Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

How Long is Your Netflix Queue?

How Many DVDs Are in Your Netflix Queue?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The nice thing about it is I have ll those movies that dear friends have told me to watch, and I keep telling them, it's on my queue. Of course, I keep mobing things up past the film they're asking about.

The probelm is adding friends to your list. They always seem to watch something that looks interesting.

My Queue

Priority Movie Title Star Rating MPAA Genre Availability

Coffee and Cigarettes

R Independent Now

Millions

PG Drama Now

The Chorus

PG-13 Foreign Now

Angels in America: Disc 1

NR Drama Now

Angels in America: Disc 2 NR Drama Now

Born Into Brothels

R Documentary Now

The Passion of Joan of Arc

UR Classics Now

The Sacrifice / Andrei Tarkovsky

PG Foreign Now

The Killers (1946): Disc 1

UR Classics Now

Anatomy of a Murder

UR Classics Now

Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex

So Dan:

My question is, if you have over 100 items in your queue and you move stuff up all the time, isn't adding something to the end of your list pretty much an admission that you are never going to watch it?  sad.gif

Peace.

Ken

Tis a good question. I'll add it to a list of them I'm planning to answer sometime before I die.

Actually, Ken

I find that the long list tends to be a good measure for HOW badly I want to see something. I comb thru occasionally and remove those I put on there as a whim.

I just got rid of 14 earlier today!

I generally use the list as my steady flow of "important, must see" films. And then toss on my "movies of the moment" (that my wife wants to see) so she doesn't insist she take over the queue.

And when I haven't been on netflix's website in a while, I get three movies in the mail that someone once told me were great. And you know what... they usually are.

I'm in the 100+ category, though that has not always been my system. My thinking is that I put titles in there I am interested in that generally fall into a few categories:

- Directors I'd like to explore (Leigh, Kiarostami, Bresson, Hitchcock, Chaplin, Keaton, Kieslowski, Tarr, etc.)

- A & F list

- They Shoot Horses top 1000 (I am only trying to see the top 100 for now)

- The odd recommendation here (which includes contemporary films that are being released now)

- What my wife tells me to get (this should probbly be at the top)

I find that using these few categories really helps me to keep the list at a managable level.

So, in answer to your question, Ken, of course it gets shorter! Last month my (active) queue was up over 150. Now it sits at 146. I am well on my way to completion!

Edited by John

I share the Netflix account with my husband (opus), so it doesn't move as quickly as I'd like sometimes.

Right now my half of the queue looks like the TCM, with a full third of my 36 titles in the Classics category. I guess I'm on a kick.

offtopic.gif

I just hit a big lag. We're one the one at a time level at the moment, because we have plenty of tv to watch. Come summer, we'll expand again. But my current film is Lamumba which had to ship from back east, so it took all week to get here. I put it in the player tonight, and the disc was cracked. So now I have to wait for a replacement. bang.gif

OK, back to queues.

Just as offtopic.gif:

Has anyone else ever noticed that the word "queue" has an incredibly high vowel-to-consonant ratio? Perhaps even the highest in the English language! (Excluding "I" and "A', of course. icon_thinking.gif )

::offtopic::

I just hit a big lag. We're one the one at a time level at the moment, because we have plenty of tv to watch. Come summer, we'll expand again. But my current film is Lamumba which had to ship from back east, so it took all week to get here. I put it in the player tonight, and the disc was cracked. So now I have to wait for a replacement. ::bang::

OK, back to queues.

Oh man! Lumumba is near the top of my list, and they'd better not send me the same cracked disc you got, or I'm going to be equally ::bang::

My queue just got a lot shorter because I eliminated seasons 1 and 2 of 24 after discovering that the Season 1 disc 2 was cracked, and decided that I didn't want to watch Jack Bauer's

wife and daughter be tortured for 20 more hours

anyway. TV series can take up a lot of space; sometimes they're worth it, though.

This is not meant to be a post about damaged discs, though. Actually haven't had much trouble with them.

Just as ::offtopic:::

Has anyone else ever noticed that the word "queue" has an incredibly high vowel-to-consonant ratio? Perhaps even the highest in the English language! (Excluding "I" and "A', of course. ::thinking:: )

Hm. 80 percent. Not bad, but not as good as

Edited by mrmando

Just as ::offtopic:::

Has anyone else ever noticed that the word "queue" has an incredibly high vowel-to-consonant ratio? Perhaps even the highest in the English language! (Excluding "I" and "A', of course. ::thinking:: )

Hm. 80 percent. Not bad, but not as good as

I know your are talking Netflix and this is a Netflix poll but I do not have a netflix queue. However, when I had a blockbuster online setup my list got so long it was overwhelming. Plus to make it worth my while I felt way too much pressure to watch two to three movies a week. I hate having a movie waiting for me to watch because it become another thing I have to get to.

I canceled my membership 3 months later.

I dunno. In the past few months, it seems like more and more movies are on the short or long or very long waiting list. It is starting to bug me enough to cancel my membership. It is kinda sad that 40-yr old virgin has been on the top of my queue for over a month and it is still on "long waiting list" status. ARGH!

I dunno. In the past few months, it seems like more and more movies are on the short or long or very long waiting list. It is starting to bug me enough to cancel my membership. It is kinda sad that 40-yr old virgin has been on the top of my queue for over a month and it is still on "long waiting list" status. ARGH!

Ditto!!! 40-Year Old Virgin has been at the top of my Queue for nearly two months. So have a few others. I got so irritated last week I emailed their service dept. several times. Their response was the standard issue policy letter...i.e. they dont guarantee the availability of titles blah, blah... I've subscribed to netflix for nearly a year and things have only started to go south with their service in the last two or three months. Thinking about Blockbuster

Not to shill for Blockbuster... OK, I'm gonna. Whatever... As a part of their online rental plan, Blockbuster does give coupons each month for 2 free movies rented at the ol' brick & mortar. This covers even New Releases. Thanks to those, my wife and I watched 40-year Old Virgin the first week it hit video.

They recently offered us a change to coupons for 4 free movies a month (doled out and used one week at a time), but the monthly price would have jumped from our current $14.99 to -I think- $17.99. This might be a good deal for some of you who want to have access to obscure titles online, but be able to get the new releases too.

Actually, the 2 free that we have enjoyed have helped us with that ourselves. Either way, I think any Blockbuster Online customer still has access to at least the standard 2 monthly coupons.

I have recently suspected that Netflix puts customers in categories based upon their turnaround time, address or who knows what.

As i stated before, throughout 2005 my service with Netflix was stellar. I never waited for titles, ever. Then in December, during the madness of the holiday rush, I inadvertedly held a new release title for approx. 3 weeks before returning it (the first time that had ever happened-- I typically watch DVD's the same day I receive them and on rare ocassions with kids movies, will keep them a couple days). The dramatic decline in service began immediately after this, leading me to believe that the company maintains some sort of customer sh*tlist!

Thanks for the info SZPT. Blockbuster here I come!

I have recently suspected that Netflix puts customers in categories based upon their turnaround time, address or who knows what.

As i stated before, throughout 2005 my service with Netflix was stellar. I never waited for titles, ever. Then in December, during the madness of the holiday rush, I inadvertedly held a new release title for approx. 3 weeks before returning it (the first time that had ever happened-- I typically watch DVD's the same day I receive them and on rare ocassions with kids movies, will keep them a couple days). The dramatic decline in service began immediately after this, leading me to believe that the company maintains some sort of customer sh*tlist!

Netflix sends frequent renters to the back of line: Policy designed to reduce number of films rented for monthly fee

My apologies if this has been posted already...

Edited by TexasSara

TS- thank you for posting the link! Sweet vindication... I was starting to feel silly for suspecting such a thing, now i feel silly for feeling silly. I have emailed Netflix three times in the month of January regarding this problem. Here's their final comment on the matter, dated Jan. 31, 2006:

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding ******* listed as "Very Long Wait". The wait for a movie listed as "Very

Long Wait" is generally less than 4 months, but could be longer, ( <_< ) for example if

the movie is out of print or we are otherwise unable to buy more copies. Since

your movie has exceeded that timeframe, I'll look further into this for you.

Please remember we are unable to guarantee availability. We appreciate your

patience and understanding.

Something undeniably rank is going on at netflix...MY ENTIRE QUEUE reads "long/short wait" right now. Mars Daybreak recently took TEN DAYS to reach my house from the time the site said it had already shipped!!! 8O

'Throttling' Angers Netflix Heavy Renters

Manuel Villanueva realizes he has been getting a pretty good deal since he signed up for Netflix Inc.'s online DVD rental service 2 1/2 years ago, but he still feels shortchanged. That's because the $17.99 monthly fee that he pays to rent up to three DVDs at a time would amount to an even bigger bargain if the company didn't penalize him for returning his movies so quickly.

Netflix typically sends about 13 movies per month to Villanueva's home in Warren, Mich. down from the 18 to 22 DVDs he once received before the company's automated system identified him as a heavy renter and began delaying his shipments to protect its profits.

The same Netflix formula also shoves Villanueva to the back of the line for the most-wanted DVDs, so the service can send those popular flicks to new subscribers and infrequent renters.

The little-known practice, called "throttling" by critics, means Netflix customers who pay the same price for the same service are often treated differently, depending on their rental patterns. . . .

Associated Press, February 10

Thou art officially Ahemed, PC.

Well sorta... That's the same AP story TS linked.