Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Batman Begins (2005)

I guess because of my common interest in Welles and Batman, my subconscious really, really wanted it to be true.

And really, it's not that far fetched, even if we know it not to be true.

Actually, the one clue that it wasn't real was the Batman sketch which look suspiciously like it could have been done by Millar's Ulitimates artist Bryan Hitch.

YES!!!!

Michael Caine to play Batman's butler

Michael Caine has joined the cast of the new Batman movie as Bruce Wayne's trusted butler Alfred.

He will star alongside Christian Bale, who has been cast in the title role for director Christopher Nolan.

The film, penned by David Goyer, is expected to start shooting next year for a 2005 release.

Caine's pretty good at mastering new accents. He did sound rather Texan in Secondhand Lions, and did fairly well with a New Englander in Cider House Rules, if I remember right.

Well, as I recall, part of the hype around Cider House Rules was that it was the first time Michael Caine had EVER faked an accent, which was a big deal considering that his natural Cockney accent was something that he wore with pride back when his career got off the ground in the 1960s (kind of like how the Beatles, at that time, never even remotely tried to hide the fact that they were working-class Liverpudlians). Kudos to Caine for faking a couple of American accents, but can he fake the sort of BRITISH accent that one associates with upper-class servants?

What happened to Michael Gough? He's still alive according to IMDB, but is he incapacitated?

My father -- who was born in or near London and whose own father was, I believe, born in Wales -- responds to the casting of Caine: "A cockney butler? Only Americans think a British butler could have a cockney accent! That's as dumb as saying Wales is a part of England!"

Peter T Chattaway's father said:

A cockney butler? Only Americans think a British butler could have a cockney accent!

In that case, an American manor home is precisely where you might expect to find a British butler with a cockney accent. wink.gif

But I'm sure Caine will use something resembling Oxonian diction. Being a Cockney, he knows better than to play a British butler with his own accent.

What happened to Michael Gough? He's still alive according to IMDB, but is he incapacitated?

The decision to go with Caine and not Gough has nothing to do with Gough's health or abilities, it has to do with the fact that Nolan and screenwriter Goyer are doing their best to completely separate their Batman film from the Tim Burton films of the 90s (and rightly so). So, despite anything posted on movies.com or other such sites, this film should not be called Batman 5 because it really is a re-imagining (or in this case taking the character back to something closer to the source than what Burton and Co. did).

In a recent interview in Wizard magazine, Goyer commented that the onlyl things that are set in stone are Nolan directing and Bale starring, and that any rumors regarding the villian or story or title should be taken as just that, rumors. Yay! Does this mean we might actually get another Joker story, with an actor who would actually suit Joker?

Oh, and I can't find it but maybe Peter can, there's some good stuff on the old board about Batman films, especially Steven's comments on how miscast the villians were in the films.

In the meantime, I'm going to again push that anyone who wants to see a good Batman film check out Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Curiously enough, I just now heard Caine on NPR discussing The Statement and his acting career, and he mentioned that his first substantial role, Lt. Bromhead in Zulu, was an aristocrat -- the director thought his aquiline profile looked aristocratic -- and he claimed that the British press were completely fooled, and that it caused something of a stir that when he was later heard in interviews. "Some of them still haven't forgiven me," he claims.

I apologize if this was linked to already, but I got winded enough just trying to find this thread (rather than start a new one to post the info) that I didn't really have the energy to check anymore.

The latest word from Nolan, Goyer, and company.

~Samuel

I knew that Batman: Intimidation stuff was bull. Just didn't sound real to me. Basically, with this film unless I hear it from Nolan or Goyer, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt.

Let's see...

Christopher Nolan as Director

David S. Goyer for screenplay

Cast:

Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman

Michael Cane as Alfred Pennyworth

Morgan Freeman as Luicius Fox

Liam Neeson as Ra Als Ghul (Sorry if I've not quite got the spelling right)

Cillian Murphy (Jim on 28 Days Later) as Scarecrow (Rumor)

Katie Holmes as the usual female character

Hopefully we get a movie closer to the comic books (the more psychological, the better) and no goofy lines with over the top fighting scenes... oh, we can hope!

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/)

Now it looks like Neeson's role is different... but guess who might be playing Ra's? (No, not King Aragorn...)

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/s...--20596,00.html

Viggo Denies 'Batman' Rumors

Mon, Feb 23, 2004, 05:02 PM PT

By Vanessa Sibbald

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - A couple months ago, rumors circulated that Viggo Mortensen might play a role in the upcoming \"Batman\" sequel, \"Batman: Intimidation.\"  

Directed by Christopher Nolan and based on a script he co-wrote with David Goyer (\"Blade\"), the fifth movie based on the DC Comics cape-wearing crime fighter re-envisions the franchise, partially basing the story on Frank Miller's popular comic book, \"Batman: Year One\" -- itself a redefinition of the Batman origin story -- and Mike Barr's \"Batman: Year Two.\"  

Christian Bale will play the lead character in the film, Bruce Wayne (AKA Batman), with Michael Caine playing his butler Alfred Pennyworth and Katie Holmes as the love interest, Rachel Dobson, assistant to Gotham's District Attorney Harvey Dent. In addition, \"28 Days Later\" star Cillian Murphy will play the villain, The Scarecrow, and trade reports announced last week that Morgan Freeman has signed on to play Wayne Enterprises' Applied Science Dept. head Lucius Fox, while Liam Neeson will play Henry Ducard, a mentor to Bruce who is also villain Ra's Al Ghul's protigi. Dennis Quaid is reportedly \"close\" to signing a deal to play Jim Gordon, the Gotham City beat cop that will one day become police commissioner, according to Cinescape, while others say \"The Last Samurai's\" Ken Watanabe is in talks to play the film's leading villain, Ra's Al Ghul.  

Mortensen's involvement came from an interview with Cain last December when the actor told SciFi Wire that Nolan was eyeing \"The Lord of the Rings\" star to play a villain in the film. Yet Mortensen himself says that he is not involved in the project.  

\"I'm not signed up to do anything at this point, but I guess there was interest from them and other people. But at the moment I'm not available because I'm involved [in doing press for 'Hidalgo'],\" he tells Zap2it.com.  

\"Batman: Intimidation\" starts filming Feb. 25 (tomorrow) in Iceland, according to Web reports, and will open in theaters in 2005.

Holy cow.

And now, Watanabe is a go!

Watanabe gets evil for Batman pic

By Borys Kit

Ken Watanabe will follow his Oscar-nominated performance in \"The Last Samurai\" by squaring off against Christian Bale in Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming untitled Batman movie. Christopher Nolan is directing the film, which will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Larry Franco.  

Watanabe will play the villainous Ra's Al Ghul, an immortal strategic mastermind who wants to bring his own brand of order to the world.  

Watanabe joins Bale, cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman; Michael Caine as Wayne's trusted butler Alfred; Katie Holmes as a childhood friend of Wayne's; Liam Neeson as Wayne's mentor Henri Ducard; and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, a former board member and sidelined employee of Wayne Enterprises.  

The project is scheduled to start production next month in London.

Watanabe made his English-language debut with Warners' \"Samurai,\" though he has been acting since the early 1980s in Japan, where he is a household name, known for playing heroic samurai roles.  

Watanabe is repped by management company ROAR.

Woo hoo!

More casting news: Gary Oldman as Jim (Commissioner) Gordan.

So now the cast is:

Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne

Michael Caine as Alfred

Katie Holmes as Rachel Dodson

Liam Neeson as Ducard

Ken Watanabe as ra's al Ghul

Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox

Cillian Murphy as Jonathan Crane

Larry Holden as D.A. Fisk.

And the title of the movie is now Batman Begins. Not quite as good as Intimidation Game.

Looking good...

Liam Neeson as Ducard

Hmmm, I would have pegged him for a great Dr. Thomas Wayne.

Gary Oldman as Jim (Commissioner) Gordan.

Wow! Weird. It will be interesting to see this one. I was kinda hoping that Morgan Freeman would play Gordan (despite the racial change), seeing as Freeman's character in Seven reminded me a lot of Gordon in Frank Millar's Batman: Year One as far as character goes.

More casting news, from The Hollywood Reporter:

Oscar nominee Tom Wilkinson and Rutger Hauer have joined the cast of Warner Bros. Pictures' "Batman Begins." Christopher Nolan is directing the latest incarnation of Warners' Caped Crusader franchise, which is being produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Larry Franco. Wilkinson plays Falcone, one of the leading crime figures in Gotham City, while Hauer portrays Earle, a business contemporary of Bruce Wayne's murdered father who has designs on the Wayne corporate empire. The actors join Christian Bale as Wayne/Batman; Michael Caine as Wayne's trusted butler, Alfred; Katie Holmes as a childhood friend of Wayne's; Liam Neeson as Wayne's mentor, Henri Ducard; Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, a former board member and sidelined employee of Wayne Enterprises; Gary Oldman as Lt. James Gordon; and Ken Watanabe as the villainous Ra's Al Ghul.

Hey, if any of you super Batman geeks (like myself) are at all interested, there's a pic of the new Batmobile at the official Batman Begins website. You can view the pics by clicking on the Bat-symbol.

I don't know, my first impression is "hmmm..." It look very Dark Knight Returns-ish to me (for anyone who hasn't read that yet, go out and get it NOW). Which seeing as the much of the other part of the film is based on Year One seems kinda strange. Personally the Batmobile was the one thing I liked the most from the Burton films. Even the one in Batman Forever was kinda cool. I also liked the ones in the animated series also. This one....I don't know. We'll see. It's interesting to see where they're going with this...

Wow. I wouldn't ever want to protest out in front of that thing. Looks more like a tank than a car -- which, come to think of it, seems to fit the whole idea of a Batmobile better anyway. But viewing any of the Batmobiles, comic or movie, always begs the question, how does one get something like this created and yet still keep their identity secret? It kinda puts the fic in fiction if you know what i mean.

I don't know, my first impression is \"hmmm...\" It look very Dark Knight Returns-ish to me (for anyone who hasn't read that yet, go out and get it NOW)

Yes, and since Miller's Daredevil was so utterly screwed up, we'll give movie-makers in general one more chance before the final comic boycott. Why don't they just skip all the hanky-panky and film The Dark Knight?! I don't get it.

I just looked at the wheels on that beast again. Mammoth.

-s.

It kinda puts the fic in fiction if you know what i mean.

Yeah, but it probably helps if you're a multi-millionaire. wink.gif

This kinda confirms that they aren't really going the Year One route.

P.S. As a Miller fan, what do you think of the news that he may co-direct Sin City with Rodriguez?