Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Through a Screen Darkly

122 posts in this topic

It's been quite a week so far at the Overstreet house. I've seen the Narnia film twice, Haneke's "Cache," "Trilogy: the Weeping Meadow," unleashed a new monthly column at SPU's Response, signed on to be the movie reviewer for a flashy mainstream skater/surf-punk magazine called Risen. (I'm not making that up), and got a surprise call from my agent on Friday, saying that a publisher has called him excited about giving me my first book about looking closer at the movies.

Tentative title: <i>Through a Screen Darkly</i>.

(Although I'm tempted to just change it to Through a Glass Darkly...)

They're eager to put the pedal to the metal, which means we might even get the book out this year. I'll report more when I know it. I haven't had my first conversation with the publisher yet, but the contract is on the table, and we're all very grateful.

Oh, and about that skater magazine? How could I say no? I just seemed like it would be such a hoot, getting a chance to recommend things like <i>The Return </i>and <i>Mean Creek</i> to THAT audience.

Anyway, it's going to be a very interesting year, to say the least.

Edited by Overstreet

Congratulations, Jeffrey, that's fantastic news!

Wow, exciting

Congrats, Jeffery.

I don't know where you get the time for all that stuff and still have time to post here.

Congratulatons, Jeffrey. You'll be keeping busy over the next year!

That's great news, Jeffrey. I tried to post a comment on your blog this morning, but I see now that it didn't go through. Probably my mistake.

Anyway, can you reveal the name of the publisher?

Congrats Jeff! This is all great news. Get those skater kids hooked on some foreigns, will ya? The world is much more ready to "think global" than when we were kids.

-s.

I'll mention the publisher as soon as I've delivered the official secret handshake to them.

As you might imagine, you will all play an important part in this book. The ideas for it have grown through a lot of conversations, some of them on this board.

Congratulations, Jeffrey! It's great to see your talent being recognized. It brings hope to those less, um, well . . . you know.

Good grief, O-Street, when do you have time to sleep?? I can barely keep my life together with my one job and one book contract! Congrats - that is huge news. I'm so excited for you!

Sara Zarr wrote:

: Good grief, O-Street, when do you have time to sleep??

I think he outsources that. smile.gif

Congratulations, Jeff. Make sure we all get comps. wink.gif

Tempted briefly to be disappointed that your big news wasn't baby-related, but only briefly. tongue.gif

I think books and monthly columns are a little bit like pregnancy/childbirth, anyway...

Congrats on all counts. I'm a fan of your ideas and your writing (as well as your example), so I'm as pleased for your new readers as I am for you.

Way to go, Jeff! Can't wait to lay my shekels down for your book!

Denny

Congrats on all counts. I'm a fan of your ideas and your writing (as well as your example), so I'm as pleased for your new readers as I am for you.

Yeah. What Tim said. Your name was one of the reasons I came here. In addition to "Congratulations", I say that it's about time.

So great! And to think you're going to write the darn thing in 23 days...

wink.gif

Edited by Ron

Congrats Jeff. Ahem, I mean, "Whoa! Totally gnarly dude!" surfing.gif

Edited by Michael Todd

Way to go, Jeff!  Can't wait to lay my shekels down for your book!

You mean we don't all get comps?

Heh. What I meant was, I expect you all... ALL OF YOU... to line up for some volunteer editing as the deadline draws near. I've never had a six-month deadline on a book before... heck, I've never written a non-fiction book before... so I'm feeling the pressure.

Your encouragement goes a long way, though. Thanks, everybody. Working on it, I will have the sense that I'd better not blow it. You're a formidable board of review!

Hopefully, I can drop hints about our conversation there, and lure in some more people to this all-consuming community.

Congrats, man! Those are some pretty neat gigs you've signed up for. I wish you the best. biggrin.gif

IT IS DONE!!

And I mean that in the triumphant way, not in the "It is finished!" way.

Man, I re-wrote entire chapters this last weekend. It has been gruelling. And I haven't been to see a movie in months. (X3, sadly, doesn't really count as a real movie.) I can't wait to get back to "work."

Well, I'm not sure. Can one "line up" at Amazon? ;)

If you have some spare change, why not pre-order?

Woohoo, you're on Amazon.com! You have arrived! ;):D

Congratulations!

Thanks, Ann.

Now, if they'll just post the cover...

The cover should be up soon.

I hope it proves helpful for your church group.