Sign in to follow this  
Cunningham

Sleater-Kinney?

Anyone heard this band? There's been alot of buzz about their latest album The Woods: a great review from Cokemachineglow, and is currently Metacritic's 5th best reviewed album of the year. Is it worthy?

I really liked this album. I have been a fan of SK for a while, and The Woods is quite a departure from their earlier stuff (of which One Beat is my favorite). It is also one of the more aggressive albums to cross my path in some time, which made it pretty refreshing, if that even makes sense! It's different, has some distortion, and some odd song structure, but I found it to be a challenging and invigorating listen.

I haven't listened to Woods, so I can't comment on it. I have enjoyed Sleater-Kinney over the years though. They are consistantly strong and great live. However, I can't distinguish their albums though with the exception of Dig Me Out merely because it was the first album of theirs that I purchased. I don't think it hurts to have at least one album (unless it's their debut, yuck.) in your collection. Unless you LOVE it, probably not worth having more than one though.

I would recomend downloading "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone" off of (I think) Call the Doctor. Great, great song.

Edited by Kyle

Absolutely badass song. I think I'm going to have to pick up some of their old records.

Edited by Joel

I'm digging it plenty. As I noted on Facebook just a minute ago, this is such a Janet Weiss album for me. Her playing is so technical and precise, yet it's also so mightily swinging. I think she's the MVP here.

Good stuff, Jeffrey. I appreciate your attentiveness to the specificity of the song, as well as the spiritual turn it takes as it nears its end. SK don't often invoke explicitly religious themes, but when they do I find myself nodding along (see Sympathy off of their album One Beat for another great example). One editing note on your piece: the drummer's first name is Janet, not Karen.

I am digging this album as well. I probably haven't gone two whole days without listening to it since it came out. I am captivated by the tight and purposeful arrangements of these songs. These ladies are going somewhere on this album, and every time I feel like I'm just trying to keep up with them.

It is a great, great record. And THANKS for the correction. I thought that I cut and pasted the names all at once from another review. Hmmmmm.