In Her Shoes

Broken Flowers

Match Point

Pride and Prejudice

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

The Fastest Indian in the World

Madagascar

Woo-hoo! (except for that last one... and, I suspect, the second-to-last one.)

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

My violin cost me $400 at auction (plus the auctioneer's fee). It's worth about 10 times that much.

[deja vu]Haven't we discussed this before?[/deja vu]

I pretty much refuse to buy CDs new. I prefer to prowl the cutout bins or eBay. A 2-disc Stuff Smith box set from England for $12? Sign me up! John Austin's fabulously rare/out-of-print If I Was a Latin King for $4? Don't mind if I do! Complete my Martin Hayes collection with Under the Moon for 99 cents? How could I resist?

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I receive about 12 - 15 CDs for free in my mailbox every week.  You'd think it would be the ultimate great deal.  Until you tried listening to them.

I know what you mean. My desks at work and home are littered with CDs that would probably get more use as coasters.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Years ago, by employing a 0.75 coupon, combining it with a "triple coupon" tag, on an item that was already on sale for that week, it worked out that I actually got paid 0.20 to purchase a 10.5 oz box of Capt'n Crunch.

It's the little things in life that you remember...

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

• 4 weeks later...

Not to brag too much, but while I was studying in England I got a "reading copy" of Fellowship of the Ring, which happened to be a first printing (the one with the publication date on the recto of the title page, not just the printings list on the verso) for a fiver, which was worth about $5.50 at the time. Not too shabby, perhaps.

There's too much apathy in the world; but, then, who cares?

Last year during a financial crisis, i had to liquidate most of my guitar gear, including my beloved vintage Rickenbacker archtop. During my brief guitar-less interim, I became obssessed with mid to late 1970's Ibanez hollowbody guitars (known as their "law-suit"- era when Gibson USA attempted to get them to stop producing knock-offs... which were, incidently, BETTER quality and craftsmanship than the Gibsons)

Many of these guitars are collectors pieces now and the price has accordingly been driven WAY up, especially on the more rare models. I located one such beauty in october, for dirt CHEAP. Owned by a man who clearly did not know what he had.

Here's my new girlfriend-- a 1978 Artist Series 2635. (A hybrid copy of an L-4/ES-175) Besides some corosion on the PU covers she's a work of art, with a one-of-a-kind tone as well. I'm still on cloud nine.

post-365-1136403240_thumb.jpg

Edited by coltrane

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Film-critic screener DVDs.

Free so far this year:

Walk the Line

In Her Shoes

Broken Flowers

Match Point

Pride and Prejudice

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

The Fastest Indian in the World

Madagascar

Woo-hoo! (except for that last one... and, I suspect, the second-to-last one.)

Do the studios make you send those back after you watch them? I thought I heard that they kept a close watch on how long critics could keep screener DVDs, because they don't want critics showing them to "regular" people.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood