Alexandro Jodorowsky...

yukiyuki

Anyone here has any experiences with his movies???

I watched El Topo (The Mole) yesterday, it's about a bounty killer who turns into a saint or something like monk. It's like watching a movie by Sergio Leone mixed with movie by Bunuel, surreal and sometimes gory...And sure Jodorowsky knows how to make some funny moments when the main character begged for money to save some crippled persons by performing street show a la Chaplin...

And Santa Sangre already on Ebert's Great Movies list

Anyone?

I haven't, but I've always been intrigued by what I've read. I remember reading a review of The Holy Mountain that made it sound like the most bizarre, mind-blowing thing ever.

And I found this collection of links concerning his Dune adaption, which would have featured Salvador Dali as the Emperor, and designs by H.R. Giger and Mobius. Fascinating stuff...

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I've only seen El Topo, years ago while I was half-asleep (may have enhanced the experience, as those who have seen it can no doubt attest to). While not blown away by any means, the parade of ambiguous imagery did excite me. The frustration of my inability to string together a coherent meaning to any of it has faded. All I remember are small moments and images that have stayed with me.

I'd like to see it again, and I've been meaning to track down his other work (primarily Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre), but I'm glad I waited. It's been all but confirmed that Criterion is releasing a set of his work next year. I've heard as little as just El Topo and Holy Mountain, and as many as his entire library. Should be interesting....

I'd like to see it again, and I've been meaning to track down his other work (primarily Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre), but I'm glad I waited.  It's been all but confirmed that Criterion is releasing a set of his work next year.  I've heard as little as just El Topo and Holy Mountain, and as many as his entire library.  Should be interesting....

wow, really?great news

And I found this collection of links concerning his Dune adaption, which would have featured Salvador Dali as the Emperor, and designs by H.R. Giger and Mobius. Fascinating stuff...

I read on El Topo DVD feature that Dune supposed to be made by Jodorowsky untul the producer then decided to give the project to Lynch...

And Jodorowsky sure is a fan of Fellini, quoted from the DVD feature about how he hate most American Movies, "While Fellini is delicatessen, George Lucas is fast food restaurant".

• 3 weeks later...

Santa Sangre is superior to El Topo in my opinion. I haven't seen it in something like twenty years, but the images still haunt me to this day. It's essentially a horror film. If you can imagine Fellini via Dario Argento you'll be getting close.

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)

• 5 years later...

This weekend I got a chance to see The Holy Mountain and La Cravate on the Jodorowsky Box Set.

The Holy Mountain tries incredibly hard to be shocking and even offensive, and succeeds--but it was interesting to see among the deleted scenes one that was cut because it was too offensive (underage nudity). It was also about more than shock value.... especially in the last 30 minutes.

The opening 30 minutes don't really give much clue about what's to come. A war between chameleons (representing Aztecs) and toads (representing conquistadors) ends in buckets of blood. A mustachioed nun gets our hero (The Man) drunk and sets him in plaster while he's out, and when he awakes he screams in horror at all the crucified Jesuses that have been made in his likeness. Etc. etc.--there's no rhyme or reason.

Then, the journey begins. The Man finds a master, who kung fu's him into submission (and then makes him breathe the fumes of his own feces--uck). We are introduced to 7 people who represent 7 planets (Venus to Pluto). Then they begin their journey to seek immortality. Along the way, they reject the whole pantheon of gods--but, in a very interesting late twist that I'm not sure how to interpret, the master tells one of them that he should go back down the mountain, marry, and live an ordinary life. My final verdict was that there are many scenes that I think are really interesting scenes, but the movie as a whole is a bit of a scummy mess.

La Cravate is interesting! It's basically a short silent film, with a musical score and a few muted sound effects, about a head shop where people can trade in their heads for new ones. It's about 30 minutes long, and I would not have believed that it came from the same guy. There is nothing ideological about it, and nothing particularly shocking or even objectionable. (No wonder it gets less attention...)

That's just how eye roll.

We are introduced to 7 people who represent 7 planets (Venus to Pluto).

Well, this alone makes the film unwatchable. Pluto's nothing but a big old icy rock... ;)

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 1 year later...

Preview for Jodorowsky's The Dance of Reality. No English subtitles, but then imagery is what makes a Jodorowsky film, and this preview shows the old man hasn't lost his eye for the unique.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Tyler wrote:
: (link to the US trailer. It's not embedding, for some reason)

I'm guessing it's because of the timecode at the end of the URL. Take it out, and you get this:

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...