Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

FIFA World Cup '06

You bring up an interesting point. We in America seem always to enjoy beating up on officials. Now in "our" football, a lot more is going on at the same time and we have "zebras" all over the place. In fact, a general trend in North American sports is more eyes on the action and instant replay in addition. What is it about FIFA that would be so wed to only one man on the field (even if, as has been the case in various matches, some "one men" have been more able than others in tamping down the game he is running)?

As I look at the quarterfinal matches, I figure the finals will be Brazil vs the Argentina/Germany winner. And I'd hate to set the odds on the match.

Yup. I'm going with "shoulds" as a guess. Heck, I'm not even impressed with Brazil at all. I'm thinking Germany all the way now. Arg has been up and down. The game that has stumped me is England/Portugal. Which team will England field, aggressive with guys actually there where the crosses land? Which ref will show up, the kind that let France and Spain play? Or one who calls the game closely, in which case, Portugal comes up short by the middle of the game?

MattPage   

: As I look at the quarterfinal matches, I figure the finals will be Brazil vs the

: Argentina/Germany winner. And I'd hate to set the odds on the match.

It's starting to look that way, but don't bet against our boys just yet, we've not yet hit our stride. If we do then we could be a force to be reckoned with.

Matt

M. Leary   

England's in through Portugal. Especially if they get the kinks worked out on that 5-1 formation and Rooney is good and miffed on the field.

Then they will have to play Brazil, correct (or France)? That one is a really tough call, especially with the UK midfield defending well. Ghana had Brazil locked up because they performed well mid-field and kept Ronaldinho busy.

Edited by MLeary

It's too bad that Germany and Argentina play so early. I've been most impressed by those two teams. I think England will have the advantage in their quarterfinal, because Portugal is really going to miss Deco.

I wonder if Brazil will continue to play to the level of their opponents. It was only when they were finally scored upon and were behind that they seemed to wake up. Ghana seemed to have all kinds of time in the attacking third, they just couldn't finish. If Brazil lets France possess the ball with so little pressure close to the goal, then we could see a real shoot-out.

As far as the ref's are concerned, one of my favorite soccer columnists, Robert Wagman, who writes at Soccertimes has suggested for a while now that MSL experiment with two refs in the center. He says that there have been discussions at FIFA about this, and that they would likely allow a domestic league (especially a lower level domestic league) to give it a try.

Nothing says World Class Championship match quite like alternating free throws.
Ouch! That's not quite fair. A penalty kick is more complicated than an unobstructed shot at a basket. Leave it to a North Carolinian to make such a comparison... <_<

Expect us to qualify for the knock-out stages, then beat Ecuador in the second round, and lose to Holland on penalties in the quarter finals (as usual) lol.

Okay, so it was Portugal instead of Holland, but my crystal ball was pretty accurate (I'm sad to say).

By the way, am I the only one who thinks the American announcers, including Marcello Balboa are awful?

--Spends whole first half ragging on Beckham in Ecuador game. "You need something more from him than free kicks and set plays..."

--Beckham scores on free kick...

--"...And that's what Beckham is in there for..."

--Brazil's goalkeeper blocks a shot to keep France from going up 2-0 in the 90th minute. "If that goes in, the game is over." [You think?]

Also, isn't there a difference between "missing" a PK and having one blocked?

Oh, ABSOLUTELY!! The one thing good about the US going home early was the relief from every analysis and comment turning into a plug for an upcoming game involving the US (this during stirring games and also while ignoring much anticipated matchups yet to come that did NOT involve the US).

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Brazil deserved nothing in this Cup. They never played well. I have no pity for them.

stu   

Why was it so inevitable? Why?

(falls to knees)

Why, God?

Still, the way France are playing they will give Portugul a good pounding, and maybe they can even give Christiano Ronaldo's groin a good stamping while they're at it. He has a horrid, smug face.

Still, the way France are playing they will give Portugul a good pounding, and maybe they can even give Christiano Ronaldo's groin a good stamping while they're at it. He has a horrid, smug face.

I thought that Rooney showed that such was red card material. Would that not play into their hands?

IPB Image

Ha. Not this year. When will you guys realize that rooting for Brazil is like rooting for the U.S.S.R., I mean, uh, Microsoft. Yeah, Microsoft, that's it.

That being said, I feel bad for Cafu. He ran and played his heart out. Brazil is where it is because he was one of the only ones.

The Sundance Channel is getting it's finger into World Cup. This Saturday, they will be airing Goal Dreams about the Palestinian national team trying to qualify for this year's tourney and The Other Final a 2003 doc about a match between Bhutan and Montserrat -- the two lowest ranked teams.

M. Leary   

That being said, I feel bad for Cafu. He ran and played his heart out. Brazil is where it is because he was one of the only ones.

Kaka was also fun to watch this year. I am officially bored now by the Cup. I have no interest in any of the European teams and now just want to see Italy and Portugal get soundly beaten.

The Sundance Channel is getting it's finger into World Cup. This Saturday, they will be airing Goal Dreams about the Palestinian national team trying to qualify for this year's tourney and The Other Final a 2003 doc about a match between Bhutan and Montserrat -- the two lowest ranked teams.

I would love to see that latter doc. The two lowest teams this year refused to play each other in a similar match.

Kaka was also fun to watch this year. I am officially bored now by the Cup. I have no interest in any of the European teams and now just want to see Italy and Portugal get soundly beaten.

Sure, but it was more than just being fun to watch. I was always under the impression that Cafu was a defenseman and he played good defense this year. But I was struck by how often he was well involved at the other end, making great crosses and setting up others to make a good cross. I wearied of Brazil back in 1970 when all the Brazillian MK's came back to the gulag dancing and celebrating from their third (allowing them to be the first nation to keep the Cup). That being said, I could not help but have admiration for Cafu this time around in a way I haven't for a Brazillian since Pele'.

Much as I dislike Germany, I really like their aggressive attack and sharpshooting midfielders. I'm quietly rooting for them.

I am officially bored now by the Cup. I have no interest in any of the European teams and now just want to see Italy and Portugal get soundly beaten.

If that happens and Germany and France meet in the finals, can we make it more interesting by saying the winner gets Alsace?

I was thinking along those lines too. Both world wars were awful cluttered by additional combatants, so I had to go all the way back to the Franco-Prussian War. I guess I'm betting that it will be avenged.

Both world wars were awful cluttered by additional combatants, so I had to go all the way back to the Franco-Prussian War.

The wars needed yellow and red cards. That would have uncluttered the fields a bit.

MattPage   

Oh, and by the way all you English fans...how you like that PK format now? (Ooooh, that's beneath me, rubbing salt in the wound...this message will definitely have to get deleted.)

Ken

Only someone truly ignorant of international football could make that comment. We have NEVER liked penalties. This was our 6th Penalty shoot out, and we have only ever won one. The others FWIW went as foillows

World Cup 1990 - LOST to Germany in the semi finals

Euro 1996 (in front of an English crowd) - WON against the other perrennial great-clubs-shame-about-the-national-side uneracheivers Spain

...but then...

Euro 1996 - LOST to Germany in the semi finals (again)

World Cup 1998 - LOST to Argentine in the 2nd round

Euro 2004 - LOST to Portugal in the quarter finals

World Cup 2006 - LOST to Portugal in the quarter finals

We hate them, and the portugese knew that, and that they were good at them, and that frankly they only had to draw to go through.

In fact the Germany Argentina game featured two teams whose last dose of World Cup penalties had seen both of them beat England. WE HATE THEM. Frankly I'd prefer a toss of a coin. (and with odds of 5-1 who wouldn't?)

But anyway to the match

Why was it so inevitable? Why?

(falls to knees)

Why, God?

As Stu said horribly predictable, at least if my unyielding optimism hadn't got in the way. The thing is that I still stand by the fact that we could have won the tournament. But we never performed, until we were down to 10 men, and even then it was only slight and it was too late.

Where I was wrong wrong wrong was in my opinion of Eriksson. I thought it had it all under control - that he had a few aces up his sleeve. Sadly he didn't. He was suppose to be this psycological genius, but that is exactly where he failed. Penalties are all about Psychology. Any player in the tournament can put the ball in such a place that no keep er in the tournament could stop it. But it's all about who has the balls in front of 100,000 fans. Psychology.

But the psychology was shot before we even got there. Rooney has always been a headcase, always likely to do something stupid and get sent off. Had no-one ever shown him Beckham's card against Argentina? Anything like that is always going to be a straight red. It's his own fault, and I hope that the press doesn't go easy on him. They didn't on Beckham and it was the making of him. It would be tragedy if they let up and as a result he never learnt Beckham's lessons and did the same again in four years. But partly he did it cos he was frustrated, and because none of his managers have hlped him get passed it. IN the case of Rooney, it's a sad indictment on a supposedly psychologial genius that Ronaldo had a better grasp of how to harness Rooney's fragile mind than Erikson (I just don't care about spelling anymore).

Then the tactics. Lampard, who I'm told is a great player, has been woeful this tournament. he and gerrard play the same way and have cramped each other's style, and Lampard's usually impressive shooting has changed into being unable to hit a barn door with a banjo. So why persist with the new 4-5-1 formation instead of getting rid of Lampard and playing Crouch (who was briliant for all his physical awkwardness) up front? No we stick with the 4-4-2. Then Rooney gets substituted and who do we take off - surely the even-more-ineffective-than-he-was-in-other-games Lampard, not he took off, playing-quite-well Joe Cole.

Then facing a penatly shootout with his two best penatly takers injured and his third best sent off, he decides to sit out extra-time, rather than using his final sub in an attacking move, to risk getting a goal, he waits until 2 minutes before the end before bringing on a player to take a penalty who hasn't even had the chance to get into the game.

Then those penalties. Lampard, who I do believe is nroally a class player, was just never going to score. NEVER. If your mind falters even slightly in that long walk from the halfway line you are in trouble, and with more shots in this world cup than any other player, and not a single goal to show for them, it was unlikely that he would be able to keep that thought out of his mind.

Gerard, disappointing, but he has also had a poor tournament by his usual (supposedly high) standards. Carrick was never going to score once he had been asked to take it again, and it was harsh of the ref to make him, but again the question has to be asked why wasn't he clear in his mind how they should be taken? Again you have to question Eriksson here, particularly given that his sole reason for being on the pitch was to take that penalty. Hargreves did well after a fantastic performance - I've wanted him to get a chance to shine for a long time - so good on him.

Eriksson once made a stupid comment about penalties which has been well and truly shown to be poppycock. And in a psychological competition to only score 1 out of 4 reflects very, very badly on him indeed.

I'm glad he's gone, but man we have McLaren now - whose main plus point was that he had been groomed by Eriksson. Pardon me if I'm not optimistic.

As for the other games I said (I think) all along that a European team would probably win it. At least I got that right. Unlike Stu, I'd like POrtugal to win it. IT's boring if one of the other three win it again, and it means that at least I wasn't far off.

Matt

As for the other games I said (I think) all along that a European team would probably win it. At least I got that right. Unlike Stu, I'd like POrtugal to win it. IT's boring if one of the other three win it again, and it means that at least I wasn't far off.

Don't European teams always win when the World Cup is held in Europe? The next one is being hosted by South Africa, so Brazil (or possibly Argentina) will be a shoo-in there. Given the extreme heat, England may as well stay home (assuming that we even qualify).

I am so bloody miserable this morning lol.

MattPage   

Yeah, but a lot of people seemed to be overlooking that and saying Brazil / Argentina could win it.

I'm hoping against hopes that if it's not England next time (Ha, some chance), then it will be an african nation that does it. Unlikely, but really it's too old to tell. Brazil were unconvincing, and they have an old side, and now, little chance to give experience to younger players.

So it's wide open really.

Matt

MattPage   

:Sorry to rub salt in the wound, let's talk about something else.

: Say, how about that "hand of God" goal?

: Peace.

: Ken

lol - that was very very funny!

Matt