Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Match Point

The buzz is building for Woody Allen's new comedy Match Point, with Johnathan Rhys-Meyers and Scarlett Johansson.

It's his first comedy set in London, and his first of two new films starring Scarlett.

Did any of our resident festival-goers catch this one in Toronto?

To my astonishment, I just received a "For Your Consideration" screener copy, so I'm looking forward to reporting on this one soon.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

As far as my opinion of the film, I'll say only this before opening day: I'd rather see this again than Melinda and Melinda.

Match Point is, as reported, a major shift for Woody Allen in many ways: visual style, locale, cast, accents...

And yet, it belongs with Crimes and Misdemeanors (and I'm sure other Allen films, though none come to mind at the moment) under the heading "Getting Away With It."

That is to say, it's about a character who lives as if there is no God watching, who endeavors merely to get what he wants and cover his tracks.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers plays Chris, a former tennis player and a scoundrel who claims he really is in love with a sweet, admiring, painfully gullible woman (Emily "Dear Frankie" Mortimer), a woman who just so happens to come from a fabulously rich family. (Bryan "I was cast as the voice of Aslan, and then they fired me" Cox plays her wealthy father.) Thus, the more he is drawn into her family and lifestyle, the more he becomes accustomed to the luxury.

But then he meets a sexy American actress (Scarlett Jo-you-know-who) who charms the pants off him quite literally, and now he's torn between the reckless abandon of lust and the security (financial and otherwise) of "true love"... or at least what he considers to be true love.

What's a man in his situation, burning with lust, tormented by guilt, to do?

Well, I think OUR answer will be different than the answers considered by most viewers. I'm looking forward to your thoughts when you see the film. I'll reserve my "review" comments until opening day.

Recommendation: Re-visit Crimes and Misdemeanors this week to get ready for it.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

And since Alan gave himself the last word in the other Match Point thread before closing it, I can only reply to it here:

Why should I be embarrassed? When the board's search function can't manage to find a topic called Match Point, what am I to do but start another thread? In the words of Jeff Bridges from The Fisher King, "ForGIIIIIIIVE... ME!!!!"

eek7.gif

This happens to me all the time. The search function works one minute and then craps out the next. I don't get it.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

And since Alan gave himself the last word in the other Match Point thread before closing it, I can only reply to it here:

Why should I be embarrassed? When the board's search function can't manage to find a topic called Match Point, what am I to do but start another thread? In the words of Jeff Bridges from The Fisher King, "ForGIIIIIIIVE... ME!!!!" 

eek7.gif

This happens to me all the time. The search function works one minute and then craps out the next. I don't get it.

I suppose you just messed up in your search. I think that you should be embarrassed because you began the original thread yourself. smile.gif

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

Again, I knew it existed. I remembered starting it. I even remembered the subheading. I just couldn't find it. Sheesh. You people must embarrass easy.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Hmmm, the search function worked fine for me. FWIW, if the thread I'm looking for is only four days old (and thus on the first page or two of recent threads) and nothing else seems to work, I just use my computer's "Find in this Page" function (control-F).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Oh, gosh, thanks Dan! And I'm sorry about that cold sore. That looks painful.

Almost as painful as Solishu's blog, currently including confessions of his love for Anne of Green Gables, and appearances of words like "nosegay." (Did I mention that the word "bastard" appears on his user profile?)

box2.gif

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

I'm just waiting for someone to score the ultimate zinger, then I can interject with "Game. Match Point!" tongue.gif

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

wacko.gif

edit: I probably owe it to myself to explain that I admit to having SEEN Anne of Green Gables on my website, but not to any love for the film.

Edited by solishu

Harry Forbes doesn't just love Brokeback Mountain.

He also loves the amoral and deeply troubling Match Point.

What the heck is going on at the U.S. Council of Catholic Bishops?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Harry Forbes doesn't just love Brokeback Mountain.

He also loves the amoral and deeply troubling Match Point.

What the heck is going on at the U.S. Council of Catholic Bishops?

Interesting. You say it's immoral, yet Forbes says, "This outlook does not, however, preclude the story being told with a strong moral perspective."

I am more and more intrigued the more I read about this movie.

I need to sort through my thinking on this film, which I saw last night and haven

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Assuming the DGA keeps the momentum going with a nomination for Allen later today...

SNUBBED.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Was Crimes and Misdemeanors really about "getting away with it"? I haven't seen it in probably six years, but I recall it being used in one of my college classes as a powerful filmic example of sin and consequences. I'll have to put it on my Netflix queue to view again.

There is a remarkable difference between Match Point and Crimes and Misdemeanors. I do encourage you to see the new film, if you're a Woody Allen fan, so we can discuss just how different... and yet how strangely similar... it is to C&M. If the films reflect in any way Woody Allen's progress on a journey of wrestling with God and the reality of sin, the results are not encouraging. But they are fascinating.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

There is a remarkable difference between Match Point and Crimes and Misdemeanors. I do encourage you to see the new film, if you're a Woody Allen fan, so we can discuss just how different... and yet how strangely similar... it is to C&M. If the films reflect in any way Woody Allen's progress on a journey of wrestling with God and the reality of sin, the results are not encouraging. But they are fascinating.

Ditto on all of this. Allen is tracking in the same direction as his great mentor, Ingmar Bergman. If you admired or appreciated Bergman's atheistic "faith trilogy," despite convictions that run in the other direction, then you'll admire or appreciate Match Point. If you're disturbed by films that exhibit, and possibly endorse, an atheistic worldview, Match Point is not for you.