Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Beer - holiday season varieties

I've been especially impressed this year by Ebenezer Ale. In past years, Ebenezer has seemed a bit bitter, but this year it's divine.

I'm always a fan of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, and this year's Celebration Ale is also excellent. It's a dependable standby.

Haven't tried this year's Winterhook yet, but I've lost my fondness for that one over the last few years.

Others I should sample before the season's over?

As far as 'winter' or 'seasonal' brews go, I recommend Powderhound from Big Sky Brewing and Winter Solstice from Anderson Valley. Oh, and don't forget Deschutes' Jubelale...not quite on par with the first two, but quite good.

I haven't done seasonal brews. How are they different from what you find year round from decent breweries?

M. Leary   

Has anyone had that well-advertised Pumpkin brew yet that Anheuser Busch was going to distribute by tap?

All we have over here is ale and lager. Lots of ale and lager.

Try Beer Advocate.com for a great resource on all types of beers, including user ratings of any number of seasonal ales.

Never tried a holiday ale, but I'm heading to Brussels on Monday and will definitely restock on tripels. I've heard not-too-bad comments on the AB pumpkin ale. Its certainly bound to be better than Coor's Blue Moon variety. The trick with pumpkin ales is to find one with actual pumpkin thrown into the mash, not one with pumpkin flavor added. My favs so far are Brooklyn's Post Road Pumpkin Ale and Dogfish Head's Punkin' Ale. The only thing I drank during October.

user posted image

The Chicagoland area is blessed by having the Goose Island Brewery. They have a Christmas Ale that I would always buy a couple of cases of when we lived there. We're now living in something of beer vacuum where the only things available are Budweiser, Miller, and extremely overpriced macro-imports. Sigh.

We're now living in something of beer vacuum where the only things available are Budweiser, Miller, and extremely overpriced macro-imports.  Sigh.

At least Ohio has rid itself of the silly law that prevented sales of beers with higher than 6% ABV content. There are a couple of good micros somewhat nearby, Bell's in Kalamazoo (they've got a couple of holiday and winter varieties) and Great Lakes in Cleveland. Of course, both run about $7.99/six pack. sad.gif

I'll try to track down La Chouffe, M. Unfortunately, I've only got one night in Belgium, then off to Italy. But depending on how well the Italy trip goes, I'll probably be back in Brussels in January. But these work trips are so packed with work, its always hard to really enjoy the surroundings...

Andrew   

Otter Creek is a wonderful microbrewery in Northern Vermont - I've yet to try one of their brews that was anything less than very good. Their winter seasonal, Stovepipe Porter, is a real treat.

The Chicagoland area is blessed by having the Goose Island Brewery.  They have a Christmas Ale that I would always buy a couple of cases of when we lived there.  We're now living in something of beer vacuum where the only things available are Budweiser, Miller, and extremely overpriced macro-imports.  Sigh.

tc, tc! If you've the stomach for the great state of, how does Buckeyejones put it, M!@#$%&*$, Goose Island is readily available in Detroit. Come on up and we'll have lunch if you warn me. Tiffin isn't that far from I-75 is it? Pick up some Bell's too. They have at least four flavors easy to find.

I am on the hunt. Thanks for the tip.

Brussels as in Belgium? If you get a chance to pull a glass of La Chouffe, it is great from the tap.

sad.gif I found no La Chouffe in Brussels, tap or bottled. Did buy all the available varieties of trappists I haven't had (Orval, Rochefort) and some other stuff my colleague recommended (Ciney, Delirium Tremens, St. Bernardus) from Carrefour.

user posted image

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Anders   

Up here in BC, there's the seasonal beer that someone had me taste yesterday: Phillips Longboat Double Chocolate Porter.

I can't bear it. I love beer and I love chocolate. But... pinch.gif

mrmando   
Dogfish Head's Punkin' Ale.  The only thing I drank during October.

user posted image

Wow ... that's hardcore. Try water or milk once in a while, for a little variety.
Up here in BC, there's the seasonal beer that someone had me taste yesterday: Phillips Longboat Double Chocolate Porter.

So, was it really chocolatey? I confess to liking Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

I did try the Ebenezer the other day, on Jeffrey's recommendation, and there are still 4 bottles of Pyramid Snow Cap in my fridge. Want one, JO?

How do you feel about drinking and kids? I'm seriously thinking of giving up beer in the house for the next 20 years or so until my child is raised. (This would not be a big loss. I don't drink beer at home very much

Edited by mrmando

Wow ... that's hardcore. Try water or milk once in a while, for a little variety.

smile.gif

We've a Pyramid brewery here. Snow Cap is nummers.

I also like Pete's Wicked Winter Ale--except it's wicked, so I can't say that here.

I knew someone, somewhere, would come up with a theological lesson using beer! Yay!

Edited by BBBCanada

I'm headed shortly to a beer tasting. Tonight's focus is on European beers.

Each attendee brings an assigned bottle. I was asked to try to track down one of these: antillon, Drei Fonteinen, Oud Beersel, Girardin, or Tilquin

After making three stops without success, I found Tilquin at my fourth location. I have no idea what the stuff tastes like. Tonight I'll find out.

Edited by Christian

I'm headed shortly to a beer tasting. Tonight's focus is on European beers.

I'm really curious to see how this goes, Christian. Is it broadly European? Like, everything from Trappist beers to bocks to what-have-you?

Turned out to be more narrow, focusing on Belgian beers. The organizer was juggling different assignments based on the number of attendees, and in the end he thought it best to limit the focus and give us a good overview of one specific country.

Turned out to be more narrow, focusing on Belgian beers. The organizer was juggling different assignments based on the number of attendees, and in the end he thought it best to limit the focus and give us a good overview of one specific country.

That's a really good country to focus on!