The Arts and Faith Scripture in Film Index

Intentionally bogus mis-quote:

Revelation 23 - The Prophecy (1995)

Thomas Daggett: [thumbing through ancient Bible found on the dead John Doe] Cute.

Joseph: What is it?

Thomas Daggett: Twenty third chapter of Saint John's Revelations.

Joseph: And?

Thomas Daggett: There is no twenty third chapter.

Joseph: Well, maybe this is the Teacher's Edition.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genesis 1:27,31 - The Sixth Day (2000) - quoted with chapter/verse on title cards

Title cards: God created man in His own image, and behold, it was good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Genesis 1.27, 31

Genesis 9:27 - Mississippi Burning (1988) - chapter/verse referenced, not quoted

Mrs. Pell: It's ugly. This whole thing is so ugly. Have you any idea what it's like to live with all this? People look at us and only see bigots and racists. Hatred isn't something you're born with. It gets taught. At school, they said segregation what's said in the bible... Genesis 9, Verse 27. At 7 years of age, you get told it enough times, you believe it. You believe the hatred. You live it... you breathe it. You marry it.

Genesis 24:60 - Rebecca's Daughters (1992) - quoted with (incorrect) chapter reference

Mordecai Thomas: I take as my text the book of Genesis, chapter twenty-six. "And they blessed Rebecca, and said unto her, thou art our sister. Be thou the mother of thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them". It is not revealed to us whether Abraham, Isaac and Jacob paid tolls to their enemies at the gate, but it is very sure that the gate was to them an oppression and an abomination.

Exodus 20:13 - Menace II Society (1993) - quoted with chapter and verse reference

Grandpapa: Now what I want to talk to you two about is the trouble that you've been getting into. Boys, the Lord didn't put you here to be shooting and killing each other. It's right there in the Bible, Exodus 20:13: '"Thou shall not kill.'

Psalm 99:9 - The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain (1995) - quoted with chapter and verse

Rev. Robert Jones: My text for today comes from Psalm 99, Verse 9: Exalt the Lord our God, and worship at his... holy... hill.

Proverbs 12:22 - The Client (1994) - quoted with chapter/verse reference

Roy: Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, so sayeth the Psalms!

Judge Harry Roosevelt: That's Proverbs 12:22.

Edited by Ron

Psalm 139:18 - Inosensu: K

John 3:16 - King of the Ring (1996) - verse reference, not quoted

Stone Cold Steve Austin: You sit there, and you thump your bible and say your prayers and didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your Psalms, talk about John 3:16. Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!

Proverbs 11:29 - Inherit the Wind (1960) - quoted with book reference

Matthew Harrison Brady: Remember the wisdom of Solomon in the book of Proverbs. "He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind."

Ecclesiastes 7:13 - Gattaca (1997) - title card quote w/ chapter and verse

Title Card: "Consider God's handiwork; who can straighten what He hath made crooked?" - Ecclesiastes 7:13

Ecclesiastes 11:9 - Platoon (1986) - Title card quote with book reference

Title card: Rejoice O young man in thy youth... - Ecclesiastes

Song Of Solomon 4:5 - The Homecoming: A Christmas Story (1971) - quoted with chapter/verse reference

Little Girl: Thy two breasts are like two young rows that are twins which feed among the lilies. Solomon Song Chapter 4:5.

The Journal of Religion and Film have a couple of related write-ups.

* Scripture on the Silver Screen

* Biblical Allusions, Biblical Illusions: Hollywood Blockbuster and Scripture

* http://www.unomaha.edu/jrf/Vol7No2/angels.htm' target='_blank'>

Edited by Michael Todd

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Matthew 5:29 - Deadly Blessing (1981) - quoted

Isaiah Schmidt: If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out. If thine own hand offends thee, then in God's name, cut it off!

Isaiah 53:7 - The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) - quoted

Jesus: Last night, Isaiah came to me. He had a prophecy, I saw it written. It said, "He has borne our faults; he was wounded for our transgressions, yet he opened now his mouth. Despised and rejected by all, he went forward without resisting, like a lamb led to the slaughter."

(Which openeth a whole can of Biblical worms: all those Jesus movies with quotes from the OT...)

Isaiah 53:5 - The Passion of the Christ (2004) - quoted on title card, w/ chapter reference

Title card: He was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; by His wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53; 700 B.C.

Matthew 5:39 - Guys and Dolls (1955) - chapter/verse reference

Sky Masterson: [after Sarah slaps him] Well, that makes it necessary for me to stop in again. Matthew 5:39. Don't bother looking it up, it's the bit about the other cheek.

Matthew 16:26 - Inherit the Wind (1988) - quoted

Lucy Brady: [Reading from the Bible] "For whoever shall save his life, shall lose it. But whosoever will lose his life for my sake will shall save it. For what is a man advantaged if he gain the whole world and lose himself or be cast away."

Genesis 1:1 - Left Behind (2000) - quoted

Rayford: [reading the Bible] "In the beginning..." [chuckles] It's a little late for that.

Matthew 27:46 - Naked (1993) - reference

Mark 15:34 - Naked (1993) - reference

Johnny: [while reading the Bible] F***in' hell, why *hast* thou forsaken me? Bastard.

Galatians 6:7 - Never Die Alone (2004) - reference

King David: we reap what we sow, that's what the bible says. Payback's a muthaf***a, think James Brown said that. same shit, we all know the story... or at least we pretend we do...

Okay, what's the deal here. Can't find this scripture for the life of me. Isn't it in the Bible? Followed by "Blessed be the name of the Lord"?

Now, Voyager (1942)

Dr. Jasquith: Remember what it says in the Bible, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."

Ron wrote:

: Isaiah 53:5 - The Passion of the Christ (2004) . . .

: Title card: He was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; by His

: wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53; 700 B.C.

Interestingly, the rough cut shown to churches BEFORE the film was released dated this verse to around 400 BC -- I guess someone decided a more literalist or fundamentalist date was in order before they signed off on the film for good!

: Matthew 27:46 - Naked (1993) - reference

: Mark 15:34 - Naked (1993) - reference

: Johnny: [while reading the Bible] F***in' hell, why *hast* thou forsaken me? Bastard.

Of course, Jesus was only quoting Psalm 22, there. smile.gif

: Okay, what's the deal here. Can't find this scripture for the life of me. Isn't it in the

: Bible? Followed by "Blessed be the name of the Lord"?

: Now, Voyager (1942)

: Dr. Jasquith: Remember what it says in the Bible, "The Lord giveth and the Lord

: taketh away."

I believe it's what Job says early on in his afflictions -- before he gets really miserable and waxes poetic.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Ron wrote:

: Matthew 27:46 - Naked (1993) - reference

: Mark 15:34 - Naked (1993) - reference

: Johnny: [while reading the Bible] F***in' hell, why *hast* thou forsaken me? Bastard.

Of course, Jesus was only quoting Psalm 22, there.  smile.gif

Ah yes! I guess "duplicate" entries should go under both books...

: Okay, what's the deal here. Can't find this scripture for the life of me. Isn't it in the

: Bible? Followed by "Blessed be the name of the Lord"?

: Now, Voyager (1942)

: Dr. Jasquith: Remember what it says in the Bible, "The Lord giveth and the Lord

: taketh away."

I believe it's what Job says early on in his afflictions -- before he gets really miserable and waxes poetic.

Bingo! Job 1:21