Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Best Soundtrack This Year.

I think we used to vote for this every year, so I am curious as to what prevailing opinion looks like right now. The only redeeming feature of The Brown Bunny was the way it paired an incredible soundtrack with lengthy first-person driving scenes. I can't figure out how Vincent Gallo can pair such impeccable taste (and cinematographic acumen) with such poor creative judgements, such as the end of the film.

That being said, these few come to mind:

Broken Flowers

Trilogy: A Weeping Meadow

The Sun

A Toute de Suite

Les Choristes

Last Days

Trilogy is made up primarily of traditional music, I believe, some of which was also the basis for Ulysses' Gaze. But it's wonderful all the same.

Broken Flowers had an effective, but redundant, soundtrack, as did 2046. But can anything really compete with the soundtrack for Bob Dylan: No Direction Home this year?

Otherwise, I haven't heard any original soundtracks this year that made me want to buy a copy.

Otherwise, I haven't heard any original soundtracks this year that made me want to buy a copy.

What'd ya think of the score for King Kong?

Edited by Christian

I've listened Garden State to death. Not an original soundtrack, but it's a great collection of songs, especially Simon & Garfunkel's "Only Living Boy in New York."