Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Wikipedia

Details here. But basically, I made a change to this page, and it's the first time I have ever edited an article in Wikipedia. It was fun. I am kind of tempted to do it again.

Has anyone else here had any experience with this?

Details here.  But basically, I made a change to this page, and it's the first time I have ever edited an article in Wikipedia.  It was fun.  I am kind of tempted to do it again.

Has anyone else here had any experience with this?

I'm a Wikipedian, but only in a minor way. Here is my "Contributions" page. I have created articles on Alana De La Garza (who I hope gets to play Wonder Woman for Joss Whedon), Dr. Gordon P. Hugenberger, and Cuttyhunk Island. I have contributed to pages on Superman, Wonder Woman, Joseph (Hebrew Bible) and others...

User name? CrimsonLine. Of course.

finnegan   

I'm in a theology discussion group and we have a PB wiki page that we use to continue our discussions online and link to articles we've read on a given topic. At first I was a bit sceptical (because we used to have a blogger page with one "administrator", and with wiki, it's so easy to erase someone else's writing) but so far, it's worked out really well. Now everyone is an administrator.

If you have a discussion group and need an online forum, you should consider a PB wiki.

Hooray for open source!

mrmando   

Well, I went and edited the mandolin page. It had the wrong date for Bill Monroe's Gibson F5 mandolin, so I fixed it. There now.

4 moves doesn't seem very hard. I've put some unrelated things in, and get 3 -4 moves fairly easily. (E.g., Ghana to Dietrich Bonhoeffer takes 4)

It never actually occurred to me to add anything to it. Wikipedia actually takes a rather dim view of people using Wikipedia to self-promote, so when I discovered someone had created one for me all I did was correct a few errors and re-organize it so it fit the bio format Wikipedia prefers.

I'm still waiting for them to decide to take it down, actually...

Let me ask you a question, have you come to the place in your wikispirituality, where if you died tonight, you know whether you were going to wikiheaven?

"WikiHeaven is the free afterlife that anyone can edit. It is a multireligious Web-based free-content paradise. WikiHeaven is built collaboratively by those who are and not chosen. The project began at the Beginning of Time as a complement to the God-created Heaven. "

Is Wikipedia becoming a hub for propaganda?

A website that tracks the origins of millions of edits to Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia, shows that computers inside federal government offices are responsible for more than 11,000 changes to articles, including some significant edits of entries about parliamentarians.

WikiScanner, a website launched on Monday by a U.S. graduate student, shows that changes to articles originated from computers inside a variety of government offices, such as the House of Commons, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Environment Canada and the Auditor-General of Canada. The site, however, does not reveal the identity of the individual who made the edits.

While many of the Wikipedia edits clean up grammar or correct facts about Canadian historical figures, geography or pop-culture icons, a significant number of edits were made to articles about politicians that removed criticisms, added positive comments and, in some cases, inserted negative comments to the pages of political rivals. And while users within the self-policing Wikipedia community often restore the undoctored versions of the articles, some have not been touched by the site's moderators. . . .

Globe and Mail, August 16

As much as like seeing The Man take it on the chin, this whole business of Wikipedia edits from Diebold/CIA/etc computers is both overblown and misguided. Overblown because, duh, of course folks are making edits about subjects (like employers) that they care about. And it's misguided because there nothing wrong with someone editing an article on a topic in which they have a personal stake.

Some of the incidents mentioned in the article are problematic, like anonymously deleting a large section of citicisms of one's employer. But to say that that an employee can not edit an article on her employer goes even more against the wikipedia guidelines.

Alan Thomas wrote:

: ? Was there something new in that article ?

You mean, apart from the fact that no one had posted it here yet? Or that it led off with Canadian matters rather than American matters? Or...?

A question: If you look at a year in film at Wikipedia (e.g., 1975) they have a list of top grossing films of the year. Is that for that year, or all money earned since that time? Note that in 1975 The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the #3 grosser.

A question: If you look at a year in film at Wikipedia (e.g., 1975) they have a list of top grossing films of the year. Is that for that year, or all money earned since that time? Note that in 1975 The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the #3 grosser.

I would say the former, but the example you give really throws that in the air.

Kinch   

I know that earlier posts in this thread touched on this, but it hasn't been updated in so long that I don't feel it redundant to ask: does anyone else on A&F contribute to Wikipedia? I can be found as TarkovskyFanX957.