We

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Not after your third glass of wine, you wouldn't. wink.gif

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 3 weeks later...

The Park West Gallery Web site if functioning again, so I can now provide a link to the painting we purchased.

Here it is.

The Jablonsky image, the one my wife refers to as "the troll," isn't available, but another image that's nearly identical is here. Ours has the same figure, but it's called "Cezanne and Fruit Bowl," and it pictures the "troll" with a bowl containing an orange. I'm not a Cezanne partisan -- I just liked the image. I like the O'Keefe image too, and, had my wife not so despised the Cezanne tribute, I might've plunked down to get the O'Keefe item as a companion piece.

I'm also taken with Jablonsky's Garden of Eden image, here. Park West e-mailed me a similar image with some of the same motifs, and I much prefer the second, but it's not online.

Art auctions and sales turn up in odd places. In my first undergraduate year the college had someone come in and sell prints in the student center, and I shelled out the (to me) vast sum of $25. for a print which happened to be old; in this case it was by someone named Jode, who worked in Antwerp up to the 1580s. It is a print illustrating the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. It isn't the best example in the world, but it is a decent and old print. In a sale when I was at graduate school I paid arouind $10. for two (fake) Rembrandt landscapes; they are genuine Smiths of Chichester, circa 1770, imitating quite rare and expensive landscapes, and they are respectable prints in their own right. It's a question of looking around, and buying what you like.

There's too much apathy in the world; but, then, who cares?

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd bump this thread in light of Park West's [urlhttp://sales.parkwestgallery.com/results/seasonal-sale]latest sale. I'm looking over the images, seeing several that intrigued me back when I first purchased artwork and which, in the intervening years, have grown into mini-obsessions. Durer, Chagall, maybe even another Chen just for the heck of it.

We're getting some home renovations done, and I've lit on the idea that we need fresh art for the newly opened up room being constructed. My wife cuts me off: "We have to hang our current artwork there. We don't have any wall space left where it used to be!"

Oh, she's so smart. Ruins everything! :) Plus, she says we "have no money."

I gotta get me some more of that stuff.