Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chrismo

Gilmore Girls

15 posts in this topic

My lovely wife got me hooked on Gilmore Girls a few seasons ago. Recently two bad things have occurred. First, I've see all the episodes so far this season. Second, we got a TiVo on Thanksgiving.

Courtesy of the ABC "I'm glad I'm not related" Family channel and the little men inside my TiVo box, I watched the pilot the other night and just finished half of episode 1.4.

Anyone out there watch this show? What's happened to it? Please give the writers back their caffeine, don't let Mr. Amy direct anything again, kill the dog ... whatever it takes. I'm afraid this show is going to get Friends-itis.

I could've sworn I searched the forums first -- but it was around midnight. Thx for the redirect.

Chrismo... Denton, huh? Do you/did you go to UNT? I graduated from there with an RTVF degree. Fond memories.

The complete series is 80% off today at Amazon.

Would it be too evil a thing to get a single set for niece and sister, who love this series?  The niece just started college a couple hundred miles away from mom, so the logistics of who gets to watch first could be fun for a sinister uncle/brother.

Or you could just get them a Netflix subscription to share.

The complete series is 80% off today at Amazon.

Hmph.  I think I paid around $100 for it when we bought it for my oldest daughter for her fifteenth birthday in '12.  This past summer she rewatched it with her sister, who was approaching fifteen.  I think we got our money's worth.

Anyone catch the revival on Netflix yet?  We're 3 episodes in, with 1 to go.  I still haven't seen seasons 6 or 7, so read up on them to have a little more context.

So far, so good (though the stupid musical in ep 3 didn't need to be more than 3 minutes long to show me it was a stupid musical.  20 minutes--ugh.).

I think episodes 1 and 2 are strong. 3 and 4 are much weaker (there's some atrocious padding there), but still have their moments.

The very ending is pretty strong. It functions better here than it would have functioned at the end of season 7, as was originally intended.

There will probably be more of this show in the future, but I've had enough.

I find it fascinating to see just how much the show allows Rory and Lorelai and Emily to spiral out of control and get mired into self-defensive ruts of their own making.  I find a lot to admire in that, with such a hyped build up that could have just turned into a greatest hits or fan service, the Palladinos seem genuinely willing to let their characters suffer the consequences of their own actions, to squander the talents and graces given to them, and to face the full force of their own foibles.  It was a show that I guess always was able to allow these characters to have real warts, but Lorelai almost always comes across as a bit unbreakable and self-reliant.  Now we see that facade crumble and crack.  I like that about these first three episodes.  I also really like the destabilizing impact of Richard's death.  So far, there's no real life lessons that get wrapped up in tidy bows.  There's heartbreak, and a bit a healing, and then grief punctures through the scar to warp the centers of these characters and send them spinning off into new waves of difficulties.  But that musical...oh, boy.

On 11/29/2016 at 2:40 PM, Ryan H. said:

I think episodes 1 and 2 are strong. 3 and 4 are much weaker (there's some atrocious padding there), but still have their moments.

The very ending is pretty strong. It functions better here than it would have functioned at the end of season 7, as was originally intended.

I agree that 3 had the atrocious padding.  I'm not sure I'd agree on 4, at least as far as "atrocious" is concerned.  The "Wild" scenes could have been trimmed/consolidated, and Emily's new docent gig was surely a little padded, but I'm not jiving with the complaints of the Life and Death Brigade I've read elsewhere.  I think a lot of the well-done tension in the show, encapsulated here, is Rory's embrace of the wealth and privilege that being a Gilmore entails vs. Lorelai's rejection of it on anything other than her terms.  They both leverage that wealth, but in very different ways (some of which, I'm sure, is so that Sherman-Palladino can indulge her extravagant production designs.)  I thought 4 was as strong as anything else in the revival, though i think this would have been a stronger show cut as 8 45 minute episodes instead of 4 90 minute ones.

Also, I realize the second post in this thread is an Ahem to the OTHER gilmore girls thread.  However, since both threads have been abandoned for years, I don't feel too bad.  Plus Chrismo is correct--the other one didn't show up first in the search.  So, :P.

Buckeye Jones wrote:
: However, since both threads have been abandoned for years, I don't feel too bad.  

But you should. There's like a hundred posts in that other thread, versus like six in this one.

If only there was a way to repost Ryan's and my contributions to that other thread...