Sign in to follow this  
mrmando

"Non-Denominational Holiday Tree" poll

How would you respond to the following memo?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This, alack, is a real e-mail I just received. Your thoughts?

Dear Staff:

To brighten the office, we would like to put up a non-denominational winter tree in the ______ area.  We would like to do this with the support of staff, so if you are offended by this tree, we will post an envelope marked,

Edited by mrmando

One of my co-workers reminded us that the SCOTUS [!] considers the Christmas tree a "secular symbol." Here's what he sent round:

County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, 492 US 573 (1989)

In this 1989 decision (which includes the companion case City of Pittsburgh v. American Civil Liberties Union) the Supreme Court was faced with the issue of whether a government sponsored Christmas scene was in violation of the Establishment Clause of the Constitution.  The Court held that a solitary cr

Did John Roberts' confirmation hearing include any attempt to ascertain his singing ability?

I'll bet he's an improvement though. My sense of Rehnquist was of a lousy, but enthusiastic singer.

What frustrates me is all the private business using the GOVERNMENT standard for their decorations. Unlike the government, private organizations do not have the walk the "separation" line. They *may* have to walk the line of not creating a hostile workplace, but that's a much, much higher line that would involve negative displays.

Self censorship. My store is in a jewish neighborhood. Every year, we get "distributions" (ie, loads of product we don't order, but "they" know we need). Cute St. Nick mugs and dishes are one thing, but we mark the Christmas cards off 50% almost as soon as they come in the door and we still dump them after the sales window.

Ironically, some of the more longstanding customers who are jewish have taken to wishing those of us they like best a Merry Christmas in the last year or two. It was quite a surprise last year.

One of our aims at the Student Union is to represent the student population that forms our membership. Rather than randomly putting up decorations for the many festivals we encourage the many student societies to work with us in choosing how they wish to celebrate and facilitate that. It's a much more inclusive approach, rather than the 'don't wanna get sued pc brigade' flimsy tactics i've seen on display in other organisations. It's a sad shame that integration in the workplace generally translates as a few decorations up for a week each year.

This doesn't exactly fit in this thread, but it's close. One of my favorite bloggers who happens to be Jewish, the Bull Moose, has this to say about the fuss relating to the so-called war on Christmas.

The point that the Moose is making is that the beef that the right has over the "War Against Christmas" (or the War Against Chanukah) is not primarily with secularism, but rather with consumerism. The problem is not the ACLU, but rather capitalism.

In so many areas of the culture, religion and cultural values are not being debased by crazy liberals, but by craven capitalists. It is ironic that some righties are throwing a conniption fit about stores that display happy holiday signs instead of Christmas displays - they overlook, of course, the commercial exploitation of the religious theme. Genuine social conservatives cannot worship at the altar of the free market.

The real blaspheme this Christmas season is the Republican congressional effort to slash programs for the poor and vulnerable. Unfortunately, the religious right is missing in action in this crusade to get right with Jesus.