• 2 months later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exodus 5:2

The Mosquito Coast

Spellgood:

"And Pharaoh said: 'Who is the Lord that I should obey his voice and let you, Israel, go? I know not the Lord, and neither will I let Israel go!"

Fox:

"Exodus. Now get off my land."

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

• 1 month later...

DAYS OF HEAVEN

Psalm 90:4 (spoken onscreen): "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night. As soon as thou scatters them.."

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• 2 weeks later...

CAT PEOPLE (Tourneur)

(At the black panther cage)

Nobody comes to see him when they're happy. No sir. The monkey house and the aviary gets all the happy customers.

But he's beautiful.

No, he ain't beautiful. he's an evil critter, ma'am. You read your Bible. Revelation. Where the book's talking about the worst Beast of 'em all. It says, "And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard."

Like unto a leopard.

Yes ma'am. Like a leopard. But not a leopard. I guess that fits this feller.

Yes, it fits him.

21:08

I don't think anyone's mentioned Nightcrawler quoting the Lord's Prayer and Psalm 23 in X2. And there was a film released in Sweden some years back called Through a Glass Darkly.

There are tonnes of 'em in Fiddler on the Roof too:

Tevye: As the Good Book says, "Heal us, O LORD, and we shall be healed." In other words, send us the cure; we've got the sickness already.

And again:

Tevye: As Abraham said, "I am a stranger in a strange land."

Mendel: Moses said that.

Tevye: Forgive me. As King David put it, "I am slow of speech and slow of tongue."

Mendel: That was also Moses.

Tevye: For a man with a slow tongue, he talked a lot.

My name is Darth Vader. I come from the planet Vulcan.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

THE BIRDS

Drunk: 'It's the end of the world.' Thus sayeth the Lord God unto the mountains and the hills, and the rivers and the valleys. Behold I, even I shall bring a sword upon ya. And I will devastate your high places. Ezekiel, chapter six.

Waitress: Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning that they may follow strong drink.

Drunk: Isaiah, chapter five. It's the end of the world.

Mrs. Bundy: I hardly think a few birds are going to bring about the end of the world.

Melanie: These weren't a few birds.

STRANGE CARGO

23:20 "So God created man in his own image

• 4 weeks later...

THE WICKER MAN (1973)

1:24:01

Neil Howie sings "The Lord's my shepherd, I'll not want,

He makest me down to lie,

in pastures..."

The original WICKER MAN also had me fooled with this passage, which sounds like OT scripture, but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere;

"Hear ye the words of the Lord!

Awake ye heathen, and howl!

It is the Lord who hath laid waste your orchards.

It is he who hath made them bare,

because the truth is withered away from the sons of men.

Desire shall fail, and ye shall all die accursed!"

The original WICKER MAN also had me fooled with this passage, which sounds like OT scripture, but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere;

"Hear ye the words of the Lord!

Awake ye heathen, and howl!

It is the Lord who hath laid waste your orchards.

It is he who hath made them bare,

because the truth is withered away from the sons of men.

Desire shall fail, and ye shall all die accursed!"

I

Psalm 91:1-8 (I think) in Mrs. Miniver

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

BARCELONA

(19:05)

Voice Over:

I don't know whether I had found God since coming to Barcelona or was just going through a religious phase. It had all begun after the sad and guilt-ridden break up with Betty with whom I'd gotten deeply involved, including carnally despite never having really loved her. The almost irresistable attraction of physical beauty had transformed a good friendship into another horrible pre-marital situation. All this had led pretty directly to the Old Testament. (Jazz trumpet plays. Ted opens the cover of The Economist to reveal HOLY BIBLE inside) Two Old Testament books in particular (opens to THE PROVERBS, then ECCLESIASTES) included advice on romantic matters, some of it, very tough.

(Quick succession of Biblical passages shown onscreen:

3 For the lips of a strange woman drop as an huneycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil: 4 But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged swrod. 5 Her feet go dowin to death; her steps take hold on hell.

CUT TO

7 Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and departn not from the words of my mouth. 8. Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house: 9 Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel: 10 Lest strangers e filled with they wealth and thy labours be in the house of a stanger; 11 And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,

CUT TO

and rejoice with the wife of they youth. 19 Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love. 20 And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a stragne woman and embrace the bosom of

CUT TO

before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings. 22 His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins. 23 He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.)

(Ted begins dancing to "Pennsylvania 65000")

• 3 weeks later...

THE NOTORIOUS BETTIE PAGE

Revelation 21:4-6 (KJV)

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

They pray the Lord's Prayer in MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S. There are at least three liturgical sections, which would include other scripture as well. Sorry not to be more specific.

• 2 weeks later...

In Wings of Desire, in the first scene in the library, one of the young men whom the angel passes by is reading, in Hebrew, the first two verses from Genesis.

No, I don't know my Hebrew that well. ;) I saw it on the trivia page on imdb, and confirmed it on my copy of the DVD.

That's just how eye roll.

• 4 weeks later...

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

Minister: No one loves more than one who dies for friends.

That's the English subtitle translation of the German dialogue.

Sounds an awful lot like John 15:15 "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A THIEF IN THE NIGHT

Keep a sharp lookout! For you do not know when I will come, at evening, at midnight, early dawn or late daybreak. Don't let me find you sleeping!" Jesus Christ

onscreen (0:00:12)

The events spoken of in the Hebrew Christian scripture is described somewhat in the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 24, verses 36 and on. And Jesus Christ is reported to be the speaker. And he says, and I quote, "Butof that day and hour knoweth no man, not the angels in heaven, but my father only. The world will be at ease, at banquets and parties and weddings, just as it was in Noah's time before the sudden coming of the flood. People wouldn't believe what was going to happen until the flood actually arrived and took them all away. So shall my coming be. Two men will be working together in the fields: one will be taken, the other left. Two women will be going about their household tasks: one will be taken, and the other left. So be prepared, for you know not what day your lord is coming."

radio broadcast, segue into teenager reading Bible into microphone (0:01:40)

• 7 months later...

BOOK OF LIFE

The Devil: "Rejoice then you heavens, and those of you who dwell in them. But woe to the earth and the sea, for the devil has come down to you with great wrath because he knows that his time is short. Revelation 12:12. Not my favorite passage.

BOOK OF LIFE

The Devil: "Rejoice then you heavens, and those of you who dwell in them. But woe to the earth and the sea, for the devil has come down to you with great wrath because he knows that his time is short. Revelation 12:12. Not my favorite passage.

• 1 month later...

Daniel 2:30 -- Barton Fink

Barton pulls a Gideon Bible out of a drawer and opens it to that verse. He also turns to Gen. 1:1, but that shows the words he's written setting the scene on his script.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin