensive would it be to...

...get about an hour of studio time to record just one track of someone speaking, and then get that audio -- unedited, as I'll edit it myself -- given to me on a CD? The audio on all my films sucks, and as almost all of my upcoming "A Week of Prayers" is in voiceover (and yes, your guess is correct on how the voiceover is being used) and thus synching is not an issue, I thought I might pay to get a better sound, depending on the cost. Maybe some musicians might have an idea.

(I'd like to have about an hour in a studio with an acoustic piano, too, but I wonder if that may be even more expensive. I think I'm going to need an unrestricted educational grant for "Prayers" to pay for it.)

Dale

Prices are going to vary depending on the studio (equipment, size, time and block periods). You actually have several options.

(1) Check around for smaller studios, preferably digital as it saves time and overhead for both parties so they will typically be cheaper. Some studios have small vocals rooms specifically designed for this type of recording so they do not have to rent the big rooms.

If a studio will do an hour block it should really cost too much but I suppose that is a relative statement. Say somewhere around $100.

(2) Record it onto your PC. Since a normal speaking voice doesn

: (2) Record it onto your PC.

: ...

:

: (3) Depending on your camera, if it is a miniDV you could record digitally

: right to the tape in an extremely quiet room then firewire your audio to

: your PC.

Those are the two methods that I used in some of the segments in "Eileen," and they worked...okay. (The bass was was severely lacking, for example.) I'd like "A Week of Prayers" to look and sound somewhat more professional. I'm certainly open to other, cheaper ideas, however.

I'll probably just have to get prices from local studios, I suppose.

Dale

Lack of lower frequencies can be corrected ini a software program or on the EQ settings of your soundcard.

It will also depend on the microphone being used. The standard Shure line (SM58) is good but it is better to use a larger diaphragm condenser mic this will pick up a larger frequency spectrum. You could use a larger bit rate and make sure it is all in stereo.

If you have a sample file you could send me I can see what I can do to fill it out.

: Lack of lower frequencies can be corrected ini a software program or on

: the EQ settings of your soundcard.

I tried playing with the equalizer in Premiere -- particularly in raising the bass level -- but I got too much ambient noise.

: It will also depend on the microphone being used.

That's the thing about the whole thing. I'm wondering if the church I attend has better ones; I may have to talk to the sound booth dudes.

: If you have a sample file you could send me I can see what I can do to

: fill it out.

I will. Thanks.

Dale

if you are ever in the Madison / Chicago area we can record it for free. We have a pro-tools system with some nice mikes. But alas, Richmond is a long trek from Madison. But, if you are ever around....

Heck, send me the script and I'll do it. There might be a charge for burning the CD, since my old digital deck can't send a direct audio to a CD burner (arrgh), and if I can't figure out a way around that I'll have to borrow a friend's studio just for the burning portion of the job.

But you'd get the voice talent and the recording time for free.

: Heck, send me the script and I'll do it.

Dude, if you weren't a dude, I might take you up on it. But, alas, the protag is a young female, age 16-20, and while I don't need the voiceover girl and the on-screen actress to be the same person, I do need them to be the same gender and (to a reasonable degree) age.

Dale

By the way, thanks to all who have given advice regarding voice recording both here and through private means; it's all been very helpful to me.

Dale

Nate - you should see about joining the Chicago Area chapter for a movie sometime. It's a bit of a drive but if you post it we will gather.

Prins got to feel good about all the offers here.

FWIW, I actually got an RTVF degree, and I was in good with the right professors, so they let me come back to use the studio equipment if ever I need. Doing that right now, in fact.

Maybe you (or someone you know) are in a similar situation? ...or is still a student? Students usually get free use of those things, especially the upper classmen.

: Heck, send me the script and I'll do it.

Dude, if you weren't a dude, I might take you up on it.  But, alas, the protag is a young female, age 16-20, and while I don't need the voiceover girl and the on-screen actress to be the same person, I do need them to be the same gender and (to a reasonable degree) age.

Picky, picky...

My wife is qualified to do this (MFA from Cal Arts). She's 36 but has a classroom full of examples of young folks' speech patterns from which to draw.