T-Bone

Overstreet

Anybody here know anything about T-Bone the rapper?

He makes an appearance in Fighting Temptations and puts on a fairly impressive bit of rap... one of the many arresting moments of music in an otherwise lousy film.

Anyway, I'm going to ask him a few questions about the film tomorrow. I'd love to hear from any of you who know about his work, who could fill me in on his background, or who might have good ideas about what to ask him.

Amusing note: At www.allmusic.com, under T-Bone's albums you wil find that the site is recommending SIMILAR albums... like:

Michael Card: Final Word

Chuck Wagon Gang: Columbia Historic Edition

Shirley Caesar: Sailin'

Bruce Carroll: Sometimes Miracles Hide

The Brave: Battle Cries

Rev. Julius Cheeks: Somebody Left on That Morning Train

Carman: Addicted to Jesus

Steve Camp: Consider the Cost

Andrae Crouch: His Best

Daniel Amos (DA): Horrendous Disc

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Ask him how he feels to have his music compared to Carman's Addicted to Jesus.

I'm not expert on his music, but what I've heard I don't like. He tends to beat his listeners to death with the Gospel message, and I'm not a rap fan to begin with, so T-Bone's music obviously doesn't do much for me. Sorry I can't give you more...

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I have to say I'm not a fan either. I don't enjoy rap anyway, but I reviewed a 3-disc set of T-Bone albums and almost went insane by the time I got to disc 3. He really likes to use the violent imagery of gangsta rap (machine guns, blowin' heads off, blah blah blah) but justifies it by making DEMONS, rather than gangstas or rival gangs, his victims. He talks about using the weapons of the world to fight spiritual powers and it comes off sounding really lame. And of course, rather than getting high on blunts or chronic, he gets "high" on the Spirit. Ugh. It gets old really fast.

Well, it may not be great art, but speaking with him today it became clear that he's much more about ministry than art. His goal is to talk to kids and meet them where they are, speaking their language, getting their attention, and communicating Christ to them. I can't fault that... in fact, that's a rare and wonderful gift.

But if he wants his work to receive critical analysis as art, I hope he can accept criticism without interpreting it as "negativism" or "judgmentalism."

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I remember seeing him on some "rap-off" contest on MTV or BET or VH1 awhile back. If I remember correctly he finished in the top three of the contestents. I have his second album (1997-ish) on cassette tape around somewhere.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth