Quick!

Josh Hurst

I wasn't in the fourth row, but I had nice seats. You're in for a treat.

Now is that a fourth row SEAT? Because that doesn't really mean you're in the fourth row from the front. There is usually a big "pit"... an area for standing folks to crowd up to the stage, and then a section of seats (number 1 through whatever) from the back of that.

Of course, this would probably not be the time or place to once again gloat over my front-row-standing-against-the-heartwalk Elevation 2001 tickets... 8)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Well, you've got me beat -- I've got 6th row seats for an upcoming Bruce Cockburn concert.

Reading David Dark's assessment of Radiohead has me intrigued -- is there a particular CD of theirs that would be a particularly good introduction or sample?

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Yep, there was this quote from Thom Yorke that's terrific: "If there is a Devil at work, then he rests in institutions and not in individuals. Because the beauty of institutions is that any individual can abdicate responsibility. The assumption that we're all utterly powerless, that's the Devil at work."

Doesn't that capture the apathy and pessimism of our age? It resonates very strongly with what I've read lately in No Logo and Fast Food Nation, and it also has a C.S. Lewis flavor to it, as in this great line from the intro of The Screwtape Letters: "The greatest evil is not now done in those sordid 'dens of crime' that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in concentration camps and labour camps. In those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed, and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their voice."

(I can't recall if I've cited this line here before, so please forgive me if I have; it's a favorite of mine smile.gif )

Thanks for the info, Josh -- 'Kid A' sounded especially interesting, as described by Dark; I may start there.

- Akira Kurosawa

Andrew wrote:

: Yep, there was this quote from Thom Yorke that's terrific: "If there is a

: Devil at work, then he rests in institutions and not in individuals. Because

: the beauty of institutions is that any individual can abdicate responsibility.

: The assumption that we're all utterly powerless, that's the Devil at work."

That is such an ironic statement. It seems to me that the implication that we're all utterly innocent ("If there is a Devil at work, then he rests ... not in individuals"), because the real evil exists in nameless and faceless 'institutions', is ALSO the Devil at work.

Abdicating responsibility, indeed.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I think Yorke's quote is a useful tonic for those who deny the presence of institutional evil -- as seems to be the case with many evangelicals, who complain of Satan causing their car to break down or putting a new pimple on their face, but don't see the devil's work in racism and various forms of exploitation. I'm sorry it failed to meet your rigorous standards, Peter.

Lewis' quote is a helpful balancer, though, since he speaks of the greatest evil rather than the sole evil.

- Akira Kurosawa

All of this discussion is helpful to someone who is just now getting her feet wet with Radiohead (yeah, late again...I know). I must say, I am very impressed by OK Computer. Having a little harder time getting into Hail to the Thief, though, but I'm working on it.

Oh, and congrats, Josh, on those primo tickets!

Diane

I think Radiohead's albums are best experienced in order (minus Pablo Honey, which showed them feeling around trying to find their "voice.")

So do this:

The Bends (a nice bridge from U2-oriented rock towards the edgier, more punk-flavored Radiohead tone... still verse-chorus style songs.)

OK Computer (the launch into Radiohead's own region of space... gorgeous melodies, still some semblance of verse-chorus conventions, but full of noises and sounds and sudden surges into territories you've never experienced before. Beautifully sad stuff.)

Kid A (the prophecy begins: a view from afar of the world on fire. the stuff of nightmares.)

Amnesiac (Like flying into the city in Blade Runner's opening scene, we are carried down into the inferno, to get into the fragmented, government-persecuted, computer-rigged heads of the tormented populace. It's leaner, it's meaner, and it completes what began in Kid A.)

I Might Be Wrong (absolute proof that they can duplicate their distinct sound and energy live)

Hail to the Thief (a fusion of all they've developed, a lament for the Bush-era world from the point of view of a defensive, heartbroken father)

What could possibly be next?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.