Sign in to follow this  
finnegan

Virginia Film Festival

One more post, highlighting a recent Weekly Standard article.

Sonny Bunch (subscribers only):

I was pleasantly surprised, both by the ease of movement around the university and its environs and by the impressive program that the organizers had thrown together. Celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, the Virginia Film Festival pulled off its usual trick of mixing classics and new releases to create a filmgoing experience at which any cinephile can find something to enjoy.

[in the next paragraph, Sonny goes astray

I'm not going. After posting about the two movies I was planning to see (here and here), I came down with an illness last week, then contracted pink eye for the first time in my life. The result: I missed three days of work.

Although I could probably still go tomorrow and not be in too far over my head here at work, I've decided to bail on the festival. I have a lot to catch up on, and workload aside, I find myself with many fewer hours of Paid Time Off to use than I had just a week ago.

On the upside, this is one of the advantages of not purchasing tickets in advance: I'm not losing anything monetarily. I'm saving, in fact. Still, I'd gladly pay $6 to screen each of the two films in a theater -- plus the tank of gas to get down and back, which would be a lot more than $6.

Right now, I'm not seeing a single film that's calling my name. I'm a wee bit disappointed.

BTW, the linked schedule chart has some holes in it. The alphabetical list of film summaries includes titles not on the chart, but still none that I'm dying to see. The best choices are films I've already seen, and can't get motivated enough about to drive three hours one way to see again.

Looks like I will head down this Friday, although the two films on tap -- The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! (followed by a Q&A with Norman Jewison) and Corked! -- aren't really exciting me. I'm going more just to get out of town for a day and enjoy a beautiful fall drive through Virginia.

Edited by Christian

I was heartened by this review of Corked!, which I'll be screening tomorrow evening. IMDB also links to a Big Hollywood review of the film, but the link is dead.

Per Russ' recommendation at Facebook, I'm going to take my copy of Pictures at a Revolution and see if I can get Norman Jewison to sign it following the afternoon screening of The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!

Last, here's Sonny Bunch's profile of new Virginia Film Festival director Jody Keilbasa, who's looking to take the festival in a more glamorous direction, with more premieres, and away from the idea that each festival have a unifying theme.

EDIT: Found that Big Hollywood review. Eh.

Edited by Christian

The 2010 festival lineup was announced today, and I just remembered tonight to check it!

Festival to Open With Acclaimed New Darren Aronofsky Film Black Swan, Starring Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and Winona Ryder

Festival Guests To Include Award-Winning Director, Writer and Producer Guillermo Del Toro; Filmmaker Tom Shadyac; Actor/Filmmaker Josh Radnor; Famed Writer/Director/Actor Peter Bogdanovich and Others

Will it work out that I can go down to Charlottesville for a day or two? Time to make some plans.

EDIT: Huh. Some good foreign stuff. Clair Denis on Friday and Apichatpong Weerasethakul on Saturday; would love to finally see something from each of them, and on the big screen. More likely: Paper Moon and Alamar on Friday.

Edited by Christian

You get another chance at Alamar!

I'd love to see Jews and Baseball.

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll - exceptional performance by Andy Serkis, and not a bad movie over all - and I know nothing of the band or that style of music.

The Apartment!!!

Why haven't I been able to see Uncle Boonmee yet?

Christian, I'd love for your first experience of Denis and Apitchatpong to come on the big screen, but White Material is my least favorite of Denis's features, and Uncle Boonmee is a bit of a head-scratcher even to those of us who are familiar with his other work. If you can see Boonmee, you should. I think Apitchatpong is one of the most important filmmakers working right now -- one of those figures with whom every critic should be familiar.

The only other new film in the lineup that I'd go out of my way to see is Maren Ade's Everyone Else, which I've been trying to see for over a year now. Then I'd binge on all of the retrospectives.

If anyone will be at the festival tomorrow, let me know. Maybe we can have lunch -- or dinner. I'll probably be around for both.

It's strictly promotional, but

for our Commonwealth's scrappy li'l event is rousing (maybe only to those of who have attended?).

This year's lineup is expected to be announced in early October.

Edited by Christian

The schedule for this year's festival has been announced!

Now that I've posted the link, I guess I better go see what's playing this year.

EDIT: DANG! Some cool stuff on Sunday, when I won't be there. I've normally made of day of it on Friday, but this year I'm thinking I might stay for Saturday as well. There are a couple of interesting docs on the Saturday sched.

Edited by Christian

Ooh. You can see Tyrannosaur and Melancholia on the same day. Won't that be fun?

I'll be there on Saturday (screening Wrestling for Jesus). If you're around stop by and say hi (or buy a ticket or 10). I've enjoyed getting to know Thom (another A&Fer) through the Wisconsin Film Fest. Making it 2 for 2 would make the trip that much better.

Ooh. You can see Tyrannosaur and Melancholia on the same day. Won't that be fun?

I have to miss the press screening for Melancholia locally, so I might check it out at the festival -- if I haven't already seen it before then. I'm not sure when it opens at D.C.-area theaters.

I'll be there on Saturday (screening Wrestling for Jesus). If you're around stop by and say hi (or buy a ticket or 10). I've enjoyed getting to know Thom (another A&Fer) through the Wisconsin Film Fest. Making it 2 for 2 would make the trip that much better.

Yeah, your doc is definitely on my radar if I stay for Saturday shows.

I've got press credentials confirmed for this event, so I should be there all four days.

Has anyone been to this event before who can speak about travel time between venues? Are each accessible from the trolley, or do you have to drive and try to find parking?

And yet, somehow, looks like I'm going to get through this and TIFF and still not manage to find a time slot to watch the Turing frakkin' Horse.

The map links on the "How to Get Around" page of the festival website don't appear to be working at the moment, but I've used those in past years to navigate.

I've always stuck mostly to the Regal cinemas on the downtown mall, although last year I branched out and saw films at the Vinegar Hill Theater (a short walk from the mall) and another at a location on the other side of campus. I'm thinking that's the Culbreth, because the fest's other main venue, the Paramount, is also on the mall (I've never seen anything in that venue).

I waited for a campus trolley to take me to the venue on the far side of campus; it took 45 minutes total, although a guy on the trolley encouraged me to hop off early and follow him on a walk toward the theater rather than to stick to the trolley route, which wound around and took longer to reach the theater than walking from the guy's drop-off point. He assured me that the walk would be quicker. Thinking I had plenty of time, I decided to ride the trolley. That was a mistake. I arrived late for my screening. My only consolation was that the director of the film (Peter Bogdonavich) spoke after the screening, and not before.

Turns out the two Friday "special events" I had planned to attend ("JFK" and "Melancholia") -- one of which is at 3 p.m. on a school day -- are sold out! I don't know why I should be surprised at this, but I am. I've never had a problem getting day-of-show tickets at this festival. But, then again, I don't know that I've ever attended a "special-event screening."

I'm still planning to attend Friday and Saturday, although I'll have to develop an alternate plan. Serves me right, I suppose.

I am going to be there Friday and Saturday. In addition to the Wrestling for Jesus screening I hope to see:

Tyrannosaur

A Better Life

The other F Word

Revenge of the Electric Car or Days Together

Anyone interested in meeting up for a meal, coffee or beer?

I am going to be there Friday and Saturday. In addition to the Wrestling for Jesus screening I hope to see:

Tyrannosaur

A Better Life

The other F Word

Revenge of the Electric Car or Days Together

Anyone interested in meeting up for a meal, coffee or beer?

Definitely, Nate, although I don't know what my schedule will be at this point. Things should firm up by Wednesday of next week.

I was able to score "JFK" tix, so I'll definitely be booked from 3-7ish (not sure how long Stone might talk beforehand or afterward, but the movie itself runs three hours plus). Melancholia is still a sellout, but I'm thinking I'll hang around the theater or box office and see if someone returns a ticket, then grab it. Better that than seeing "The People Versus Larry Flynt." I liked that movie a great deal, but the thought of listening to Flynt puff himself up in person is just too galling. Plus, that movie starts at 8:15 in the same place I see "JFK," and I need to allow myself some time to get dinner.

If I can't get into "Melancholia," I may try for the late-night "King of Devil's Island" screening, but I doubt I'll have the energy at that late hour.

Saturday's lineup will include "Wrestling for Jesus" (with Nate doing a Q&A) and "The Interrupters" (with Steve James in attendance; yay!). I'm also thinking of checking out "The Monk," which sounds potentially terrible, but I need to find something else to see earlier in the day Saturday. Anyone seen "The Monk"?

Nate and others who will be at the festival: A get-together for coffee might work out Saturday morning, before "The Monk." Or, maybe some dinner after "The Interrupters" and any post-show discussion with James. You can post here, or send me a private message.

Edited by Christian

I had a great time at the festival. A great conversation with Ken over Thai and a far too brief chat with Christian. As a filmmaker it's a great festival to attend - geographically condensed and attentive to the experience of filmmakers. Plus free food and drinks...

We had some nice coverage of Wrestling for Jesus that I consolidated here.

Till next time...

The 2012 schedule is up, and I'm looking for Friday/Saturday recommendations. A friend is interested in All the President's Men, with Woodward appearing afterward. I wasn't too excited about that choice, but the alternate films at that time don't entice me, and that About Cherry thing sounds abominable.

Hello, I Must Be Going has been playing in Northern Virginia the past couple of weeks. I didn't see it and I've heard I'm not missing much, but if anyone disagrees, let me know and I may but a ticket to see it in Charlottesville.

As for Saturday, I've seen Hyde Park on the Hudson and Sherman's March. I own a copy of the latter, although the director's attendance tempts me to see the film again and hear from McElwee.

I'm still clicking on titles, reading plot descriptions, seeing who directed each film, etc. If anyone has seen the Friday/Saturday selections in Toronto or heard about them elsewhere on the fest circuit and can provide insight, it'd be much appreciated.

EDIT: Amour and Leviathan ... on Sunday. :(

Edited by Christian