Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

2005 Top Ten Lists

A History of Violence is difficult because it wants to have its cake and eat it too; it flatters marginally sophisticated viewers by tantalizing less sophisticated viewers looking to feed their bloodlust, which I always find artistically/intellectually dubious.

In any case, it's nice to see Innocence on your list, Nathan. I wasn't able to draw enough out of the film for it to qualify in my year's best, but it's most assuredly a triumph of atmosphere and a potent mystery. I'd gladly watch it again.

It's also nice to see that you have Rohmer's Triple Agent (which I've added it to my list); it was never distributed in the US as far as I know, which is a shame because it's a very solid period piece with Rohmer's typical psychological insights and narrative irony. At least it comes out on DVD here in January.

At this point, I can almost guarantee that my 2005 top ten list will look almost entirely different by this time next year. One by one, the much-hyped American films are falling short of expectations, and one by one, the films celebrated at Toronto and Venice are failing to make it to Seattle in time for me to see them and review them. Sigh.

I see, thought, that Scarecrow Video does have a copy of Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow on R2 DVD. I'm wondering if my new laptop's DVD player will play all-region discs.

Anybody know of any common DVD-playing software that plays all-region? I think the player on my Toshiba is InterVideo, but I don't know if it can handle R2.

P.S. I haven't been very vocal about it because most of the people who like it are the ones I respect the most; go figure.

True of me also. I didn't read the thread of aHoV until after I had seen it, to avoid spoilers, and when I did I expected to see at least some comment which matched more or less with my (negative) view, but saw only praise. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Jeffrey wrote:

: Anybody know of any common DVD-playing software that plays all-region? I

: think the player on my Toshiba is InterVideo, but I don't know if it can handle R2.

I used DVD Decrypter to copy my R2 copy of The Family Way to my hard drive and to watch it off of that. I can't remember where I got it, but it was free, and I'm sure Google or some such engine would turn it up.

P.S. I haven't been very vocal about it because most of the people who like it are the ones I respect the most; go figure.

True of me also. I didn't read the thread of aHoV until after I had seen it, to avoid spoilers, and when I did I expected to see at least some comment which matched more or less with my (negative) view, but saw only praise. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Well of course it was full of praise. All the people who disliked it decided not to voice their opinion pinch.gif

Go, now, and make your critique (unless you don't want to). This is the Arts & Faith Conversation, not the Arts & Faith Consensus. smile.gif

Go, now, and make your critique (unless you don't want to).  This is the Arts & Faith Conversation, not the Arts & Faith Consensus. smile.gif

Yeah, how can we correct them if the don't tell us what the think?

I see, thought, that Scarecrow Video does have a copy of Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow on R2 DVD. I'm wondering if my new laptop's DVD player will play all-region discs.

I've had great luck with the free VLC, which just skips the region coding and plays beautifully.

Edited by Doug C

What kind of laptop do you have, Jeff? If it's Mac, try the free VLC...

Okay, now you're just TRYING to aggravate me. wink.gif

I realized after I wrote about the Mac that VLC runs on both platforms!

AWESOME.

Thanks, Doug.

Wow. Suddenly, the other half of Scarecrow Video will become interesting to me! They have a huge international inventory of R2 discs.

AWESOME.

Thanks, Doug.

Wow. Suddenly, the other half of Scarecrow Video will become interesting to me! They have a huge international inventory of R2 discs.

As happy as I am that you

Edited by Christian

Also, it'll play at the Northwest Film Forum in Seattle, January 13-19.

Edited by Doug C

As happy as I am that you

I just got an email from Books & Culture that made me grin. "And coming later this month: Books & Culture regulars Roy Anker and Peter Chattaway will list their top ten films of the year." Peter, you've always been hard-pressed to finish your list by Oscar time: now they want the darn thing in December!! I feel for you in your pain.

Yeah, and what with the wife in the hospital and the work load and whatnot, I've been missing a few possible contenders lately ... Shopgirl and The Squid and the Whale both came and went and I never got to see them ...

Yeah, and what with the wife in the hospital and the work load and whatnot, I've been missing a few possible contenders lately ... Shopgirl and The Squid and the Whale both came and went and I never got to see them ...

And with The Ridge switching over to first run, you probably never will!

(Well, unless you buy one of them fancy new video tape players they've got nowadays...)

Actually, to meet my deadline, maybe I should check and see if I can download pirated copies of these indie films ... there's got to be at least as much demand for them as there is for the blockbusters, right?

Pal 2 version of Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow in hand, I discover that my InterVideo media player, which came with my Toshiba laptop, WILL play it! Fantastic. This machine has a great screen. I hope to watch it tonight.

Pal 2 version of Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow in hand, I discover that my InterVideo media player, which came with my Toshiba laptop, WILL play it!  Fantastic. This machine has a great screen. I hope to watch it tonight.

Use headphones, experience bliss.

I've started tallying the Top Ten lists over here. Please feel free to add your list to this thread! And don't worry if it's complete or firm or anything yet: just post your current Top Whatever list, and update it whenever you like. I'll update the uber-list every week or two until the end of February.

If you've already posted a list on here, please update that post rather than adding a new post when you have revisions to your list - to help me with the tallying. Thanks! (Oh, and MLeary, you've put up two different posts with Top Ten lists: could you make sure and do your updates on this one? Thanks.)

This will probably shift around quite a bit...

1. Cache

2. 2046

3. Broken Flowers

4. 3-Iron

5. A History of Violence

6. Grizzly Man

7. Takeshis'

8. Yes

9. Nobody Knows

10. Downfall

My Top 10 list is due on Sunday, so I sat down for the first time today to rough out a first draft. Compared to last year, I have a really strong ten, but no single film is rising to the top. I typically go on gut instinct, but my gut's got nothin' this year.

Would any of you care to share your justifications for picking a #1? On what criteria do you choose?

I just posted my year-end lists with commentary on Long Pauses.

The Ten Best New Films I Saw in 2005 (by title)

Battle in Heaven (Carlos Reygadas, 2005)

Cache (Michael Haneke, 2005)

Un Couple parfait (Nobuhiro Suwa, 2005)

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Cristi Puiu, 2005)

Me and You and Everyone We Know (Miranda July, 2005)

Pin Boy (Ana Poliak, 2004)

Saraband (Ingmar Bergman, 2003)

Three Times (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 2005)

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (Michael Winterbottom, 2005)

The Wayward Cloud (Tsai Ming-liang, 2005)

Ron, if you're still tallying points for the big list, I've split my first place vote between Saraband, Cache, and The Death of Mr. Lazarescu. The other seven films are tied for second, with L'Enfant (the Dardennes), The Sun (Sokurov), and Something Like Happiness (Bohdan Slama) in a dead heat for third. ;)