Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Time for A&F Tomatoes?

Alan,

With the new upgrades and the ability to add film-ratings on each film's thread, is there any way to do this idea?

On each film's specific thread, have some kind of pop-up page that includes 500-letter reviews written by any of the board members and credited to them? Like an A&F Rotten Tomatoes function?

It would be so cool to go to "The Squid and the Whale" thread and open a panel that includes a list of two-or-three-sentence reviews credited to the board members that wrote them.

I'm not sure how you'd set this up, but I'd find that FAR more interesting than the star-rating function.

I think this is a great idea - perhaps we could have it be the purple grape, or the golden bread, or the silver chalice, or ...

Denny

Is the chalice half full, or half empty?

Crimsonline,

Ah, yes - I was actually thinking of four chalices, but your comment reminds me of a discussion about this kind of rating we use that I've been having with some friends.

When we go from one to four stars, as we do, then what exactly is a 1 star - is it giving something to the film? We don

Sounds like it would be quite a bit of work to keep up with this all, but it would be nice to see an entire year's worth of releases in one quick shot. It seems though that setting up a Metacritic/RT type resource would require an entirely new website, which is greatly interesting.

It may be tough to settle on an appropriate image. I guess a cross wouldn't work that well, half a cross could be problematic theologically. Half a dove may come across as gruesome to particular visitors.

I don't care so much about a rating system as I do about letting people turn in a short statement about the film. Even RT misrepresents reviews all the time with its RIPE or ROTTEN symbols. A lot of those "rotten" ratings are attached to reviews that praise the film, and a lot of the "ripe" ratings represent reviews that were rather mixed. I want opinions, not points. But that's just me.

Alan,

If you wanted to create a new section called A&F that works just like any other section, we could post instructions telling people to post a review of 300 words or less.

We'd create a thread for each film as it opens, and people could post their own blurb-reviews, or excerpt their long reviews and link to the full thing.

No "replies" or discussions would be allowed in that section.

I would be willing to sign on as administrator of that section. I would need the ability to delete entries that surpassed the word count.

People could post the 1-5 star emoticon-symbols with their reviews to indicate their rating. I don't think we should develop a complicated rating system... their statement can address the vagueries of content, quality, etc. It would need to be simple.

Or, we could start something like this as a completely separate message board, and format it to look more like a professional press-oriented site instead of a chat board. But that would take a lot of work by someone other than me...

Just an idea. It's up to you...

Hey, just an fyi for your guys, the new version of Wordpress has some very robust user-privilidge features that look like they would fit perfectly into a project like this. I've been using Wordpress for my blog and have a bit of experience with it. I could try to set something up for you guys if you like.

I'm working on something along these lines. Requirements will include: no user re-registration.

Well, Wordpress uses SQL as its backend, but I wouldn't have the foggiest if it can be made to use the forum user database. I don't have nearly the kung fu to fit that requirement Alan.

Just out of curiosity, how are you thinking of approaching this from the software side?