Sign in to follow this  

Winter Olympic Sports

Which is your favorite olympic sport?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like free-style skiing and the bobsled for the thrills and enertainment value, but I had to go with speed skating for the sheer endurance, finesse, prowess, precision and skill of the skaters involved.

Who knew that zipping repeatedly around an oval could be so engaging ('cuz NASCAR sure ain't).

I LOVE Olympic hockey! But overall I love the winter olympics much more than the summer ones, period. It's hard to pick one, but hockey is very important to me.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I LOVE Olympic hockey! But overall I love the winter olympics much more than the summer ones, period. It's hard to pick one, but hockey is very important to me.

Once again I thank God that I live in a border town. If I must choose, I'll take the Summer Games. I have competed in some of those sports in the past and the only thing I have going for me in Winter Games is very high tolerance for cold weather. CBC does unparralleled coverage of most events (Luge and Biathalon being my faves) except Curling. Their coverage of this borders on the fetishistic, but that is a small price to pay.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Now see, relegating Chess to "board game" status is just wrong. Do they have widespread professional Mousetrap tournaments? Have you ever seen a movie structured around Parcheesi? I think not.

By the way... I don't even play Chess.

Given how poorly the St. Louis Blues are doing this season, I'm forward to seeing the Olympic hockey.

I think Skeleton would be the most insane sport to do. Doing a luge, only riding face first on your sled, yikes! SHOCKED.gif

I'm looking forward to watching Canada win another gold medal in hockey, but I also enjoy playing it myself.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I'm looking forward to watching Canada win another gold medal in hockey, but I also enjoy playing it myself.

I envy you. Never learned to skate. As to Canada winning, has anyone handicapped the strength of the various national teams? I haven't seen much on this.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

What, no votes for the biathalon? Ski a bit, shoot a gun. Surely that is more entertaining than watching nords push a big stone across ice.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Diplomacy is the curling of board games. And that makes me sad, because it's the best board game ever made. cry.gif

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

What, no votes for the biathalon?  Ski a bit, shoot a gun.  Surely that is more entertaining than watching nords push a big stone across ice.

If that is what you see, you are watching the wrong thing. You want to watch the guys with brooms. Imagine a game of shuffleboard in which you can control the position of the debree on the deck surface....

Other than that, yeah Biathalon is a good event. Not as much fun as luge or Skeleton though.

As much as I love figure skating, I'm not that excited this go-round. So my vote goes to short track.

Too bad I can't vote again, but snowboard cross is now my favorite Olympic sport.

I've always been partial to ski jumping myself. Three words... Eddie The Eagle.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook