Portable Media Players

Overstreet

My reply depends upon a couple of questions. How much music do you have? How much do you want to carry around at any one time? Are you averse to changing the playlists a lot or do not mind this?

From your post, I gather that you have quite a bit of music. If you want to carry it all, or most of it, I suggest that you get the Zune 30G player. If you want to carry only 20 or so CD's go with the Sansa which holds either 2g, 4g, or 8g.

I have settled this by getting a Zune 30G, which I take on trips, etc. I have better than 50 CD's as well as a best of list of my pop-rock, and another best of which has country. The former has over 500 songs, and the latter has 300 plus.

In addition, I have a Sansa 8G, which I use when I exercise. It is about 2-1/2 by 1 inch by 3/8 inch thick and weighs a couple of ounces. It plays well, but is a litle slow loading for playlists over 50 or so songs.

The Zune is about $220.00 and the Sansa is about $120.00. So for about the cost of a good Ipod, you get the best of both worlds.

As far as the music is concerned, if you only want to carry CD's you already own, just rip them onto your computer. I would suggest that you get a good external drive to back these up. Once they are ripped onto your computer you can create any playlist you want and add or remove these to /from your player as you wish. Just make sure that you rip them as mp3 format becasue some players only play mp3 (Zune is like this.)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to carry my whole collection with me everywhere. I need classical music and film soundtracks for writing hours, and then everything else (on shuffle, preferably) for driving and walking.

My black 30G iPod doesn't have enough space. Next time, I'm getting something with much more capacity. (I don't watch any video on it. But I want plenty of space for more music.)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I do the old-fashioned thing: I carry a portable MP3 CD player, and I use CD-RWs. It's a little bit more time-consuming than loading up a hard-drive-based player, but it has the advantage of being able to play the CDs at the library and it also allows me to make mix CDs, an activity I hope I never outgrow.

P.S. Jeffrey I LOVE your new avatar. :D

That's just how eye roll.

My black 30G iPod doesn't have enough space.

Sara and I ran out of room on our 3G 40GB iPods several years ago. Now Sara is sporting a new black 160GB iPod and she carries everything she wants... although she's starting to run out of room. :D

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor